My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Kids and Exercise: How Much?

I devote a ton of time on Trainer Momma about the exercise needs of us women and mothers. How much to exercise? How often? How hard? We’ve gone over it, then over it again.

But what about the kids? The USDA and American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that kids and teenagers get 45 - 60 minutes of exercise most days of the week. I’ll be honest -- this is overwhelming to me most days. I’m working my tail off just to get them up, clean, dressed, fed healthy food, in school on time (or almost on time), homework done, and not ripping each other’s heads off. Let’s face it, just keeping them alive is a full time job -- and THIS TOO? When am I supposed to fit in that in among the carpools, meals, school, escaping dog, work, and homework? Hello?!?

As a mother, I do want to raise healthy kids that turn into healthy adults. So, despite the challenges and time restraints, I have chosen to TAKE THIS ON when it comes to my kids. They deserve and need it.

I’ve learned the easiest way to get my kids moving is to build it into our day. I realize they are not mini-adults and I can’t expect them to get on a treadmill after school and run for 45 minutes solid like I do. If moving is part of our routine and is broken up into smaller segments, then it gets checked off the list.

P7110010


√ Walking
We daily walk to school every morning. It is the easiest 20 minutes to sneak in and terrifically bonding for our entire family. The kids tell about their me about their lives, we find worms, we talk about friends and school. I’m not on the computer, phone, cooking a meal, or changing a diaper. They have mom’s undivided attention and they take full advantage of it. It’s just the road, them and me.

Another favorite time for us to take a walk (particularly when it cools down) is after dinner. The Doc is sometimes home and we just do a quick 15 minute loop around the neighborhood. Again, another time when they have our undivided attention.

PA300059


√ Outside time
I have vivid memories of being a kid in the sweltering heat of Arizona and my mother kicking us out the back door and locking it. Yes, locking it. We were not allowed back in the house until she was good and ready for us.

I will admit to following in the footsteps of my mother. I do take mercy and pass water to the kids through the window to them when I see their cheeks are a little on the red side. Or, heck, sometimes I just tell them to get a drink out of the hose. No, I honestly am not punishing them... It is during these outside times they run, play, slide, zip, make up games, problem solve, build relationships -- oh, and get exercise to boot.

Tressa Volleyball - 11


√ Sports
We are a competitive sports family. Soccer is starting this week for our family and we are all totally geared up for it. The weekly practices and games take over our lives for a few months, and we eat it up. Be it swim team, baseball, basketball, volleyball, gymnastics -- anything will do, really. It is again, a built in time for my kids to run for an hour or more a few times a week.


Eisenhower Hike - 10



√ Family Fitness
This is what my kids love the most. Times when Dad, Mom, and kids are all exercising together. We try to regularly schedule in park time, swimming, biking, hiking, or walking at least once a week. Right now this is easy for me since my kids are in the blissful “honeymoon ages” -- no infants and no teenagers. Gauging on how loudly I complained when my mother dragged us on hikes as a teenager, I’m sure I’ll have my come uppin’s in a few years.

For now, however, I’m taking full advantage of their willingness to do just about anything to do something fun with their mom and dad.  That way, they're exercising and not even realizing it.

And I can check another thing off my list.  Whew.

P2270003


Hey Fit Mommas, I know you have taken on the challenge to get your kids moving too.  Comment below and tell us WHAT WORKS in your family!



Like this?  Want more?  Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here.  Thanks!

8 comments:

I am LoW said...

I definitely think it doesn't need to be an organized thing, but just sending your kids out to play. As a matter of fact, even when they stay inside and bounce off the walls, they get a work out, their red sweaty faces can prove it. :)

the Villamor's said...

this has been on my mind lately and it feels like one.more.thing.to.do....but something is better than nothing. What I am doing now that the weather is cooler is sending them out in the evening. They sometimes come with me when I walk the dog for a quick 10 minute walk(or a quick bike ride). As it continues to cool i will kick them outside for longer periods. I wish we could walk to school...that would be so cool!

I also thought I could encourage them to play Wii sports more (when they can't get out) and actually get up and jog instead of sitting on the couch and shaking the remote:)

If we ever move I want to pick a larger city with lots of walking trails and family fitness opportunities!

sallyavena said...

This one made me laugh. We used to make our oldest child run laps around a half wall that divided our living room, just to wear him out and he would sleep much better. He thought he was just showing off how high he could count (it worked in that area too...he learned to count to 50 at the age of two because he did this all winter). Now they have games that involve running laps around our house. While it may be a little noisy, I let them because I know they need it on those winter nights. For the rest of the time I second all that you have said.

Tassi Smith said...

We have an awesome park behind our house with trails. There is one with exercise stations that my kids like to do. I also have kids that love to jump on our trampoline. I have to admit I love that part too.

Trainer Momma said...

Since it rained here all day, the walking and outside play has been out of the question. So, my kids have been playing nerf gun wars all afternoon. Some serious sweating has been going on :)

My kids love the trampoline as well. No broken bones yet!

Kate said...

Swimming lessons twice a week, impromptu tetherball matches, running & chasing the dog, riding bikes, trips to the park, and rock climbing and swimming at the YMCA. Sometimes I'll put my son on his bike while I go for a run - he loves it and it gives me someone to chase!

Vennesa said...

Right now competitive gymnastics and soccer fill a lot of time for our kids: 7 hours per week for one kid! But the others need something besides walking home from school. I think I'll get out the stroller and walk with them to school. On the way home I'll let my 3 year old out to walk at her own pace. Thanks for the idea!

Lori said...

I'd love some suggestions on how to manage sports for kids with an already busy schedule. It seems to cut right into dinner time and can really make me stressed.

Related Posts with Thumbnails