My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, September 10, 2010

Fit Momma Question: How Do I Gain Weight?

Have you entered the Trainer Momma One Year Anniversary Giveaway?  Well, I don't want you miss this one (and neither do your feet)!  Find it here.

OK, busy busy week... WHEW!  The preschooler just woke me up from my power nap. Instead of us laying down for the intended 30 minutes, it ended up being around 7 minutes. But, as usual, once I’m up, I’m up!

Let’s down to the question of the week.  Fit Momma Olia (love that name!) asked this question recently:

I have a totally different problem then most Americans - I struggle to keep my weight, and I have no appetite. My question is, how can I gain weight by eating healthy? I've always been thin, I am from Eastern Europe and never learned to like junk food, and I struggle to gain weight. I also can't eat spicy/greasy/sugary for medical reasons. If I don't eat those things, what's there to eat to gain weight?

feet on a bathroom scale - isolated


Olia, I am going to have to answer this question by going back to the books since I have ABSOLUTELY NO PERSONAL EXPERIENCE IN THIS AREA. Nope, putting on weight has never been a struggle for me, in fact, I would say it is a well polished talent of mine.

Nevertheless, it is as completely valid question, although far less prevalent in this country (it affects only 5% of Americans). There are several reasons for this-- some of which are medical problems. If you have been to a doctor to rule out any medical issues for your inability to gain weight, then it is safe to follow the tips below.

 So, if you happen to be in the handful of ladies this applies to -- here you go!

Increase calories
You know how I always am saying, “Calories in. Calories out.”? This still holds true.  Increase your calories slowly by 500- 1,000 calories per day depending on your exercise habits. Just like weight loss, weight gain is also a matter of energy balance. You've got to take in MORE than you expend.

Add nutrient dense foods 
I remember my little brother trying to put on weight in high school.  The plan of attack was to just load him up with endless chocolate chip cookies, milkshakes, unlimited pizza, and soda.  Um -- I do not suggest this method.

Just because you need to put on some poundage doesn’t mean you can become BFF with the nearest greasy burger joint. You are interested in healthy weight gain, not making you a candidate for heart disease. Now you are increasing your calories, you still want to fuel your body with foods that have all the vitamins and minerals your body needs to thrive. This means high-calorie, high-nutrient foods.  Here are a few ideas:
nuts
trail mix
avocados
dark chocolate
olives
seeds
beans
peanut butter
almond butter
flax
oatmeal

Yep, some of these foods do have fat in them -- but it typically is the good kind.  No need to load up on the trans and saturated fats.

Larger portions
You basically eat foods that all of us can and should be eating -- weight losers and weight gainers alike. However, as a weight gainer, you can simply eat more of them than us. Just don’t rub it in, alright?

Eat 5-6 times per day
Skipping meals is often typical for someone who struggles to keep on the weight.  This is not doing anyone any favors. If you have to, set an alarm and eat every 3 hours or so. Even if you are not hungry? Yep, for all that is good, just eat something!

Drink up!
This is an easy way to add calories. Drink low-fat milk, 100% fruit juice, or healthy smoothies (with or without protein) in order to get those extra calories in.

Exercise
As a woman, I’m assuming you are not interested in looking like the Incredible Hulk’s sister. I would suggest lifting weights 3 times a week and keeping your cardio moderate. You need the cardio for heart health, not really as a means to burn a ton of calories. So, be steady with the weights -- and go on walks, bike rides, swims and such to keep your heart pumping strong.

BTW -- my little guy got really quiet while I was writing this.  Looks like someone got a power nap today:

P9100014
YES.
HE IS SLEEPING ON THE STAIRS.

Hey, Fit Mommas -- what about you?  Do any of you out there fall in the 5% of Americans that struggle with keeping the weight on?  Comment below and tell us WHAT WORKS.

Thanks for your questions and emails!  I don't quilt or make burp cloths -- this is what I do and what I love.  Feel free to send any questions, comments, or feedback my way...

Related Posts:
Why Only 1,700 Calories?
Low-Fat for Kids?
Flax Facts
On the Clock
How Much Should You Lift?
Cardio:  How Much?
More Fit Momma Questions Posts

Like this?  Want more?  Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here.  Thanks!

4 comments:

Charlotte said...

My 3-yr-old falls asleep on the stairs too!! Soooo funny! As for gaining weight... well, I've never had that problem either (trying not to be jealous) but your suggestions sound great! Go nut butter!

Alisa J said...

I'm trying not to be jealous either! I look at a cookie and gain weight! Haha. Seriously though, the suggestions are great. I LOVE all of those foods.

sallyavena said...

My niece has a genetic problem that makes it hard to keep on weight and she is an Olympic athlete. Her trainer/nutritionist told her to put healthy fat on everything--literally. She just puts high calorie proteins on everything (her medical condition makes it hard to keep muscle mass so the extra protein is a must), from avocados in the salad to almond/peanut butter on almost everything, and many other tricks, she manages to stay in the healthy range for competition. In college they sent her to a nutritionist because they wouldn't believe that she was not anorexic/bulemic, that's when they started running some medical tests and found that it's genetic. I guess everyone has their problems

Olia said...

Thank you very very much!

Related Posts with Thumbnails