My heartbeat started beating a little faster. TRAIL RUNNING?
How was I supposed to run off the road when I could barely run on the road?
I was certainly not confident enough in my running prowess to pretend I was a nimble, human all-terrain vehicle. I think I started coughing, made some shallow excuse about coming down with bronchitis, we had slab leak in the bathroom, and the baby was cutting her incisors and was a mess. I hung up the phone as fast as I could.
She never invited me again.
Now, I wish we could rewind time and I'd be there at the trailhead with bells on (and some good running shoes. OK - no bells. That would be terrifically annoying).
When we moved into this house 4-plus years ago, there was one thing I knew I liked about it: the backyard. I had no recollection of the kitchen, the closets, storage space, shopping, or highway access. Nothing. All I saw was the gloriously big backyard, the play structure, and trampoline. As a mother of young children living the first 10 years of marriage in apartments, town homes, and matchbox-sized homes, this meant freedom (translate: I could kick my kids outside). Intoxicating.
Now we've been here for a time, I've moved beyond the backyard and discovered many more things I really love about this house. A huge discovery has been this killer trail that runs behind our neighborhood. It has a paved trail and also has side trails that are unpaved that I'm sure were designed for mountain biking. With the Doc's lead, I took the plunge and started trail running.
There are a dozen things I adore about trail running, but here are the highlights:
I Have To Use My Brain
It is mentally challenging to navigate the terrain. Jumping over roots, hopping over rocks, sprinting up hills. It all makes the time go much faster than my street runs. I actually have to think and pay attention.
Easy On the Knees
I've noticed because I'm navigating the trail, it is very natural to do a mid-sole strike. I take shorter strides, and my knees are naturally coming up a little higher. This takes a ton of pressure of the tired knees and puts it in some stronger areas: glutes, quads and hamstrings.
Simple
I just have to throw on my running shoes and trot to the trail to get started. No bikes, gears, caps, or tools needed. Just me, the shoes, and the music. I do not own a pair of specific trail running shoes. I would, however, be interested in getting my feet into these beauties someday.
Time Flies
I'm completely entertained by discovering new trails, ponds, deer, and an occasional reptile :) Sure, my speed and distance are definitely reduced, but I enjoy the experience so much more than the pavement.
I'm a Super Star
I keep looking for the cameras filming me like I'm in the upcoming Mission Impossible IV film. With Pat Benetar as my movie soundtrack, I run through the trails as though Tom Cruise and vicious creatures are on my heels. When I look back, however, the only creature is this one:
![]() |
| Just a very tired dog. Hang in there, Buddy! |
Hey, Fit Mommas! Have any of you tried trail running? What do you love about it? Comment below and tell us WHAT WORKS!
For more info about trail running in your area, check out these websites:
American Trail Running Association
State Trails
International Trails
Related Posts:
See Me Run
Do I Have to Run?
My Knees Hurt
More "Have You Tried This?" Posts
Like this? Want more? Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here. Thanks!



7 comments:
buddy up - the trails can be a little scary when you run into random strangers in the middle of the woods - don't recommend it solo
You are one brave momma.... I too much of a scaredy cat to go on those trails b/c of the signs of "that" snake... did you see one?!! :)
Perhaps I have seen a snake. Perhaps Jared almost caught it by the tail.
I am with you on the don't go solo thing. These trails behind our house are pretty well populated. In a different circumstance, I may not be so brave.
But, ask Amy. I often have the "Is This Safe" screw loose most of the time.
How can you not love trail running when you live in Utah.. in the middle of some awesome trails??
I love it, so I finally bought trail running shoes this year, and the stupid things have vents on top, so all that I get is dirt filling my shoes. They are lame! Don't they know that trail = dirt!
looks heavenly!!!
I just recently found your blog! Love it!
Also, I am 6 weeks post-baby #3 and want to lose this weight. I have been told that my thyroid levels are crazy, but I am headed to a doctor to get that fixed.
My question for you is, what would be my best option for losing weight, but still be able to nurse my baby boy? What would I need calorie wise and what about exercise?
Jennie
Jennie --
Check out the pregnancy links in the sidebar. You'll get some good info there.
Also, here's a post I did about nursing and weight loss:
http://trainermomma.blogspot.com/2010/01/fit-momma-question-nursing-and-calories.html
First and foremost -- KEEP NURSING!
Post a Comment