My husband and I entertain a lot. Do you have any suggestions or tips on how to entertain and be a Fit Momma?
It swear for the past fifteen years of my life, I've heard the same phrase every Sunday from the Doc:
"So, who are we having over for dinner today?"
We love to entertain. I love to cook, we both love the conversation, the kids love having friends over to go crazy with. It's never silver spoon fine dining over here, more like paper and plastic, but having friends and family over just works for our family.
For the most part, people know what they are going get when they come here. I can hear the husband in the car on their way over now, "Is she going to serve us rice cakes and carrot sticks?" I do stick to my guns when it comes to healthy food -- but make sure it is so delicious they can't pass it up. My menu usually looks like this:
Main dish
Steamed veggie
Monstrously huge salad
Tons of fruit
Whole wheat bread or rolls
Dessert
For instance, usually some main dish from the blog. Yep, I've served Lasagna packed with spinach, Chili packed with zucchini with a baked potato bar, Hawaiian Haystacks, Vegetable soups galore, etc. Any grain I use is 100% whole wheat and nobody has walked out the front door yet. If it goes well with the meal, I'll have some sides of steamed vegetables.
The best part for me is the salad. You know me, any excuse to go bonkers on salad and I will take it. I get out my biggest bowl and make some killer creation that cannot be passed up. This is pretty much my signature, so I do it every time. I tailor it to go along with the main dish - and make plenty so Jared and I can eat to our heart's content :) A few favorites are my Pear Walnut Salad, Chicken Craisin Salad, Asian Chicken Slaw, and Southwestern Rice and Pinto Bean Salad.
I will always have some big bowl or platter of fruit. And, of course, some of my whole wheat bread or rolls.
As for dessert, that is typically something I will ask them to bring. I try to coordinate my cheat meal with having people over so I can enjoy their dessert fully and not think twice about it.
As I'm sure it is for you, all this eating healthy jazz is who we are and not just something we are doing. We don't shelf all the nutrients when we have guests over. That's when we can go hard core and really enjoy healthy, delicious food with people we admire and love.
And I've never had anyone go running out the door for KFC yet (at least not that I know of :).
How about you, Fit Mommas? How do you fuse entertaining with healthy eating? Comment below and tell us WHAT WORKS!
BTW -- I am not busy making handmade Christmas ornaments or advent calendars. I do, however, love keeping busy with your questions and feedback. Please feel free to contact me here.
Find more Fit Momma Questions here.
Like this? Want more? Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here. Thanks!


0 comments:
Post a Comment