This is a particular pet peeve of this personal trainer (there were 4 words that started with “p” in the last sentence :). This is where in general we women cut ourselves short. Women have been proving themselves left and right for several generations (thank you Susan B. Anthony) – but when we get in the weight room we suddenly turn all meek and weak all over again.
I know, I know. I’ve heard what you are saying right now from nearly EVERY client I’ve worked with:
"I DON’T WANT TO BULK UP."
Of course you don’t.
Who wants to look like this?:
ME NEITHER.
Let me tell you how your body works.You will bulk up like the Hulk if you are lifting so heavy that you can barely squeak out 6-8 reps. That is called hypertrophy. Most women want to stay far away from Hypertrophy Land. A few like this masculine look; however, I am not one of them, and I will assume you aren’t either. There are many other blogs to develop this type of body, however here at Trainer Momma I'm shooting for cut, lean, athletic and feminine.
You will not bulk up if you can do 12-15 reps of a weight. In order to see some definition (which most women want) and be more fit instead of flabby (another common female desire) – you’ve got to lift a challenging weight, girlfriend.
You have to be the judge. Here’s the test:
Let’s be simple and just start with bicep curls.
Lift a weight. Any weight. Can you lift it? Now do around 15 repetitions. Can you make it to 15? Could you keep on going? Is it still too easy? Then, it is too light. It's time to heavy up the weights.
The goal is to have reps 12-15 challenging enough to feel a good burn, but not so tough that you lose your form.
Is it too heavy? By rep 6-8 are you dying. Too heavy. Go lighter.
Got it? Get lifting!


3 comments:
ok, that is reassuring... I've always steered clear of calf exercises for that very reason - I don't want to bust through my knee high boots!
I'm slowly learning to love weights. I've always been a cardio girl but just don't get the same rush weight lifting. That said, I really like lifting heavy. I'd so much rather do 8 heavy reps than 25 "toning" moves!
love your site! i just found the joy(and results) of weight-lifting when i started teaching Pump. I had always incorporated some kind of strength training in my routine but now i am a definate believer and crave it!! Like Charloette I have always loved cardio (and still do) but love the weights just as much. Love the definition and my "big guns"!
Post a Comment