My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, October 29, 2010

Fit Momma Question: Kids and Halloween Candy?

I received a few emails this week inquiring what we'd be handing out at our door to the costume clad this Halloween.

Bags of baby carrots?
Homemade granola bars?
Jump ropes?
Sugar free gum?
Playdough?

Well, here's the truth:

PA280027

We'll be giving out the real deal over here:  candy.

I remember as a kid going to this one house that gave out new toothbrushes and Colgate every year. You can bet after catching on, we skipped that house for good in the following Halloweens.

WE WANTED CANDY.  
Period.  
Case closed.
End of discussion.

It is my opinion that kids haven't changed much in this arena over the years.  As Seinfield masterly said, kids have one thing on the brain: Get candy. Get candy.  Get candy.  Wear that Superman costume with the underwear on the outside?  DONE.  Just give me the freakin' candy.

I just look at it for what it is:  a fun tradition for my kids to dress up, be together as a family.

And it is only one day a year.

Do I love all the candy involved?  Of course not.  You know by now that nutrition and healthy foods are HUGE in our house and a topic of discussion nearly daily.  But, I also want my kids to have a healthy, normal attitude about food and candy.

I was brought up in a home where all  candy was hidden and forbidden.  As a result, I had, and still have, a very well developed candy radar.  I could expertly hone in on it (plus I knew where my mom's hiding places were) and could gorge on Tootsie Rolls, 1000 Grand, and Twizzlers without coming up for air.

I really don't want my kids to have to do that.

So, I do let my kids go Trick-or-Treating (or in our case this year Trunk-or-Treating.  Whoever made that up is a genius.)

And I do let them come home and sort out all their sweet treasures.

And I do let them eat to their hearts' content on Halloween night.

And then I give them an option:  they can keep their remaining candy or leave it out for the "Candy Fairy".  The "Candy Fairy" (which they easily figured out last year is me) leaves some good money for all that candy.  Right now, my kids are VERY motivated by money, so the Candy Fairy has won out for about 5 years running.  Works like a charm.  Expensive, but at least I get to control that candy after Halloween.  Most of it gets dumped in the outside garbage can or frozen and used for our Christmas Candy Trains in a few months.

Yes, there is an influx of sugar this time of year and really doesn't stop until January 1st.  But, if we moderate it well and have a good sense of humor about it -- hopefully they will too as they grow older.

BTW -- If you aren't comfortable with handing out candy, stick to your guns.  There are are a growing number of non-food alternatives out there.  Check out this website for some fun ideas.

How about you, Fit Mommas?  Do you give out candy or have you found a better alternative that you feel better about?  Comment below and tell us WHAT WORKS!

Related Posts:
Helping Our Kids Overcome Food Issues
Sooooo Much Candy!
It's Here!


Like this?  Want more?  Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here.  Thanks!

2 comments:

Alisa J said...

Love that book about Halloween and Candy by Jerry Seinfeld! Priceless!

the Villamor's said...

one house gave out 40 cents to each child! we didn't mind that! My children's birthdays are in November and December so their candy would get into their birthday Pinatas! Plus after Nov. 1st mine aren't usualy that interested in their candy...thankfully! Christmas candy trains...love that idea!

Related Posts with Thumbnails