My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

I'm a Proud Graduate!

I was on a trip with the Doc over a year ago, working out with him on the decade old stair master in the hotel-room-turned-fitness-center whose heater was permanently stuck to the "ON" mode. Bikram cardio. We were toughing it out despite the less than ideal conditions -- hey a workout is a workout, right? An 20 minute infomercial popped up on the television for a fitness program. Since a remote was no where on the premises, we watched it. People transformed! Weight lifting! Plyometrics! Pull ups! Sit ups! People's lives transformed before my very eyes!

It seemed too good to be true -- as most of those infomercials do. However, a light bulb went off in my head. Hey, this is the program my brother in AZ just started doing. What was it called? X? 87? P -- what? There it was on the screen again:


Hhm. Interesting. File it away in the mental filing cabinet.

Fast forward a year, and I found myself in my living room doing this very program with the Doc every morning for 90 days.

Yes, I am a P90X graduate.

It was the first time ever I've worked out at home and this self proclaimed gym rat must admit, it was good, solid, and quality.

I must say, however, this program means commitment and is not for the faint of heart. But, what effective workout program doesn't require commitment, right? It is good for all levels of fitness, however. Tony gives modifications for all ages and all levels.

I did the Doubles option for P90X -- which involved doubling up lifting and cardio days. There are other options that are not as intense physically or time wise.

Not all at home workouts are created equally, and this one has recently risen to the top. For good reason:

Strengths:

Plyometric X workout rocked.

Ab Ripper X three times a week super rocked.

Minimal equipment needed.

Hits all muscle groups thoroughly.

Teaches proper form for weight lifting very well.

Tony Horton is a crack up and I have a crush on him.

Weaknesses:

90 minutes of YogaX -- HELLO. Yoga, I love you a lot -- really I do, but I did so many sun salutations I wanted to scream. I ended up dropping this weekly workout and added some cardio on my own.

KenpoX - I couldn't get my heart rate up or break a sweat.

Cardio X - ditto from above.

Basically, their cardio options are very weak. I just had to bag them and do cardio on my own to be sure I burned enough calories.

Results:

I was basically doing a P90X type of my workout on my own in the gym prior to starting this workout. So, I wouldn't say I saw earth shattering results, but I definitely enjoyed the focus on so much weight lifting for three months. The Doc, however, using P90X and counting his calories with the iPhone app "Lose It" has dropped 40 lbs. in 6 months. Life transformed right before my eyes. Beautiful.

Will I do it again? You bet. Give me a year to forget all the "Tonyisms" I can quote in my sleep (You hate it... But you love it! BRING IT!) and the workouts I've memorized for the past 3 months. I personally cycle through many different workouts throughout the year, nothing ever is the same for me. So, I'll be throwing this into the loop and probably break it out again next winter.

I have moved on and am enjoying (?) my newest endeavor which is very, very different and even more intense. I am not posting about it yet, simply because I need more time to see results and form an accurate opinion about it. Let's just say, it's INSANE.

Hey, Fit Mommas... I know some of you out there have used this program or are using it now. What do you think? What was your experience like? What was your favorite workout? What about the one you couldn't stand? I'd love to hear about it...

Again, I am in no way being compensated for writing this post for P90X or www.beachbody.com. I just write about my experiences what I believe works and what doesn't.

14 comments:

lbb said...

Oh I'm just dying of laughter of all Tony's "isms" right now. I totally am a P90x grad myself. It was the only workout husband and I could do together and get major results. I went on a pregnancy, post-prego haitus, and have kicked it back up again since the new year. Haven't missed a day, and I love it.
I TOTALLY agree about the cardio options. In fact, since I'm low on time with the newborn, I sub kenpo or yoga for plyo or core or a run. It works.Love the p90, esp. because I can't leave the house right now early enough to beat the resident husband!
Oh, and that break from Tony was needed...his "isms" do have a way of getting to ya...PAM THE BLAM!

Cher said...

I've done P90x and loved certain videos but felt the time commitment was ridiculous. I much prefer Jillian Michael's dvds- they are 50 minutes long, including warmup and cool down, and she kills me the entire time. Intensity in a short amount of time is more effective for me. She also has a weightloss website to help with food.

Her books are great too! Tony was too cocky and he totally crushes on that one girl that is married! It's weird!!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I;ve been wanting to try this for awhile, thanks for the review.

Crystal Star said...

Mandi-
Here's an image for you. Some ladies meet at the church at 5am to do the p90x dvds. I join them when I'm up for the 5am (nurse at 4:40am) workout. Which is not too much anymore. But they ladies do their pull ups on the chair holders. Just remove the chairs and pull up. It's a funny sight! Right now I'm doing a masters swim & boot camp at a local pool and hit the gym if I get an appointment and need a break from my 3 kiddies at home. Of course sometimes packing them in the car and getting them settled in the daycare is more work than it's work. I did purchase a triple jogging stroller and walk to meet the kids from school. I get all sorts of moms yelling at me, cheering me on! I'll take that cat call any day!

Delanie Neville said...

Just found your site today and I just may have to order this - I have been looking for something to get me through the winter at home - thank you for the review!

Erin said...

A friend introduced me to your blog and I had to go all the way back to the begining and read every single post! Love it! Keep up the good work. I did do P90x and loved the workout. I tried to start it over after a few weeks off from it and couldn't bring myself to push play :)! So maybe I will try again soon. I agree, the kenpo, not much of a workout. My favorite is the plyo. Even though it makes me so sore I can't sit to pee for the next few days!

Chiemi said...

Oooo I just emailed this post to my husband. He has seen the infomercial a bunch of times and keeps wondering if it's any good. How great that you have tried this out! Sounds like it is something we can do together which is great!

The Ball Babies said...

I knew I liked you! I too am a graduate!!! It totally changed the way I view weight lifting and nutrition. I eat a lot healthier now and I learned some new recipes along the way! I have to admit, we took before and after pictures and about the only thing that changed, from the picture perspective, was that my hair got longer! I took measurements for the before, but didn't (dumb!) for the after. Lost about 6 pounds during the first phase, but gained it back during the last two phases - muscle, RIGHT??? I have been working out for years and running for 10 years, so I wasn't in that bad of shape to begin with, but I thoroughly loved the schedule and knowing what was coming each day. I admit, I usually went for a run (I was doing this during the summer) to go along with the work outs on weight days. I didn't like kenpo or yoga too much - I agree - too many salutations! Is that really what yoga is??? Loved Core Synergistics and Plyo kicked butt. I found myself dreading the days where massive amounts of pull ups were required, but I went from being able to do one or two to being able to do 10 each set. That was progress. I'd do it again and probably will in the summer when I have more time off school to dedicate longer hours to working out! Bring it!!!

Jen Howick said...

I am currently in the middle of P90x. 2 1/2 weeks under my belt! The best part for me is that my husband agreed to do it with me. Not only did he agree to it, it was his idea, to join me. I've been trying to get him to exercise with me and eat better, for years. I'm so proud of him for doing it. It's been a great bonding experience so far. Thank you for introducing it to me! My husband and I quote a lot of the "Tonyisms" too - like "this is not abs 100 or 200, this ab ripper x 339!" haha! Oh, and I'm 5 lbs less in 2 1/2 weeks too. Not too shabby! Oh, and I have a pretty good idea what INSANE program you are doing now. It's on our radar for the future too! ;)

the Villamor's said...

I have wanted to use this one...did some Tony workouts back when he first started and he wasn't that intense at all. What draws me to his program is the intensity. Maybe I will look on ebay for some used copies!

Have you ever tried Cathe workouts? She is pretty intense as well. Love her.

kemp-y-QUA!! said...

i just finished day 10 of the p90x-lean program. its a great workout, and i am seeing results already. i seriously scream at the tv during all the yoga stuff. it makes me crazyyy! i may sub it out for the pylometrics since the lean program doesnt even touch that.

i love this program so far (excepting the yoga day, and the half of cardio that is yoga) and am determined to finish it and see if it really does do what it promises.

i do think it lacks on cardio overall though. im going to start adding a stint on the elliptical to round out my workout.

kristen @ just-iced cookies said...

also have implemented some P90X into my routine...I agree, not nearly as much cardio as I'd like, I hardly break a sweat...but agree I am SORE in places I never knew existed!! And I've realized my core is made of pudding. Getting better at the "Superman-Banana" though... Ditto on the yoga - I'd prefer 90 min of downward dog and chataranga with Effie at Yoga in Motion than with Tony any day. I'm interested to hear about your new routine...does it happen to rhyme with "moss pit"? just checking :)

hannaH (that's Hannah backwards) said...

i'm almost at the end of p90x classic. week 11! going great - tony horton is the best. i agree with everything you've said about the different excersizes. just curious about any advice on transitioning back to gym workouts?

stacie said...

Have you ever done Bryan Kest Power Yoga? I have loved that and I wondered how it compares to the yoga on this p90x because I've never done it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails