My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, October 29, 2010

Fit Momma Question?: Moms and Halloween Candy?

Here's one that arrived yesterday from Fit Momma Alisa:

Just out of curiosity, do you let yourself eat some candy on Halloween???


Halloween candy assorti



I actually had not thought about it until Alisa asked.  And then I realized, wow -- I HADN'T EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT IT YET.  


I am making progress.


You see, this kind of candy -- ultra-sweet, cheap, run of the mill, candy -- is a huge trigger food for me.  Once I get started on this stuff, I can not stop.  I have tried in the past to say just 2 or 10 or 20 pieces -- and the next thing I know I'm sitting cross legged on top of the kitchen counter with my kids' candy bags open and candy wrappers all over my lap, the counter and the floor.  It's like an out of body experience.  Then, of course, I'm sick all night and into the next day.


Officially not worth it.


I do indulge each week in a cheat meal complete with dessert once (OK, sometimes twice) a week.  So, it's not the sugar that I have a problem with.  It's just THAT KIND of sugar.  I lose all control.

So, my answer is no, I won't be eating any Halloween candy this year.  Not because I think it is a horrible thing, not at all, but because it kills all my self control and I become a candy gorging lunatic.  Perhaps someday I can grow out of this, but I'm definitely not there yet.

So, while my kids are stuffing their faces with Laffy Taffy's (WHOA, my favorite!), Milky Ways (perfect in every way!), and Tootsie Rolls (watch out!  I've eaten an entire bag of these in one sitting) -- I plan on stuffing my face with some wonderfully warm apple crisp and slightly melted ice cream on top.  It is much easier for me to put on the brakes when I eat sugar like that versus the sugar Halloween offers.

Plus,  I don't get sick.

Officially worth it.

How about you, Fit Mommas?  How do you handle Halloween and the candy flood coming your way?  Comment below and tell us what WHAT WORKS?

Good luck this weekend, friends!  Enjoy your family, your cute kids dressed up as Yoda and Princess Leah, Trick or Treaters, traditions, and heck, a piece of candy or two for me (preferably Banana Laffy Taffy's, thanks :).

Related Posts:
Sugar Smackdown
Do You Ever Cheat?
It's Here!
Sooooo Much Candy!

Like this?  Want more?  Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here.  Thanks!

9 comments:

Alisa J said...

When you compare apple crisp with ice cream to candy, the apple crisp definitely sounds way more worth it. Maybe I will skip the candy and just indulge in some pumpkin brownies I want to try on Sunday. Hmmm...thanks!I usually have a hard time because I just feel left out when other people are eating sweets or candy, but since I know that you won't be, maybe it will be a little easier for me to say know. Thanks so much!

Trainer Momma said...

You know, I'm over feeling deprived or left out. It could be because I've eaten enough Halloween candy to last for 5 lifetimes. I already know what it tastes like -- it's no mystery.

Teresa said...

Fabulous advice Trainer Momma!
I am totally with you!
Once I get started on that cheap~yummy~melt in your mouth candy...it can trigger days of over~eating!
I've never really thought about it like you just described...but it is TRUE!
Thanks for the ENCOURAGEMENT and the reminder!
Happy Halloween!
How are you liking your BLONDE hair!
I LOVE it!
xoxoxo

Kali said...

Tootsie rolls ALL the way....HUGE weakness! :) haha

On My Fitness Journey said...

I am at the same point with candy and desserts in general. I have eaten so much candy, birthday cake, cheesecake, oh the list goes on.. I can watch others eat and just enjoy their company.

lbb said...

Thanks for this posting.
I never realized it, but you totally nailed my problem.
I usually can stop when it comes to decadent desserts like apple crisps or lava cake, etc.
But give me peanut butter M&Ms and I'm unstoppable.
Tonight, it was Twix. The kids' carnival produced an outrageous number of Twix and once I had one, I couldn't stop.
Argh...there's always tomorrow!
Thanks again, though.

the Villamor's said...

i love the comparison of apple crisp to candy...really there is none! funny how snack size candy bars don't seem as bad and then when I have eaten 6 I realize I could have eaten a full-size one...but oh no...couldn't eat that WHOLE full-size candy bar! ha. but i just did..and then some. The key for me really is not to beat myself up over the indulgence or binge....then it loses its pull. ps. Banana laffy taffy are my favorite too:)

Christina said...

my family (including myself) enjoys it for 1-2 days then on the 3rd day i toss it all into food storage--end of story & i've killed two birds with one stone!

Anonymous said...

Here is my sad October tale. At the beginning of October I bought a Costco bag of 150 mini candy bars for our Halloween Trick or Treaters. Buying early, big mistake! The Saturday before Halloween I had to go and buy another one because I had eaten at least 100 mini bars from the first bag, thank goodness not all at once. On Halloween I told my grand kiddos to pass out all the candy, I didn't want one mini bar left in the house. The last few Trick or Treaters got several pieces of candy, my basket was empty by 8:30pm. Next year I'm buying those treats the day before Halloween and will once again make sure the basket is empty by the end of Halloween and not because I have eaten the candy.

I love chocolate!

Related Posts with Thumbnails