My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

See Me Run

Last week I posted about my knee woes. I’ve sought help after the Doc has shoved me out the door and practically made the physical therapy and doctor’s appointments for me. They have helped slightly, but not ultimately.

Since I am a pretty active gal, I've analyzed what hurts my hurts and what doesn't:

jumping rope - NOPE
plyometrics - NOPE
running stairs - NOPE
weight lifting - NOPE
cardio machines - NOPE
dancing - NOPE
aerobics - NOPE
running - YES

It has baffled me and many other trainers that I can do a ton of high impact activities, but not run. WHAT. IS. UP. WITH. THAT.

There are a handful of runners at my gym. I’m not talking joggers or even half-marathoners. These people are serious, big time, hardcore runners (they have earned those italics). They are hoofin' it so blasted fast the treadmill has a hard time keeping up. I just sit on the weight bench and watch them in wondrous awe. Their talent baffles me.  When they pass I bow my head in respect.

OK, I’m back. Moving on.

Anyway, they all started wearing these new shoes. They had vibrant colors and were, well, cute. I finally started picking their brain and inquiring what was on their feet. They all repeated the same answer:



What? Where was I? I've pretty much tried one of everything over the years that Sport's Authority has to offer.  It turns out that this is a new shoe that is designed very differently and can only be purchased at Newton approved stores. Oooo. They are also not your predictable running shoe.  They are designed for a mid-sole strike.

A mid-sole what?

It goes by many names these days: barefoot running, Pose Running, Chi Running, Evolution Running, mid-foot running, forefoot running, etc. In simple terms, the techinique requires you to decrease your stride, increase your cadence, and stand upright landing on the midsole part of the foot (not the toe!).

Now, to digress, I am a heel striker when I run-- BIG TIME. I never ran in high school or college (I was far too busy eating Hostess Chocolate Cupcakes with the little white swirls on top to bother myself with that silliness!). I’ve never been instructed in my running at all until that past few years. Even then, I was coached to run with a heel strike.

The Newtons are desgined for a midsole strike -- very, very different. They have padding in the midsole area to accomodate this technique and no (or not much) padding in the heel.



Well, after talking for months with these athletes about their shoes I started wondering if this different running style would work for me.

I reviewed the things that did not hurt my knees -- and lo and behold -- they are all land on the midfoot.  AH HA!  I knew I needed to figure out how to get my feet into a pair of these (especially since the triathlon was soon approaching!).  My birthday was conveniently approaching, so I bought myself some shoes for my birthday (I had maxed out the gifts from the Doc already ;).

So, now, two months after wearing Newtons, I have worked up to jogging once or twice a week for 45 minutes. It really does feel fantastic. I always have whined that all I want is to be able to jog for 30 minutes with no pain. Wish granted.

I must say, however, that I am now MUCH more aware of the demands that running has on my feet, ankles, and calves. The salesguy who sold these Newtons warned me, as did the info that came with the shoe to start slowly with the shoes and new technique. Only a mile, then switch to the old shoes and gradually build my way up. Did I follow their wise advice? Of course not! I went out for a 50 minute run on the first day -- and the tendons all over my feet let me know that was a bad course of action.

I don’t think these shoes are for everyone, they just happen to help me. I don’t have to wear special orthotic inserts in my shoes. I don’t have an outright injury I’m dealing with. The science behind this natural running form and the shoes just made sense to me. And they work for me.

Plus, they each have a very cool pic of Sir Isaac Newton:



I only put this out there for you to think about. It just might be a match for you like it is for me. The Newton website is fascinating with great articles on running, the midsole strike technique, videos, and even cute little stick figures demonstrating the run.  I have spent far too much time there.

