My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Water

Aids digestion.
Cleans out the system.
Transports nutrients to muscles.
Keeps the ole' metabolism tickin'.
Nature's best appetite suppressant.

This is it, you are seriously serious about losing the lbs. You have a new best friend: WATER. It is such a boring, predictable thing to say on a fitness blog, but when it comes to health there is just no denying that water is simply on your side. It has no calories, you can drink to your heart's content--that's easy to swallow!

How much?

It is the widely accepted rule of thumb to drink 8 cups of water a day. Frankly, no one knows who started this, and like all topics in health there are varying opinions on this exact number.

What I do KNOW is this:
Water makes us less hungry.


If you are trying to lose weight, for heaven sakes, drink some H20. In fact for weight loss, go for the

GALLON CHALLENGE.
One hundred and twenty-eight ounces, baby!
128 oz!


I challenge my clients to fill up a gallon jug with water in the morning and don't go to bed that night until that gallon jug is empty. Of course, please don't drink it all once, but throughout your day.

You are thinking I've lost it. The kids have finally put her over the edge. It is not as hard/crazy as it sounds. Wake up, drink about 24 oz of water to start your day. You've just been sleeping for 7-8 hours (or if you are me then 4 hours--that's being generous) and your body will LOOOOOVE being reydrated with some of the clear stuff.

After breakfast, drink water - a lot - like 16-24 oz.
Drink water before your workout (16-24 oz.).
Drink water during your workout (16-24 oz.).
Drink water after workout workout (16-24 oz.).
By the time you finish your workout, you are already half way done. SWEEET!
Then just finish the rest of your water throughout the day.

If you do this, I promise you will simply not consume as many calories as you usually do. Yes, you'll be running to the bathroom every hour (your body adjusts with time :), but you won't be eating as much and able to lose weight easier and faster. I've been drinking a gallon of water daily for 11 years now, it's an integral part of my life. I can't imagine not having my huge water jug with me in the car as I run the kids to gymnastics, or sitting on the kitchen counter as I make food for this crew, or as I type this fitness blog. Water is my friend.

TRAINER MOMMA TIP #1: When you are hungry, drink some water first, then wait about 10 minutes. If you are still hungry, eat something. It is for real, and not just some "I'm bored/tired/stressed" hunger pang.

TRAINER MOMMA TIP #2: If you haven't gotten the message yet, then I'll say it again. Finish off every meal and snack with 24 oz or so of water. At the dinner table, Dad, Grandma, and Grandpa have the nice glass cups, the kids have the colored kids cups from Ikea, and I have the big orange plastic cup with permanent lipstick stains on the edge -- it is my cup that holds enough agua for me to wash down dinner with.

Not trying to lose weight (you lucky gal!)? Water is still essential to good health. I would recommend around 96 ounces a day.
Another thing I've found that promotes more water drinking is simply investing money into it. The kids were able to choose their own very cool water bottle to take on outings and in their lunchbox. We installed a reverse osmosis system for the kitchen and -- holy cow! -- the water tastes so good that even the dog drinks more!

So, step up the water and your body and family will thank you! Let me know if you decide to take on the GALLON CHALLENGE! It works, I tell you! Get chugging!

4 comments:

Jen said...

Mandi Lou...I want to be just like you when I grow up!! You are such an inspiration to so many people. I absulutely love this blog, I don't even know who told me about it, but I am so thankful they did! You are incredible and for some reason you always know what it is I need to read about on any given day! I have been feeling guilty that I am one of your "blog stalkers" so I am finally fessing up that I check it out often. It has got myself on my treadmill every morning for the last 3 weeks! You are awesome and I miss you so much...can't wait for you to come back home!
Love ya,
Jen

kemp-y-QUA!! said...

fantastic! im going to try the gallon challenge, although i have already lost 1/2 my baby weight so far. (thanks birth!!)

love the new header pic-its brilliant!

Chiemi said...

I found you through Amy, but I love this post! I'm pregnant right now, but I bet a gallon of water a day would do me and the baby a world of good. I'm going to try it!

Michelle said...

Mandi, thanks to you, I've been having to frequent the bathroom much more often. Just wanted to say thanks. ;)

Love your blog though! Thanks for all the great tips that I've never heard of!

Related Posts with Thumbnails