My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Don't Leave Home Without...

So, you've done all the research, made reservations, filled up the car with gas (or printed out the airline tickets if you're lucky), and the packing has commenced.  Besides your toothbrush and Tylenol, there are a few things you don't want to leave home without:


√ Protein Bars
You just don't know when you are going to be far away from a restaurant or the kitchen at the condo. Carry a few of these in your bag with you for emergencies. This also will help you not get so ridiculously hungry that you feel like you could eat your hand off. When the next meal rolls around, you will be feeling good and are able to make responsible, healthy choices -- instead of the grilled Reuben sandwich dripping with Swiss cheese. And fries. And a chocolate shake. Let's avoid that, shall we?

√ Protein Powder
This is another "just in case" item. I throw some of this in my oatmeal for breakfast at a restaurant or in some water or milk for a snack. Again, it tides me over until the next meal and helps me avoid the hungry, grouchy mom that resides within and emerges when not fed properly.

√ Nuts
It seems to me whenever I am out of town and am looking for a few nuts, the only ones I can find are members of my family. I'm kidding :) No really, while in Mexico last year I was searching for some almonds and the small bag I finally found at the mercado where a whopping 210 pesos -- $21.00!  I did without that trip, but ever since I bring a bag to add to my breakfast or to grab a handful for a snack.

√ Workout Shoes
Since all of my travels include some type of exercise, I can't leave my workout shoes home to gather dust. These babies take me to interesting places -- from inspiring trail runs through the rain forest to walks through dusty trailer parks where I end up running away from stray dogs (I've done it all).

√ Workout Clothes
Functional is the name of this game. I try to bring tops with built in bras and shorts with built in underwear. Sometimes I wash them in the sink at night and sometimes I don't. Gross, I know.

√ Music
Sometimes I use my iPod, other times I don't. If I end up working out in the hotel gym, I'm really glad I brought it. However, if I can get outside and workout, I much prefer taking in the sounds of the rushing waves, the hustle of the big city, or the wind in the pines. Either way, it is there if I need it.

This is supposed to be a vacation, right?  Well, there are a few things I leave at home:

- Heart rate monitor
When I workout while on vacation, I purposely don't focus on the numbers or where my heart rate is at. I'm aware of it, yes, but just try to enjoy the rushing endorphins, the sounds, and scenery.

- Calorie Counter
Nope, I don't count my calories while traveling. No way.  I do, however, TRACK them and keep a mental tally of what I'm eating and when so I don't get out of control. It is time for me to step away and just let myself relax.

- Scale
I don't worry about losing weight while traveling. My goal is simply to maintain. I stick to my eating schedule when possible, drink a bucketload of water, and enjoy the food the new environment has to offer. This has lead me to eating lard in Poland, fried ice cream in Mexico, Hungarian cake in Budapest, and s'mores at the cabin. I loved it all (minus the lard -- that was a big mistake) and I'm still alive and kicking.

How about you, Fit Momma?  What do you bring on your trip to help your travel in Fit Momma style?

Like this?  Want more?  Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here.  Thanks!

4 comments:

Nutritious Foodie said...

Welcome back Trainer momma. Hope you had a great time :)

The Ball Babies said...

I wish our Costco sold value packs of Pure Protein bars! Sheesh! I pay a little over a dollar for one! Oh, well, I still love Costco and your posts!

Quix said...

I always bring protein bars and snacks. I'm perfectly happy to splurge on a meal or 2 a day, but having those helps me not have to go out for breakfast, lunch, and dinner (or when I'm up early and my hubbs is not and I'm staaaarving). I always bring workout clothes, but I usually just end up getting my exercise by walking around sightseeing and swimming. I never track or count calories - I rarely vacation for more than a few days at a time, so it's ok if I cut loose, IMO.

the Villamor's said...

I do the same things...carry snacks just in case and just enjoy my time. I always carry workout clothes and if I get it in ...i get it in. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails