My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Passing on the Cheer -- Fit Momma Style




I have been through many a holiday season where I have locked my kids outside for an entire day while I am slaving away in the kitchen making a huge array of holiday treats. By the end of the day, I'm in a sugar coma, the kids are tired of having food thrown at them through a crack in the window and the kitchen is 100% trashed.


You may not be willing to give up this holiday tradition. For many of you it brings great joy. However, if you are ready to perhaps start some wholesome traditions, here are some suggestions for passing on slightly healthier holiday cheer to your friend and neighbors:





Food items:


Almonds

Walnuts

Dried fruit

Apples

Whole wheat bread

Whole wheat rolls

Soup mix

Veggies and healthy dip

Favorite homemade salad dressing and fixings
Dry mix and recipe for whole wheat pancakes

Dry mix and recipe for whole wheat waffles

Dry mix and recipe for healthy muffins

Dry mix and recipe for healthy breads

Whole wheat pizza dough and fixings

Homemade hummus and whole wheat pita bread

Homemade jam (OK, this is a sugar-loaded food, but it has some fruit in there right?)

Goat cheese (if someone gave this to me, I’d buy them a BFF charm)

Oranges (I miss this holiday staple from AZ. All you Arizonans, don’t take your citrus for granted! Eat one for me!)

Have a garden? Kudos to you, now share!



Non-food gifts:


Plant

Poinsettia

Games

Potpourri

Movie tickets

Fresh flowers

Babysitting coupons

Favorite family game

Christmas/Hanukkah Bingo

Gardening tools/seeds

Journal and nice pen

Inspirational photo, framed

Inspirational quote/poem, framed

CD of your favorite holiday tunes

Jump rope and book of jump rope rhymes for the whole family

Bulb flowers (here's a cute idea that maybe even I could pull off)

Restaurant gift cards (hopefully they will order wisely!)

Gift certificate for raking their leaves, hanging shelves, or any other type of service

Donate toys or food on behalf of your neighbors

Homemade ornaments (thanks, Jen!)

Homemade crafts (I'll leave this up to you guys...)

Candles (these are my favorite!)

Kitchen supplies (whisk, pot holders, etc.)

Favorite family recipe

An invitation to dinner at your house

A kind note letting your friend know how much they mean to you and your family


I am sure there are many more ideas out there. What have you done to let your friends and neighbors know you love them, without expanding their waistlines?




5 comments:

Chiemi said...

You know what I love to give out? mandarin oranges and pomegranates They are so yummy!

Trainer Momma said...

Send some pomegranates my way ASAP. That is an awesome idea!

Crystal Star said...

We do a favorite children's book. I know you would love that idea (PEEF!)

Trainer Momma said...

PEEF is my all time favorite children's book for Christmas! I love that idea, Crystal... I will have to do that one next year.

Jen Howick said...

I found an idea on another blog that I used this year. Buy a cute notepad like the ones that have a magnet on the back that you hang on the fridge, and then put a note on it that says "Happy Holidays from our "pad" to yours!" Love it! That's what we did. No sugar and useful!

Related Posts with Thumbnails