First thing's first:
I believe in celebrating motherhood! So, it's time to get spoiled, ladies:
Time is running out!
All giveaways end tonight at midnight.
The lucky winners will be announced tomorrow.
When I was a kid, we didn’t get to watch a lot of television. We did have a TV, however for a long time it was an ancient black and white beauty with no remote -- oh my, heavens no. In fact, we had to change the channels with our teeth. Our parents were not into making watching the tube a comfortable experience (hhhmm, wonder where I picked that up from?). Our screen time was very limited, however, once in a while I would wake up before the sun and before my parents. I would sneak out to the living room and watch the Electric Company -- in silence. No sound. I didn’t want to wake anybody up.
However, I could count on my mother being up shortly after me and walk quietly around in the darkness. She would slip out the back door to meet her running group. She did this every morning.
I also have many memories sitting on the side of the pool watching my mom swim her daily laps in the summer. Every time she took a breath, I’d try to get her attention and yell, “MOM!” Stroke, stroke, stroke -- “MOM!” Stroke, stroke, stroke. It never worked. She was in her happy place: in the water, tuned out from the five of us. Just swimming.
The water is still my mom's happy place.
A few weeks ago, my mother joined her Masters Swim team in a competitive state swim meet. At age 61, she entered six events and medalled in all six! I was so proud of her and loved hearing all about her events and races. My only regret is that I hadn’t travelled to Houston with my kids to be her cheering section in the stands.
How awesome is that for my kids to know their grandma is a swim champion? I want to be like that when I grow up.
(Yep, this picture makes me cry every time I see it. This is my mom, my older sister on the left and me on the right.)
My mother is probably the best athlete in our family. She has always been very healthy, active, and moving. When I was overweight and pretty much miserable a dozen years ago, I knew who to turn to: my mother. Despite ignoring her example and teachings for years, when I needed it and wanted it, her solid pattern of living right was there. I leaned on that many times when turning myself around.
I love you mom. Thank you.
Like this? Want more? Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here. Thanks!






6 comments:
Mandi, what a great tribute to your Mom and yourself!
congrats to her as well on her swimming success!
Awesome! and so inspiring! My Mom at 63 can outdo me in any core exercise... she's amazing too!
Happy Mother's Day to both of you!!!
What an awesome mother you have! I guess I won't chime in with any, "my mom can beat up your mom" comments. hehehe Although, my mother did wrestle a deer to the ground when it started charging her babies. How's that for impressive?! She's a tough woman and it sounds like we're both pretty darn lucky to have the mothers that we do. Happy Mother's Day to you, too!
Mandi..
WONDERFUL post!! I seriously love your mom too! She's awesome!
What an awesome Mom you have! What a great example to you and her grandchildren! Happy Mother's Day to you!
What a blessing it is to have a mother deserving of such praise. Happy Mother's Day to you too! I think your kids are lucky to have such a healthy and talented mother as well!
I want to be like her when I grow up! I need her to give me some swimming tips!! What a great example!
Post a Comment