Pish posh. That is all in the past. And frankly, not what I remember about Phoenix at all.
I remember my friends. My dear, dear Phoenix friends who lifted me out of my self pity and gave me reason to sob for weeks when we moved away.
April was the first to reach out. April, my dear red headed friend, could be counted on to be home ALL THE TIME. I was (and am) a stay-at-home mom who hated being at home, but April was the opposite. I could always escape my red carpeted house (yes, it did have blood red carpet. Bloody nose? Quick! Get over the carpet!) and spend hours with April. Between the two of us, we solved every problem in the world. We seriously could take over the White House if we put my blonde head and her red head together. At least it felt like it at the time.
I miss April. I think of her every time I make this perfect, simple Vegetable Soup. Just like April: perfect and simple.
Vegetable Soup
by April McIver
10 cups water
5 Knorr chicken bullion cubes
1 cup barley
1 large pinch of parsley
'1/2 t white pepper
1/2 t tarragon
1 t curry
1 handful of lentils
1 handful of red lentils
Simmer covered for 1 hour.
3 large white potatoes (I used red. I have used sweet potatoes as well)
1 can drained carrots
1 can drained corn
1 can drained green beans
1 bunch of broccoli
4 stalks of celery, chopped
Bring to a boil and simmer for about 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
Makes a ton! You are welcome to use fresh vegetables and add in as many has your heart desires. This is a great one for me when I want veggies, but don't have them all on hand. Cans to the rescue!
For a printable version of this recipe, click here.
Like this? Want more? Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here. Thanks!


2 comments:
I, too, was enormously pregnant when we lived in Phoenix, and COPS regularly filmed in our apartment complex, I KID YOU NOT. Not funny then, but really funny now!
Yum! That recipe looks delicious. There's nothing like being hugely pregnant, and living in a "less than perfect" neighborhood ;) Funny how people show up in our lives at precisely the right moment. Magical.
Will try this recipe! Thanks for sharing...
Diane
Post a Comment