My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, June 10, 2010

Eating on the Road Trip

Have you entered the Trainer Momma June Giveaway?  

Click here for your chance for a 
$100 Gift Card to Sunglass Hut! 
Giveaway ends Monday, June 14th!

Back to business:

Road trips + me = issues.

Since we've moved to TX four years ago, the 14-hour trip back to AZ has been a regular part of our life.  I dread it more than a trip to a dentist who doesn't believe in using Novocain  every time.  I just cannot sit still for that long.  I get car sick if I read a book. There's only so many contacts in my phone who are willing to talk to me for extended periods of time.  There are only so many podcasts and audiobooks I can download.  Subway and the salads at McDonald's in Fort Stockton, TX just taste stale and gross to me.  Even the thought of eating those make my stomach turn. For some reason, when I'm in the car that long, my mouth must be moving.  Constantly.  That leads to eating.  And more eating.  And eating yet again.  Anything and everything goes in my mouth.

The past few road trips I've taken without the Doc, so staying awake is my #1 goal. I end up eating junk, I feel terrible, I get impatient, I panic.  I end up calling the Doc around Hour 10 in a bundle of tears and all my irrational fears coming spewing out:

It's getting dark.  I hate driving in the dark.
Why is there so much roadkill in Texas?
I think the gas tank has a leak in it.
There's no rest stop for another 100 miles.
Why are there so many highway patrolmen out?
The DVD player is broken.  Again.
I'm exhausted.
I didn't sleep enough the night before.
When was the last time the oil was checked?
Do I have extra fan belts?  My dad always tells me to have extra fan belts.
I have forgotten how to change my own tire.

I become completely delirious and am a bona fide mess.  The Doc tells me I get a wild look in my eye, start to twitch and rock in my seat mumbling incoherent words like:  Drive.  Off.  A.  Cliff.

This year I've decided to attack my road trip's Trainer Momma style.  I decided I would no longer lay down and be the roadkill of the deadly Road Trip.  No excuses.  Just solutions.  Right?  I adore food, as you know, and decided to create a Vegas style healthy all-you-can-eat buffet in the front seat of my car.  I need crunch.  I need sweet.  I need fiber.  I need nutrients.  So, I tried to buy and pack within these parameters:


An endless supply of gum.
Essential.



Crunch, crunch and more crunch.
And a little gnaw with the beef jerky.



I just drove right on by Subway and ate this homemade BBQ Wrap instead (recipe coming soon!).
Much better.



Fruit galore!



Just in case, I did carry some dairy along.



Crunch, crunch, and more crunch.
The hummus is a serious treat on a trip that long.



Tressa and I did some baking before the trip and brought along some homemade whole wheat bread and Healthy Cookies (recipe coming soon!).


I know you are thinking, "She's nuts!" when you see all this food I packed for myself.  And you are completely accurate in that statement.  I did not pack this much for my physical well being, but for my emotional well being. 


Nope, I definitely did not eat all this food (I'll do the Eat With Me post on it soon :).  But I had some peace of mind.  A side bonus was that I was able to enjoy all of it down in Mexico as well.

And I felt like I one-upped the Road Trip.
Finally.

Like this?  Want more?  Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here.  Thanks!

4 comments:

AmyJo said...

LOVING all these road trip tips, as we leave tomorrow on our monster journey! Thanks!

The Ball Babies said...

I'm just like you - my mouth has to be moving at all times, and I don't just mean talking! No, no, there needs to be something in there the whole way. Such good ideas for our next, not so long as yours, trip! Thanks! Love it all.

Anonymous said...

same here, our 11 hour trip to Utah is crazy. I have to eat the entire time. We do stop at Subway, I still love it.

Loewen Behold said...

That is so great! Living in Nothern Canada for much of my life road trips are a huge part of my life, and its exactly like you say. Eat, eat and more eat. And always I can't find what I want when I stop. So inspired by you I will be packing the Las Vegas Style all you can eat, ultra healthly road trip buffet. Thanks for the inspiration.

Related Posts with Thumbnails