My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, December 10, 2010

Gingerbread Cut-Out Cookies

Tis the season for some gingerbread!  I'm always trying to get more healthy snacks and fun food for my kids to eat after school or in their lunches.  I make their treats because I can cut back on the sugar and limit bad-for-them fats.

Control, ladies, it's all about control.

Cookies and breads with lots of spices, like gingerbread cookies, are the perfect candidates for "healthy-ing up" the recipe.
gingerbread men
After I made the Gingerbread Men, the big kids hid them and told their younger
brother they all ran away.  They sent him on a scavenger hunt to find them.
Totally cute.



Gingerbread Cut-Out Cookies
by www.trainermomma.com

1/2 cup applesauce, unsweetened
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup molasses
1 egg
3 cups whole wheat white flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp ground cloves
2 Tb cold water

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Mix all the ingredients together until blended.  Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.

On a well-floured counter, roll out dough to about 1/4-in. thickness.  Cut out with cookie cutters of your choice.  Place on cookie sheets that have been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.

Bake for 10-11 minutes or until the edges are firm.

Your yield depends on how big your cookie cutters are.  I used a gingerbread man that was 3.25 inches tall.

It made 3 dozen cookies at 57 calories per cookie.

To find a printer friendly copy of this recipe, click here.

Like this?  Want more?  Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here.  Thanks!

5 comments:

Alisa J said...

I've been looking for a yummy and healthy gingerbread cookie recipe! Thanks!

Trainer Momma said...

This one fits the bill for all of us. It is definitely not as sweet as the ones you'd buy commercially, but has that touch of molasses. The kids and the Doc are totally digging them.

Mirien said...

I'm amazed as I read the ingredient list! Only 1/4 c. of sugar and no butter or oil? Yahoo! I've been using whole wheat flour in my gingerbread cookies for years, but I've got to try this recipe. I'm sure it will be a hit around here. Thanks!

Trainer Momma said...

I have to say, they are definitely on the "healthy" tasting side,but like I said, my family does not seem to care. Cute gingerbread men? Gingerbread tasting? They're gone.

Lori said...

How fun!

Related Posts with Thumbnails