A few more thoughts:

-  They run small.  These are the first pair of size 10's I've ever worn in my life.
-  They are pricey.  I got mine for around $160.  I was spending nearly the same on other workout shoes, so this did not make me flinch (that much).
-  I do not wear these for lifting weights.  I switch shoes.  I'm just a snob that way.
-  I do not wear these for going on walks.  Again, I have another pair of shoes for that.
-  I do not wear socks when I run with them.  They are THE LIGHTEST shoes I've ever put on my foot and have amazing ventilation.  I love the wind whipping through my toes :)  I just don't want a sock to get in the way of that.  I just put them deep in my closet so I don't smell that much.
-  Nope, I still have zippo desire to run a marathon, or even a half of a marathon. I’ll leave those amazing feats to you guys :)


-  Nope, I haven’t however, tried these babies -- yet. Heck, I’m the pround founder of the "Try Anything, Expert of Nothing" club.  The Vibram's and barefoot running are just around the corner, I suppose :)

What about you, Fit Momma's?  Have you tried this midsole strike?  What do you think?

** BTW -- Newton Running did not ask me nor compensate me in any way for this post.  I just like to pass on WHAT WORKS.  

Like this?  Want more?  Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here.  Thanks!

20 comments:

fitncrafty said...

Thanks for this great post! I am the champion of the midsole strike!
I have yet to try any special shoes besides my fleet feet fitted Mizunos... super motion control for my flat feet...
I have to say that I have never had any trouble with them until the chi running instructor told us to relax our ankles and did a little exercise. Yikes... now I feel like I am dragging this honking things all over!
I am going to have to go on over to the newtons website and check it out, another guy in the chi running workshop I went to said he had recently bought them and loved them.
I am like you, a girl with many shoes to fit the fitness occasion.. Love my fitness shoes!

Genevieve said...

Very interesting! CHI Running just came in the mail today! Can't wait to research some more--new inserts for my pronation and a better understanding of how to run "the right way"--I'm interested to learn about the midsole strike because I have mostly no's on your list as well (besides running of course).

Anonymous said...

I need to get a pair of these! Running is the only thing that hurts my knees and hips. I started running with the mid-sole strike awhile back after I saw a program on the mechanics of running. They hooked this super marathon runner up to hundreds of electrodes and monitored where the greatest points of stress were during a heel strike and what injuries those stresses would cause. The results were scary! Then they had the guy go barefoot and use a mid-sole strike. The stress gauges registered almost nothing. It was really quite amazing. The runner commented that he felt lighter and more in control of his body while using much less energy. Pretty cool!

Ratliffs said...

I'm glad you wrote about these...My mom mentioned getting a pair and I have yet to talk to her about how she likes them. I have a pair of vibrams and I LOVE them. I also have a couple of pairs or the Terra Plana's barefoot shoes. They are also pretty great. Since I just had my baby, I have yet to get back into my exercise routine, but I'm looking forward to it very much. I've thought about just running in my vibrams, but I may consider buying a pair of newtons. Have to think about it some more...

Amy said...

Mike keeps telling me "heel to toe" when we run... b/c that's how he was taught. AND.I.HATE.IT! :) Maybe mid-sole is what I need.

Kristi said...

My orthopedic surgeon told me that one of the reasons my knees got even worse is because I run like this.... maybe if I had shoes that were built for it though.... hmmm.... Thank you for some hope!!!!
Still can't do any of the other stuff, It kills if I have to kneel down, let alone do plyo's! ;)

Christina said...

k trying to figure it all out--talk about needing to be coordinated!!! i will try the method out tomorrow....

Trainer Momma said...

You really should check out the Newton Running site. Here's a link to the little running man:

http://www.newtonrunning.com/run-better/optimal-running-form

Remember, DECREASE your stride and INCREASE your cadence.

Also, the guy at the Tri store I bought these at gave me about a 20 minute running lesson right there in the store. That helped immensely.

Bloggie McBlogger said...

I don't jog far or well, but when I do I do it barefoot. I LOVE it! When you were mentioning your troubles when running I was going to suggest trying it barefooted, but thought you might think I was crazy. Most other people think that I'm crazy for it. Then I start spouting the benefits of barefootedness. :-) It's nice to see that someone else has at least HEARD of it before!
I did March of Dimes in April, and I wore my running shoes. I'll never wear sneakers to it again! My knees and my hips were so sore for the next few days, and I blame it all on my "running sneakers."
I can't wait to try out a pair of Vibram's. They seem like they'll be EXCELLENT for colder weather, or just for when the acorns start falling on my jogging path. YEOWCH!

