My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, August 20, 2010

Fit Momma Question: Working In the Workout

I was all set to post another question today, however, this one just landed in my inbox and I loved it.  Fit Momma Tyler asked:

How do you fit in exercise so seamlessly with three kids? How did you do it when they were younger and not in school? 


FOR THE RECORD:
Tyler, first thing is first, there is NOTHING SEAMLESS about my life, trust me!  A day in the life of me consists of crazy tears, unexpected rips, and jagged edges at every turn.  JUST LIKE EVERY MOTHER OUT THERE.  My kids are sick, my kitchen has crusty oatmeal bowls in it, my laundry stays unfolded all week, I am chronically late, and my dog escapes regularly.  One thing about blogging that I dislike is the "perfection myth" that is conveyed -- we often only show our perfect homes, children, husbands, and lives. If I have portrayed myself has having all of this mastered, then I apologize.  If you know me for more than 60 seconds, I am usually a mess  I have a long way to go!


So, now that I have that cleared up (and have my 3-yr-old on my lap while he recovers from his brother shooting him in the cheek with a Nerf gun) -- here's how I work in the work out.  There are difference stages of motherhood, as you well know, so my methods have changed over the years:

THEN:


Johnny Scott


Infants/babies
Gym Membership
Years before we had children, I signed up for a gym membership at a big box gym near our apartment.  Being young and a small town girl -- OK, let's say it -- TOTALLY IGNORANT I agreed to make monthly payments with 22% interest.  So, we were paying through the nose and to top it all off, I NEVER USED IT.  For six years, I think I pass through the doors less than a dozen times.  I'd show them for ripping me off!  I'll just never go!  HA!  Yeah, I was also 50 lbs overweight.  Who got the last laugh?

Well, it turns out -- I DID.  When I had my first child, I decided that I was going to make up for those lost six years.  I ended up going 5-6 times a week.

With a new baby, however, I was uncomfortable with the germ issue and frankly the workers there were not what I'd call, um, very professional.  If they were awake, it was a good day.  It has turned out that to avoid my germ phobia and since I am a sleep Nazi with my babies, they typically didn't visit the gym childcare until after they are 6-months-old.  Other moms feel comfortable taking their babies at 6 weeks.  Whatever works.

Because of this 6-month-old thing, I ended up hitting the gym EARLY, we're talking when it opened at 5:00 AM.  Yes, I was always the woman pounding on the door in the dark, wearing nothing but a tank top and shorts in 40 degree weather saying, "Open, open, open!"  I was on the clock and on a mission.

Here are more reasons why a gym membership might be for you.

age 2

Young children not in school.

When my children got past that infant stage, I started hitting the child care hard.  I'm talking every day.  For them, it became their preschool before preschool.  The child care worker was their teacher and we'd even pack a little lunch box with snacks (if allowed) It was part of our daily routine.

Before I started working as a personal trainer, I broke up my workouts into two sessions most days.  I'd go early morning 3 or 4 times a week to do my lifting, then go back when the childcare opened with the little ones in tow to do my cardio, shower, etc.  The workers at the front desk and I became fast friends and I worked the system hard core.

NOW:


P8230002



School-age kids

I still get up at the crack of dawn and work out.  This is because I am a lousy sleeper and I also now have clients or writing I have to get done during school hours.

As you can tell, I am not a huge "at-home" worker outer (is that a real word?), but have several options just in case things don't go according to plan (which happens all the time):

Cardio Equipment
One hot day when we were living in Tucson, the Doc called me and asked if I'd ever be interested in an elliptical trainer.  He was at an estate sale (which is highly unusual for him) and saw a very basic one for sale for $100.  We were poor, so I told him no thanks.  I'd just continue to take the baby on walks using our jogging stroller that went perpetually crooked.  Well, sweet man that he was, he bought it any way and brought it home for me.  I cannot tell you how much I use that thing when my kids are babies and for whatever reason I could not get to the gym.

Jump rope
I also liked to add in some HIIT by jumping rope in the middle of my elliptical workouts.  I have diagnosed myself with ADHD when it comes to my workouts and to stay in one spot in the garage looking at bugs flying around the fluorescent light bulb will really make me go nuts.  I started adding in a minute of jumping, then two minutes, then five periodically during my elliptical workout.  I loved it.  And all my neighbors would just wave to me when they'd come out and pick up their newspapers.

