My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Southwestern Rice & Pinto Bean Salad

WOW.  I found this beauty and enjoyed for lunch for nearly a week.  Yes, it does taste as good as it looks.

P8240024

Southwestern Rice and Pinto Bean Salad
adapted from Eating Well by www.trainermomma.com

1 cup brown rice, cooked and cooled (after it is cooked it should end up to be around 2 cups)
2 teaspoons cumin seeds, or 1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 cup olive oil
1/4 cup sherry vinegar
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano, or 1 teaspoon dried
1 large clove garlic, crushed and peeled
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 15-ounce cans pinto beans, rinsed
8 scallions, trimmed and sliced (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 medium bell pepper, (green, yellow, orange or red), chopped (about 1 cup)

Toast cumin in a small skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant and lightly toasted, 1 to 2 minutes for seeds, 1 minute for ground cumin. Transfer to a blender or food processor and let cool for several minutes. Add oil, vinegar, oregano, garlic, salt and pepper and process until the garlic is finely chopped.

Transfer the rice to a large bowl and toss with beans, scallions and bell pepper. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well to combine.

Makes 8 servings at 244 calories for each 1 cup serving.

For a printable version of this recipe, click here.

Like this?  Want more?  Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here.  Thanks!

8 comments:

Carrie said...

TFS! That sounds delish!

Kali said...

Can't wait to try this! Reminds me of this one!

http://www.melskitchencafe.com/2009/09/tamis-southwest-rice-and-bean-salad.html

Ann Hatch said...

Yum... yes please!

I just "created" in a pinch another beany meal- a cup of vegetarian refried beans with a sprinkle of cheese melted on top and a huge heaping of homemade salsa. I really needed something easy and this was good to boot!

Vennesa said...

Thanks for posting this one. I've been looking for ways to add beans to my diet and this one would be easy. The only thing I don't have yet is the sherry vinegar.

Vennesa said...

So the 1 cup of brown rice. Does that mean it's one cup dry, then cook it? Or 1 cup cooked rice.
Making this today!

Trainer Momma said...

That means start with 1 cup of dry rice. After it is cooked, it should be around 2 cups.

Sorry that was ambiguous!

aptfuture said...

Thanks for the great recipe. I made this tonight and it was delicious. I had to make a couple substitutions to match what was in my kitchen. I replaced sherry vinegar with rice vinegar and only used 1 can of pinto beans. It still turned out great! Next time I'll try and follow the recipe exactly.

Trainer Momma said...

Sounds great. I love to hear when the recipe works out...

Related Posts with Thumbnails