My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Thursday, November 12, 2009

Healthy Banana Bread

I married into this family with no, none, zero, zilch, nada, as low as you can go cooking skills. Cooking in my house when I was growing up meant successfully heating up a Lean Cuisine Pizza. We were so busy, my mom didn’t like to spend time in the kitchen, so I just never learned.

A side benefit to marrying into the Reading family was that there are many expert cooks. It started with my mother-in-law and she passed that talent down to her only daughter (and my now dearest friend), Laura.

I have called Laura for help in making nearly every dish. It started with scrambled eggs, baked potatoes, pancakes, then I worked my way up to harder things. She has opened her kitchen and cookbooks to me for 14 years now, and I don’t know what I would do without my own, personal Julia Child at the other end of the telephone!

The following is her tried and true Healthy Banana Bread recipe for the masses (when we all gather it is like feeding an army). I have made some adjustments… I have tried to reduce the sugar in this bread, but it turns out that only me and Buddy (my dog) like it that way. So, I have left the sugar in, but taken out the bad fats and make it with all whole wheat flour. This bread freezes well, is great for lunches, and after school snacks.

Please see my Trainer Momma disclaimer here before putting a slice in your mouth…



Healthy Banana Bread
Adapted from my sister-in-law, Laura’s, recipe

½ cup unsweetened applesauce
1 cup low fat, low sugar yogurt (any flavor)
2 cups sugar
5 eggs
3 tsp vanilla
6 cups whole wheat flour
3 tsp baking soda
3 tsp baking powder
1 ½ tsp salt
6 large, overripe bananas

Dump in all ingredients except the bananas. Mix well. Add bananas. Mix until blended.

Bake at 350 for 1 hour.

Makes 3 large loaves.

Click here for a printable version of this this recipe.



2 comments:

Alisa J said...

looks yummy. I have some ripe bannanas in the freazer waiting to be made into bread. I'll have to try it!

Alicia said...

That looks great! I'll have to give it a try too.

Related Posts with Thumbnails