I LOVE to bake and often times I give baked goods to our neighbors for Christmas gifts… Do you have some healthy food ideas that we can give our neighbors besides cookies, that will still be yummy?
Neighbor gifts are one of my favorite holiday traditions. It really helps me connect once again with those around me who I've only been hastily waving to for too long.
I definitely have been slave to the kitchen many a holiday season making my three different types of cookies, hand dipped chocolates, and cinnamon rolls.
However, I could do without the time I delivered a plate of goodies to a neighbor I didn't know well back in my Tucson days. I had a baby in one arm, a plate of goodies in the other, and an eager smile pasted on my face. After I rang the doorbell, I heard an enormous dog hit the door over and over. Along with his kung fu with the door, his bark was deep and loud. I knew there was one VERY large dog behind that rattling door. I was just about to cut and run when the door opened wide. There was my neighbor who was awkwardly trying to talk on the phone, talk to me, save us from Killer (the name I fondly gave the dog), dripping water from her newly washed hair -- and she was wearing a towel. That's it. Needless to say, I threw the plate of cookies at her, yelled "Happy Holidays" over the crazed barking of Killer and let her strategically fix the placement of her very small bath towel without an audience. As I quickly let the gate slam behind me, just glad both my daughter and I both had our faces still on, she yelled a thank you and explained she had answered the door because she was expecting her boyfriend. Nice. I looked back and Killer was eating the cookies off the floor.
Over the past years, there has been a shift in the types of food I give out. I figure everyone is overloaded with refined sugar and white flour, so I might as well be the one to give them some other options. Yes, I know I am often viewed as the Scrooge when it comes to holiday food (it comes with the territory), but really I do appreciate yummy food that is healthy to boot.
Food Ideas:
Homemade Salsa
Homemade Hummus and Whole Wheat Pita Bread
Oranges
Fruit Basket
Homemade Granola
Dry Soup Mix with directions on how to whip it into a soup
Nuts
Favorite Rub
Favorite Seasoning Mix and ideas on how to use it
Homemade Pesto
Homemade Sweet Breads
Homemade Cookies
Veggies and Dip
Bag of Salad and Favorite Dressing (I will kiss your face if you drop this off at my door)
Homemade Muffins for Christmas morning
Dry or Wet Muffin Mix with directions on how to bake them
And while we're at it, why do we have to stick with food? There are millions of other ideas out there that your family can share with another that will be just as meaningful:
Non-Food Ideas:
Poinsettias
Caroling
CD of Christmas Music
Calendar
Stationary
New Game - homemade or bought
Favorite Recipe
Potpourri
Kitchen Utensils - whisk, measuring cups or spoons, pitcher, etc.
Balloon(s) -- my kids love this one!
Ornament
Something crafty made by you (totally NOT an option for me)
Wrapping Paper and Bows
Oh my. I haven't even scratched the surface.
What about you, Fit Mommas? What are some holiday gifts you like to give that are on the healthier side? Comment below and tell us WHAT WORKS!
Like this? Want more? Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here. Thanks!



8 comments:
I wish you were my neighbor!
Come on down, Vennesa! The weather's great at 70 degrees here in TX :) You'll love it!
i made some applesauce/cinnamon ornaments for a church activity that turned out very cute and that is what the teachers at school are getting this year. I don't make goodies because I know what happens to the ones i get(shhh....). I have done the snowman poop idea or just a few chocolate pretzel rods in a nice bag. Just enough that didn't take me long to make, they don't' feel burdened to eat, and makes them feel loved;)
Thanks for all the great ideas!! I was just thinking about this topic today and trying to decide what I am going to do! ;)
Good ideas!!!
However my neighbors may kick me out of the neighborhood if I stopped delivering them real Christmas treats. I reckon I can oblige since it's only once a year. :)
trainer momma, you just made my day! thanks for the linky! ;) And so glad to see this post, I've been waiting for you to post something about healthy neighbor gifts. Yea!
Thanks for the great ideas! I love treats, but there are SO MANY around the holidays that they become a burden. I want to eat the giant plate of cookies but I know I shouldn't and I also know I just ate the other giant plate of cookies yesterday. I would welcome a poinsettia or basket of oranges and think I'll try something like that this year.
i made the cinnamon almonds and boy was there A LOT of sugar. i cut it in half for my second batch and think i could have cut it down more. they were yummy, but....
Post a Comment