My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Eat With Me: Road Trip!

It's finally time for the road trip EWM post.  Just a few notes before we jump into my crazy, long car trip:

-  I did not workout this particular morning.  I just woke up and got on the road.
-  I did not count my calories. I have no doubt I went over.  But my goal was not weight loss.  It was sheer survival.

I prepared well the night before with a smorgasbord of healthy food and was determined not to reach the crazy woman stage.  I am happy to report I did not eat the ground up graham crackers off the floor of the car, did not break down and buy a huge bag of Cherry Sours, and did not threaten to leave any of my children at a gas station.  I'm telling you, that is a HUGE improvement.



6:30 
Breakfast

1/2 cup oatmeal made with water
cinnamon
vanilla
2 Tb walnuts
5 sliced strawberries

I wanted to start off the trip the right way.  This kept me full for a long time.



Around 10:00 AM

Pure Protein Bar



12:30 PM
Lunch:

BBQ Wrap (find recipe here)
Man, I was looking forward to this lady BIG TIME.  It was soooo much better than a Subway sandwich or McD's salad.  


I ate the entire bag.  Why not?



After lunch, I kind of lost track of time.  Let's just say I ate this somewhere on the flat plains of Texas.  I have no idea how much I ate.  Crunch was what I needed.  I did just crunch on one little piece of cereal at a time.  It kept the mouth busy.



I promised the kids that they could get a treat at the second rest stop.  They were thrilled.  Why is everything so huge?  Everything was jumbo size.  Oh well. They were happy.  They were quiet for a few extra minutes.  I got over it.



#1 Road Trip Trip:
Ice, ice, ice.
OK, you already know that on a daily basis I drink a gallon of water.  Obviously, this becomes a major issue (at least in my head) while on a road trip.  I just can't stop to run to the ladies room every hour.  So, I've resorted to chewing ice during the long drive.  I either bring a bag with me or at every stop get a huge cup of ice.  It keeps me hydrated, keeps my mouth busy, and keeps me awake.  



Yep, I ate this entire bag of watermelon.  No problemo.



3-4 Healthy Cookies (find recipe here)
This hit the ole' sweet tooth when I was getting tired.



Hallelujah!
We made it!  
Fourteen hours down -- only 8 more the following day!



I finished off the night with some Greek Yogurt and honey.
I also cut one slice of my whole wheat bread, slathered some peanut butter on it and some low sugar jam (not pictured).
Oh, and I drank a little carton of Vanilla Soy Milk (not pictured).

And that point, I stopped stuffing my face, came up for air, and tried to sleep.


Good night.

(Well, it was actually a terrible night.  Child #2 on the left was up all night puking.  You know what that means, no sleep for me.  When it comes to hotels and my kids we are batting somewhere around 0 for 10.

Like this?  Want more?  Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here.  Thanks!

3 comments:

the Villamor's said...

man...14 hours in the car...that is brutal! congrats for making it and for eating so well..no ...for not loosing your mind:) i eat similarly and love to chew on ice. Keeping my mouth busy takes the mind off the task at hand! ha.

Alicia said...

I love the ice idea! You have some great food ideas for traveling.

Anonymous said...

tomorrow we leave for Utah, just me and the four kids. I'm only going halfway, but this post is a huge helper. My kids don't even like fast food, so i think i'm going to try the bbq wrap.

Related Posts with Thumbnails