SeeMommyRunandBoxandCraft said...

Love ya Trainer Momma. Just found you this week!!!
I have to chime in :)
I really believe it is not the shoes that are helping your knees, it is concentrating on your form that is helping your knees. For heel strikers, Newtons do not correct your form. They will force you even further back on your heel. You have to already be working on running mid-sole to wear these. That is what the Newton dudes told me when they first introduced these shoes. If you're a heel striker the shoes don't work. REmember to buy your running shoes 1/2 size larger than your regular shoes. Newtons told me to go a FULL size up in Newtons and they hit my arch in a bad spot. So only go up 1/2 size. I'm a hardcore runner. I like Newtons. But they definitely are not the holy grail for everyone. Oh - and barefoot running? Uhm, glass, rocks -- OUCH! Vibrams, maybe. But I'd have to be convinced BIG TIME.

Trainer Momma said...

I agree -- they are NOT the magic pill that people are looking for. It is definitely the running technique that has helped my knees -- the shoes just support it, that's all. I know that this has worked for me, but definitely not for all people.

the Villamor's said...

very interesting! I can't do plyo or high impact anything but can run! i have watched a few youtube videos to see what the chi form looks like. It almost looks like a shuffle? Except you are not scraping the feet?? I think this is how I run...my ankles are so tight that I don't get a good heel strike even when I walk.

How do you increase your time if you decrease your stride? So you are taking more steps per area? I will definitely have to play around with this new technique on my next run! My goal is to increase my pace at my triathlon next Saturday....my first one was 11:23/mile but I finished feeling strong so I was pleased. Normally I can do a 9-10 min mile. thanks for posting your new experiences!

Trainer Momma said...

My turnover has picked up BIG TIME. I am used to plodding along, so this has been a very big change for me. I feel very light on my feet and simply don't let them stay on the ground very long. See that blur? That was me. I AM A CHEETAH.

Totally kidding. My time is still pretty slow (8:30 - 9:00 mile; it used to be around 10:00 mph), but I feel like a rock star.

Trainer Momma said...

OK -- last comment I said 10 mph -- What I meant was 10 min mile. BIG DIFFERENCE.

Selena said...

I was never a runner, but last year I started jogging and got ADDICTED...until my hips started hurting. The Dr. said it was bursitis. A few weeks of not running and a steroid shot fixed me up. Any experience with this? Is it my form?? I really want to get jogging again.
Thanks!

Sir Isaac said...

So glad that our shoes were able to help you start running again, pain free. If you have any questions about the shoes or the technology behind them feel free to contact us. Good luck in future training!

Cheers,
Sir Isaac

MaryMC said...

I have been running in my first pair of Newton's for a few months now and I must say I am HOOKED! I was a skeptic-loved my Asics-but was having some minor knee and hip pain. I had been to a doctor and PT and they didn't really find anything wrong. Since I switched to the Newton shoe I have gradually noticed no pain. They are so light-now when I wear my regular shoes (for weight training) they feel so heavy. And bulky in the heel. Oh-I also had some heel pain from time to time and that is gone too. Amazing. I am sure they are not for everyone-like you said-but they sure are great for me!

Jocelyn said...

Love love love my Newtons. Runner here too. Major issues with shin splints. Did everything possible.. The shoes are greatmess. Yes they do take some time to break in but I can tell I am running better.
Good luck on your running.

http://runnergirl523.blogspot.com/

yul meade said...

thank you so much for sharing!

after losing 90lbs over the last two years, Newtons are on my list once i reach my next goal--i can hardly wait.

congratulations!

Marci said...

I just got a pair of Vibrams and I love them. They take a while to get used to, but I am enjoying being sore again! My favorite is running sprints in them. You feel like you are flying. I love the quicker shorter step, and how you seem to stay in a forward motion, if that makes any sense. They feel wonderful, and I hope to run a half marathon in them this October. So far I can only run a couple of miles in them. But I am adding a little distance each week. I just throw them in my jogger stroller and then put them on for the last two miles of my daily run. My knees and hips sure like the Vibrams too!

Related Posts with Thumbnails