I was a full blown sugar addict.
My sugar source could have come from anywhere. I was completely nondiscriminatory: yogurt, graham crackers, ice cream, frosting, chocolate chips, fruit snacks. If it has some sort of sweet attached to it -- it went it in my mouth. I once found myself digging into the garbage can to get the dollar store chocolates I had thrown away the day before. I wiped the baby food and ketsup off them, and then popped them in my mouth.
Shameless.
I had no governor -- somewhere in all my binge eating years that mechanism broke.
![]() |
| I have no idea whose child this is or who he learned this atrocious behavior from. WHO IS IS MOTHER?!? |
Now:
Still a sugar addict.
But, the addiction is safely under wraps.
The lure of sugar is still mighty loud and powerful, however, I now can trust myself around the bite-sized Milky Ways, Tootsie Rolls, Twizzlers, and candy corns that have been everywhere lately.
What happened in between then and now?
I broke up with sugar.
After two pregnancies, I found that sugar had made it’s way back into my life. Sugar and I never had a relaxed, chummy relationship. It was more of a frenzied, manic type of affair. If I had one chocolate chip cookie, then you could bet that I’d eat a solid 15. If I had one bite of cookies n’ cream ice cream, it was a guaranteed I’d go back for at least 4 more scoops (I was just trying to get to the chunks, I swear!).
If I was in a room with sugar, the sugar won the face off every single time. I felt powerless against it.
I HATE THAT FEELING.
So I broke up with sugar. Cold turkey.
I decided, along with my SIL, to go completely off sugar for 4 months. Not a lick. Not a crumb. Not a sip. Nada.
At first it was hard for a week or two, since eating sugary foods had somehow become akin to breathing. But, if you haven’t noticed, I am very competitive. My opponent was sugar and I was going to body slam it lucha libre style.
On Thanksgiving day, exactly 4 months from the day I had broken up with sugar, I had some warm apple carmel pie and slightly melted vanilla ice cream.
And it was ... a supreme letdown.
I had anticipated that treat for so long and built it up so high, that eating it for that brief moment was completely deflating. Yes, still delicious and made my taste buds do back flips, but very short lived. After not eating it for so long, I found it made me ill very easily. I could no longer eat the huge amounts of sugar that I once had. Gone were the days of eating a gallon of ice cream in one sitting or eating 3 bowls of Lucky Charms in a row.
I won. Smackdown style.
At that point, I had to decide what to do. Go back on sugar full steam ahead? Keep a safe distance from sugar?
I took some time to analyze the level of confidence I had in myself when confronted with sugar. I had no desire to do the roller coaster thing. I recognized at that point I still was not 100% trustworthy, so I made a deal with myself:
I was 100% sugar free unless it was a major day.
I specified the days:
Thanksgiving
Christmas
My birthday
Mother's Day
Valentines day.
That was it. Five days a year I could eat sugar. Nothing else.
I lived like this for 2 1/2 years (until I got pregnant again). I was sugar free, then ate the crap on the holidays -- usually eat too much of it, got really sick for a few days, then start again.
I can't say it was the best plan nor can I recommend it, especially the bingeing and getting ill (Ugh. Those were looooong nights.).
But I can say that somehow, it helped get me get one up on sugar.
Fast forward years later to post baby #3. I had to decide again what to do. Back to the sugar free and eating whatever on holidays? Or be attempt being a normal person?
I took a crack at normalcy. Normal meaning, eat healthy all the time, and indulging on a small dessert once or sometimes twice a week. I tested myself cautiously -- would I end up eating sugar every day again? Would it start sneaking in a handful of chocolate chips here? A few M&M’s there?
It didn't and I haven’t. I tend to think after living sugar free for those years helped me find the self control and TRUST that I lacked before. I now can have ice cream in the freezer and not touch it. I don't dive into the kid’s Halloween stash. I can have one piece of excellent chocolate cake and then walk away.
Like a normal, functioning person. Go, figure.
Although I cannot wholeheartedly recommend my methods of getting there (it is definitely not for everyone), I can say I finally, FINALLY have the upper hand when faced with sugar.
And I discovered we control food. It does not control us.
Ahhh -- I love that.
Like this? Want more? Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here. Thanks!



20 comments:
Love this.
I can totally relate to this post. When I was full-on eating Paleo earlier this year, I completely gave up sugar and thought it was way harder than giving up grains or dairy. Sugar just has this way of making you feel good and getting it out of my system was eye-opening to say the least.
Thanks for sharing what worked for you in your continuing journey of peacefully co-existing with sugar!
I can relate to this post as well. I am a food addict-well a recovering food addict-and sugar was one of my "drugs" of choice. I am doing really well this past week with not drowning myself in a pool of sugary goodness.
Thanks for the post! I needed it!
All I can say is AMEN! Amen! AMen! I am also on the road to recovery, I hope to someday say I am at the point you're at TrainerMomma. I have a long way to go, but sugar is my enemy. It is solely what has given me 30ish lbs that I now must work my booty off(literally) to lose. Thanks for all the great info and personal experiences! My new fave thing is Myfitnesspal.com... I am in love! :)
I love what you said,"I discovered we control food. It does not control us". I think that is such a major problem that a lot of people have. I have to constantly remind myself of that. It really does change your perspective on food. Thank you so much for this post! I LOVE your blog and recommend it to everyone I know who is trying to lose weight or live healthier.
Haaaaalellujia! You are an answer to my prayers today with this post as I fight against the bowl of Whoppers and Reese's in the pantry that await trick or treaters. I have been telling myself for days, "I am in charge, I am in charge." And then someone brought a hot loaf of homemade french bread over, and I nearly cried! TORTURE I tell you!! (IaminchargeIaminchargeIamincharge...)
Man, it is the season of sugar. And it just doesn't stop until January 1st. But, we can brace ourselves - decide to decide that we control the food. It is completely empowering.
I've been sugarfree over three years ago. I went cold turkey. I was deprived at first, but now, I've learned to make my own treats from the raw ingrediants like cacao nibs, raw agave, oats, bananas, raw nuts and I am not tempted to often to dip into commercial treats because mine are better.
I'm gonna do it. Four months with no sugar. I am the old you, and it has to stop. I've lost 65 pounds so far, but if I don't kick this sugar addiction I'm never going to lose the next 20 that needs to go. Thanks for the motivation!!
Such a great post and so well-timed. I appreciate the reminder to exercise some self-control especially with the holidays starting this weekend! You are so amazing!!
yes...very timely post. Sugar was not my choice...i was an equal opportunity binger. I remember Thanksgiving use to be torture when I was restricting and counting points and worrying and gnawing...that holiday was racked with guilt and pain..which just carried over into the new year. Then one year (while I was learning how to eat intuitively) i decided i would "allow" myself to eat whatever, whenever and in any amount i wanted. I was stuffed. felt like a beached whale. i never never NEVER did that again. But i had to do that to realize I didn't want to do it ever again...does that make sense? It was part of my recovery. I am at the point of living peacefully around all kinds of food. I still don't like to have homemade cakes and cookies around because i know I will enjoy them(not to the extreme) but if they aren't here then that is just calories saved. Nothing is off limits and when it is no longer forbidden it loses its pull. Now when I crave sugar I know I haven't been eating a balanced diet or maybe I am tired. Our bodies are an amazing piece of machinery and will let us know what they need...if we will just listen! (sorry for the long comment....i love sharing how we can eat intuitively!!)
I really needed this today! Great inspiration; thank you!
This post is fan-freakin-tastic!
You nailed it again. I so relate. I'm an all-or-nuthin gal and realize, only as of late that I'm trying so hard to be "normal" by having a bite of sugar here and there, and then going hog-wild, that having it not at all is ACTUALLY EASIER!
I'm at the point that now if I want sugar, I will have it on the rare occasion and go buy it. But, I only keep non-tempting sugar stuffs around for my family (plain vanilla ice cream or popsicles).
We are all benefiting. I also struggle because I ADORE baking and feeding my family homemade yummies, but usually am the one to eat it all. So, they only get those treats if I'm planning on giving it away to neighbors or such.
Thanks for this.
We control food. Amen.
Like everyone else said, I needed this post today!
"Hi, my name is Natalie and I'm a sugar-aholic..."
I want to be in control, not controlled by the food I eat. After recently losing 33 pounds (with a bit more to go) through healthy eating and exercise, I've found that if I binge on sugar, I feel completely awful! It's not worth it to me anymore.
I'm a new reader to your blog - love it!
This is a great post and I love the picture of you and Superman. You look so cute and he is adorable!
Ugh how did you do it??? I need a dose of that willpower. You totally called me out with the handfuls of chocolate chips. Do think it's possible to start out doing what you do now? I have tried many times to stop sugar cold turkey and it keeps kicking my trash. :( You inspire me. Thanks for you blog.
Lauren, I do think it is totally possible to not have to completely break up with sugar in order to have a healthy relationship with it. That is only what I did out of desperation. I like knowing that I have a cheat meal at the end of the week. That way nothing really is off limits to me. And if during the week I absolutely have to try something, then I have a bite. For me, I couldn't have done that a few years ago. But, after not obsessing about sugar and not eating it much anymore, I don't crave it as much.
I need to break up with sugar, I am having a hard time letting go! I find myself saying no but then it just happens...so mindlessly...I reach for it and down it goes...and then I feel sick but it's this endless cycle and I am hating myself...I am finding it hard to just get back on track! I am still nursing and have a few months before my baby turns 1 ... everyone around me is on the HCG diet and I find myself entertaining the thought of weaning early just to get on the drops...but I don't want to give up the bond...plus this baby is my last! Anyway, I just love that you are so REAL with food and your recipes look absolutely yummy and I really am finding hope with your site and your posts and your recipes...Thanks trainer momma!!!
Amy, Amy, Amy -- Do not break up with that baby for those drops. The drops won't help you in the long run, only good food and good moving will. Be strong! Do it the right way!
Post a Comment