Adjustable weights
Read my post about the awesomest adjustable weights on the planet here.

DVD's
Not a favorite of this gym rat, but there are some admittedly excellent DVD's out there.

Here are my posts about P90X and Insanity.  

I have heard from many of you readers that your other favorite are Cathe Friedrich and Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred (I personally have not done those).

So, Tyler, that's how I have "swung it" with having multiple kids over the years.  I have actually felt quite spoiled with being a SAHM for so many years and being able now choose my work hours.  Between the gym, my stroller, and my workout equipment at home -- I could pretty much work in the workout every day.

Hey Fit Mommas, how to do swing the whole working in the working out?  What works for you?  Comment below and tell us WHAT WORKS!

Thanks for the question!  Loved it!  And, as you know, I love your questions.  Just give me a few days, and I really make an effort to answer them all.  Send them here.

For more Fit Momma Questions, click here.

Like this?  Want more?  Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here.  Thanks!

10 comments:

Vennesa said...

What a great post!
In the summer I get up early, before most of the kids and run 2.5 miles. My kids are old enough to be left alone. Then come home and get the the little ones breakfast. While they eat I'll do a body sculpting workout with Gilad on FitTV.
Now that school is starting & I lose my babysitters, I'm going to have to start fitting in my workouts during preschool hours or in the evenings. Or do the stroller thing. When it gets cold, it's back to the gym.

knygard said...

I prefer the gym over all other locals. However with a husband in Dental school and three little kids, over the 6 year course of our marriage I have figured out a way. At times I have woken up before the crack of dawn and worked out. Gone to the gym before my husband left for school. Currently I go to the YMCA who has a wonderful daycare area. By far this is my favorite. If it is important you will find a way and you will be better for it and so will your family. I am a happier mom and wife because of my working out.

Dayna said...

My biggest roadblock to regular workouts are figuring out what to do with my kids. I live in a smallish town so our gym has no child care (sob) and I hate inconveniencing my neighbor all the time. So when I can I go before my husband goes to work and now that school has started again (i'm a teacher) I am trying to fit in a workout during my lunch hour.

Becky said...

What a great post! Thanks for sharing. For me, if I don't work out in the morning, it most likely won't happen. So we all get up about 6 and I usually do one of the P90 workouts, then after I drop the kids at school the ladies in my church/neighborhood workout together 3xs a week. It's great, I "teach" once or twice a week and my friend is an ex step aerobics teacher/iceskater and we do AWESOME step workouts. So maybe starting a workout co-op of sorts might work for some people who don't have access to a gym, or can't afford it.

benbidder said...

This summer, I wasn't able to make it to my normal gym, so what did I do? I made the kids work out with me at home four times a week. :D We did the wii active two times and this Nike work out two times. They used weights and everything. Might not have gotten the best workout in the world, but it kept me going through the summer.. :)

Anonymous said...

with four kids it would now cost me an extra $8 a day for the gym child care, so we don't do that. Right now with 2 babies, 1 toddler and one in kindergarten I have been doing p90x between dropping her off and picking her up and nap time for the twins. My 3 year old just gets to watch a little tv. guilty. But, whatever keeps me in shape. :)

Anonymous said...

I have nothing to add, just a little 'I love you' and thanks for creating this blog.

the Villamor's said...

this is weird...i posted a comment a few days ago and it isn't here now. but just wanted to add what works for me was to figure out my own system. I quickly learned the early morning was the best for many reasons and so that is what I stuck with. Before kids it was around 6:30-7 and gradually that has inched its way to 4:30-5am. I teach classes so the bulk of my workout takes place inside the gym but I also have a lot of DVD's at home that I like to rotate in to fight boredom. Can't say enough about Cathe videos...always great quality and a hardcore workout from start=finish.

i admire everyone for fitting in their exercise...it is true that if it is important then we will find time to do it! Don't let anyone get in the way of what you want to accomplish!

loverunningmommy said...

I work full time with an infant. Right now that there is enough light, I run in the morning.
When it gets darker in the morning. I will start hitting the gym for the 5:30 classes.
I also run on my lunch breaks if I have to be at work early.
The biggest thing that has changed since becoming a mom is that I do not work out in the evening unless im taking my baby walking in the stroller. I have such limited time during the week with my baby I take adavantage of the morning when my hubby can watch her or at lunch when I am at work..

Krista said...

Just another amazing and inspiring post!
Thanks a ton. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails