My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Fit Momma Wish List: A Gym Membership

To join or not to join? That is the question.



I am a self-proclaimed gym rat and am ridiculously biased when I answer this question. Wherever we move (and we’ve done a lot of that during our 14 years of marriage), the first, middle, and last question I ask our realtor is “Where’s the gym?”.

It is wise to review the pros and cons before you put this on your holiday wish list.

  • Pros

Variety – I get bored very easily with my workouts. Sometimes just the thought of doing what I did the day before illicits dread, rolling of the eyes, and immature gagging noises. I just can't stomach it. A gym is nice because it has all the equipment and facilities ready and waiting there for me to use. There is no way I could house all that beautiful equipment (as much as I dream and beg for it it).

Professionals – If you are unsure of where to start with your fitness, a gym is a breeding ground for us fitness gurus. You may have a simple question that a fitness attendant can answer, or possibly you need some long term guidance from a personal trainer. Go to a gym and start find the answers you are looking for -- or just email me!:)

Classes – You may be a die hard fitness class fan, and typically gyms offer a variety of classes: Spin, Zumba, Interval Classes, Step Aerobics, Kickboxing, Nia, Pilates, Yoga, Water Aerobics, Weight Lifting, Treadmill, etc. Perfect for the person who can’t do the same thing day after day.

Child Care – Babysitting – need I say more?!? Typically you can buy a membership that includes child care. Grab it and run. Don’t look back, don't apologize, you will not regret this, I promise. Also, there have been times where taking a private shower has proved virtually impossible at my house, so I will take all my clothes and toiletries and get ready for the day at the gym. When I leave that place with my kids in tow, I have exercised, showered, dressed, and feel like a new woman! Thank you child care!

Escape – There is something that fills me emotionally by driving away from my house, going somewhere, and doing something just for me. I am happier. The gym can be a social environment, and there have been periods of my mothering life where that is all the adult conversation that I may get all day. The gym is a welcome sanity break from dealing with my kiddos all day… Hey, I love ‘em but, I need to get away.



  • Cons

Money – The buck stops here. Of course, this is the major hang up for most of us (especially right now). If the budget won’t allow it, it is discussion over. I just would encourage you to check out the deals that most gyms are running for the next several weeks as the new year approaches. There is a lot of competition out there between gyms – they want you (and your monthly payment!). See if you can get some reduced rates, waived start up fees… Work it girl, work it!

Self-consciousness– Some people simply would rather workout at home. They are a bit timid and don’t want people watching them while they bust their behinds. If that is you and you know it, I respect that. I must say, however, that we all look terrible at the gym – we are sweaty, stinky messes together. You will be in good company!

Lastly, I can't make this decision for you. I will only say it is an investment into yourself -- which frankly, as mothers and women, we don't do enough.

Coming tomorrow: what to look for when gym shopping.


4 comments:

Vennesa said...

I try to get to the gym 3 times a week. I wish I could go everyday, but for now, with all the kids activities, that's all I can do.
I've got a question about ab exercises. I want strong abs, but definitely don't want bulky muscles there. Is there a wrong way to work out the abs that will add bulk?

meg said...

i agree with the gym comments! i love my gym, mainly because of the childcare. and amen to the private shower! ha!
one thing i'd add--i learned while shopping for gyms that its like a used car lot (other than the ymca maybe). but gym memberships and benefits are totally negotiable. they have a price on a list, but that doesn't mean thats what you have to pay! i went in, got the run around at one gym. then i went to another branch (when i realized the game that can be played...) and i said, "i can afford X amount for membership and childcare. not a penny more. take it, great, if not, i'll go to the place down the street." they gave me a screaming deal! so, there is wiggle room on price, definitely negotiate!

Cher said...

We joined the brand new YMCA 3 minutes from our home. It's amazing and we get 90 minutes of childcare included in our family membership. As a homeschooling mom, don't think I don't use that! I do exercise videos in the early morn on the days that I know I can't get to the Y. Love the gym, love Jillian Michaels videos.

Ashley said...

It's funny that you posted this topic. A gym membership happens to be what I want for Christmas. I tried to do the P90X at home, but to be honest I just didn't enjoy it. I like to go to the gym, it's like a break so I think I will actually do it more.

Related Posts with Thumbnails