My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, December 10, 2010

Fit Momma Question: Besting the Buffet?

Fit Momma Kelsey sent this one in and I think we all can relate:

I had really good intentions when I went to my work party last night, but ended up really blowing it. The buffet got the best of me.  I ate way too much and I feel really guilty about it today. What is the best way to recover?

some appetizing food at banquet table


Ah, how many times have I done this? Buffets are killer, I must say.

Before the Buffet
First of all, prepare for the night ahead. The best way to do that is to EAT! I have done the whole. “I’m not eating all day so I can eat whatever I want tonight” routine and I'm officially not a fan. The party ends up being all about the food. I barely remember who was there let alone conversations because I’m so engrossed in getting some more meatballs, artichoke dip, chocolate cheesecake and all seven kinds of cookies.

So, leading up to the fun evening, be sure to eat your several small meals (did you notice I said small?) and snacks throughout the day. This will keep you far away from the I’m-so-starving-I’m-pulling-up-a-chair-to-the-buffet-table frenzy that you want to avoid.

Face Off with the Buffet
Check out what is available to you and make a few decisions as to what is worth trying and what isn’t. If you are a “try everything” type of buffet eater, just be sure all your servings are about a spoonful. Trust me, you’ll be full after a plate’s worth of testing.

I personally love to load up on the green salads and fruit. I am confident those things will be there because I BRING THEM. I always bring something that I am jazzed to eat and still feel great afterwards. I may have a bit of protein on the side, but the veggies and fruit are my main squeezes.

And dessert? If it is worth it, it's a sure bet I'll be having some. If it is store bought, stale cookies from Walgreens? No thanks. I’ll save my cheat meal for another time.

After the Buffet
So, let’s say after all this preparation and coaching, you still blew it (Join the club. It's a little crowded in here). Now what?  Take that failure, beat yourself up with it relentlessly, then find yourself face first in a plate of homemade peppermint patties the next day out of despair?

Nope. Just chalk it up as a blunder, then move on, my friend.

 Eat light the next day. Be sure to include lots of vegetables and fruits and other fiber to get that food to make a hasty exit (if you know what I mean).

 Down your gallon of water.

And MOVE! Exercise will assist in your digestion, help you pick yourself up from your fender bender (or total demolition depending on how bad it was), and get you back on course.

Just in time for the next buffet.  Think how much stronger you'll be the next time around!

How about you, Fit Mommas?  What gets you at the buffet line?  What helps you keep things in check?  Comment below to share WHAT WORKS!

I must send out another thank you for the emails and questions.  There will be no handmade gifts for Christmas at our house this year (a totally foreign concept for me) -- so I would love to take some time to hear what is on your mind.  Contact me here.

Related Posts:
Party, Party, Party!
On the Clock
Neighbor Holiday Gifts
Attack of the Goodie Plates
Stocking Stuffers for Fit Mommas
More Fit Momma Question Posts

Like this?  Want more?  Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here.  Thanks!

4 comments:

Tia said...

oh i love you im printing this out to read before I hit all the parties this holiday. I just want to survive one of them without crashing and burning!

Trainer Momma said...

Tia -- No problemo! Just find the best stuff and save your calories for it. A lot of times, I'll ask myself, "Do I already know what that tastes like?" If it is the same old stuff, I usually skip it. If it is something interesting and new, I'm all over it.

the Villamor's said...

i would just throw away all my expectations and allow myself to eat what I want and how much i want....that sounds like a green light to have a pig fest but it just allowed me to eat w/o the guilt which usually led me to eat more because i would think "i have got to eat this now because tomorrow it won't be here!". oh...and i didn't weigh myself...that is unnecessary torture!

Audrey Carlson said...

I read your post last week and thought gee we're thinking a lot a like. Here is the post I did on my Healthy Wife Happy Life blog after I attended two parties in one night.

They have similar basic ideas as yours and a couple of others.

Thought I'd share.

Thanks for having such awesome inspiring post all the time. Me and my ladies love to get good info from you!!!!

http://ahealthywifeequalshappylife.blogspot.com/2010/12/audreys-holiday-part-ytips.html

Related Posts with Thumbnails