I'm really trying to wean my kids off of commercially prepared snacks (fishy crackers, graham crackers, Ritz, etc.) and encourage them to snack on more healthy choices. They still want to grab something and go -- which has made us heat up the oven in this heat and make some tasty baked goods together that are fun to make and are better for them. These Gingerbread Muffins were winners...
Gingerbread Muffins from Set For Life
1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 tsp sea salt
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/8 tsp nutmeg
1 T sugar
1/3 cup chopped nuts (optional)
1 egg
1/4 cup applesauce
1/3 cup molasses
1/2 cup buttermilk (or skim milk w/ 1/2 tsp of lemon juice)
Mix until ingredients are combined. Spray muffin pans with nonstick cooking spray.
Bake: 400 degrees 12-14 minutes or 8-10 for mini muffins (that's what we like).
Yield: 12 regular muffins or 36 mini muffins
YUM! Low sugar, high fiber, low fat, high taste!
Tuesday, August 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I heard about your blog from a friend and am loving it! Thanks for all of your great tips! I just made these muffins and they turned out SO yummy...I used chopped almonds for the nuts and added raisins to to half the batter for some more texture. SUPER YUMMY! Thanks!
Thanks, Natalie! Sounds even more delicious!
I can't wait to try these muffins. I'll do the minis and throw a couple in my kids' lunches.
I'm liking that there is no oil in them. Thanks.
Post a Comment