JUST. LEAVE. ME. ALONE.
I have been a bear lately. We’re talking big, momma, fuming, hungry, angry bear. Yep, you guessed it: P.M.S. It drives me nuts because even though I am perfectly aware that it is that time of month – I still let the inner grizzly come out. I hate it.
And the hunger. Oh, the cravings are driving me into a frenzy. I have to get a hold of myself before I do some serious damage – both to my familial relationships and to my hips.
Let me tell you how I pulled myself out of the black hole of PMS I’ve been floundering in for the past two days:
1. Satisfied the craving. CHOCOLATE. That is all I wanted. Before I dove head first into the jar of Nutella, I quickly made myself a protein shake:
1 cup skim milk
1 scoop chocolate protein powder
5 ice cubes,
2 Tbs of sugar free chocolate syrup
1 Tb of indulgent Almond Butter (this is pure bliss).
1 scoop chocolate protein powder
5 ice cubes,
2 Tbs of sugar free chocolate syrup
1 Tb of indulgent Almond Butter (this is pure bliss).
Aaaaaahhhhh. Disaster averted.
Chocolate heaven.
Chocolate heaven.
| From November 2009 |
2. Worked out like a maniac. Up early, lifted biceps, back, and ABS today for an hour. Then taught a class later in the morning with some serious calorie blasting plyometric moves just to blast the irrational stress and frustration out of my day. Condolences to those who came to the class and endured my crazy Trainer Momma antics. I had to do it. It felt soooo good!
3. Ate a killer lunch. I was starved, but held off grabbing the nearest thing. I cleaned out the fridge and made a classic Mandi concoction. It is not pretty but it was loaded with veggies, protein, and FLAVOR! I threw it all in a pan and cooked it up:
1 whole zuchinni
½ cup red and green pepper diced
some red onion
¾-1 cup Egg Scramblers
seasoning blend
1 Tbs reduced-fat Feta cheese
a few slices of avocado
½ cup red and green pepper diced
some red onion
¾-1 cup Egg Scramblers
seasoning blend
1 Tbs reduced-fat Feta cheese
a few slices of avocado
I waited until the toddler was down for a nap, then ate in silence next to the the flowers the Doc gave me yesterday (see, I told you it's been bad). All that fiber and protein helped me control further crazy food cravings.
| From November 2009 |
4. Drank a gallon of water.
5. Went to bed early.
6. Did things I love. Train clients. Laugh with a girlfriend. Call my sister. Read a good book. Write this post. I tried some retail therapy at Marshalls (where else?!?), but all nine -- read it, 9! - dresses I tried on looked horrific on me in my state. I thought I learned that lesson a long time ago: never, ever under any circumstances stand in front of a mirror partially naked while P.M.S.-ing. What was I thinking?!?
6. Apologized to the Doc and three children for being Oscar the Grouch.
I’m finally back from my dark abyss -- and it feels good.
Fit Mommas -- what works for you? How do you muddle through these cruel P.M.S. days?


6 comments:
Ahh yes, PMS. Tonight I learned it is dangerous to attend YW and be in charge of Beehives while experiencing this. I almost broke down and ate cookie dough when I got home (you should be proud because I resisted).
What a great, hilarious post! Wish I had some great suggestions on what I do. Unfortunately, I'm still at the begining stages of avoiding food for comfort. I'm doing great, have yet to give in, but it's still a HUGE mind struggle. Ask this question in a couple months and I'll have a great answer.
Unfortunately, I usually succomb to everything you're NOT suppossed to..eating candy and greasy stuff, drinking too much diet coke, sitting on the couch while poking my belly fat whilst nagging the kids and grumbling at the mr. But I DO have to say one thing that has helped: I mark my calendar so I know it's coming...then I can mentally prepare myself for the monthly downfall while I still feel somewhat sane. Then I can plan ahead what I will do for exercise, drink lots of water, avoid caffeine, (or maybe take it down a notch), get rid of the junk...some or all those things you suggested - it ALWAYS helps!
haha...love this post!
thanks for the recipes...i am trying them TODAY! thanks! :)
MMMM! That almond butter looks awesome! I usually make my own at the health food store, but I think I will try that!!!
I usually prepare myself that it is coming and try to "reward" myself with a trip to the bookstore if I didn't give in to any cravings.
Also - i find that a cup of tea (herbal) goes a long way in satifying a sweet tooth - I looooove peppermint tea and it saves me from candy canes every Christmas!
I cannot seem to "get" the herbal tea thing. My sisters-in-law both swoon over their nightly herbal tea fix, but all I taste is grass. What am I missing?
Post a Comment