My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Party, Party, Party!


CLICK HERE
to enter the GIVEAWAY of a
NEW F6 Polar Heart Rate Monitor!

You seriously need this.

And back to the program:

It was December 3, 1998.

I was done teaching school for the day and changed into an oversized t-shirt and sweats with elastic around the ankles. I nervously went to meet Ben for the first time. Who was this new man in my life? Ben was my new personal trainer.

Yep – eleven years ago today was the first day of a changed my life:

First day I lifted a weight.
First day I committed to doing cardio regularly.
First day I REALLY sweat.
First day I cut out refined sugar from my diet.
First day I eliminated enriched flour from my life.
First day I stopped drinking soda.
First day I drank a gallon of water.
First day I realized there were more vegetables in the world than a bag of baby carrots.

December 3rd has always stuck with me for many reasons, but not only because that was the day I made an ENORMOUS life change and have never looked back. I also remember it because it was –hello—December 3rd. Who in their right mind eliminates sugar, white flour, soda, etc. and commits to exercise six days a week in the beginning of December?

I did. And I’m glad I did.

Basically, I figured it this way:

If I could implement and live with those new habits in December – the hardest month of year health wise – then I KNEW I could live that way anytime of the year. I did pull it off, treating myself with a goody only on Christmas day, and continued to drop weight and inches throughout the holiday season. Up until that point I had only been successful at one thing: failing. This was a huge confidence booster for me.

So, that brings me to now. I took a look at my calendar and it blew me away:

Relief Society Christmas party, Book Club, Gingerbread House decorating party, church Christmas party, the Doc’s Holiday party, two kids’ Winter Celebrations, Candy Train decorating party, Christmas Eve feast, Christmas Day, my anniversary, then of course New Year’s.

I’m not even throwing in all the food at work, the plates of cookies from friends and neighbors, Sunday dinners, date nights… Whew! Frankly, I love all the parties. Bring on the people and festivities– I love it! So, I’m not going to stay home just to be safe from the food. Nevertheless, this busy season adds up to A LOT OF FOOD. Like, waaaaayyyyy more calories than I’m used to.



How are we going to navigate through this calorie-laden month, ladies?

Honestly evaluate yourself. Are you at the “Give me the whole batch of fudge now or someone will get hurt!” level? Or are you at the “I can trust myself with one, lovely piece of fudge” level? We all are at different levels of trust on the food spectrum, and only you are the judge. Partake according to your level of responsibility. If you can't handle it, stay away. If you can be trusted, enjoy.

Pick and choose. I do make deliberate decisions before each event as far as what I’m going to put in my mouth. Let’s be honest, we typically know the food is going to be awesome at some events and marginal at others. I know, I know… It will all be cooked/baked with love but some of it is just not going to knock our socks off. So, just eat to be full, and save the calories for another night. Easy. Done. No agonizing over the dessert table. Those store-bought, stale M&M cookies that are as hard as a rock are just not worth it. The food at my husband’s holiday is killer, however, – so I will be looking forward to enjoying all of it.

My point is this: If we go for it and dive into ALL the dishes and desserts at EVERY party this year, there will be some serious damage done (this is where New Year’s Resolutions are born!).

Be honest with yourself, pick and choose your calories wisely – and just enjoy all the people, parties, and spirit of the season.

4 comments:

the mrs. said...

Thanks for the timely inspiration!

Amy said...

Weeellll... I stopped at one piece of fudge.... and one small sliver of cake... and one (well, you saw me). :) I'll keep your advice in mind at the rest of my parties this month!

So many STARS so little time! said...

Happy Anniversary. December: Here I come! And I'm having fun watching you comment # grow for the give away. HOW FUN!

Alicia said...

What a great post. I love reading how other people overcame their eating struggles. This month definately is a struggle for most of us.

Related Posts with Thumbnails