However, the hate part kicks into full gear after about 10 measly minutes when my right knee or left knee or both start aching and tightening up. I know from too much experience that is the type of pain that I can't work through. It only gets worse. It is very frustrating and disheartening as I limp home. I've avoided running for long periods of time because of this.
I have done some personal investigative work on my own. Years ago, I went to an orthopedic surgeon complaining of pain in both knees. He took some x-rays and declared my knees, "Not perfect." I didn't have any outright injuries or tears, but there were a lot of ridges and bumps in there that was causing some friction which lead to the pain. He instructed me to only "baby my knees."
It has been shown that women athletes suffer from 6-8 times more knee injuries than men. What? Why is that? I mean, hello, we have enough to deal with with these female bodies. Menstruating. Babies. Fluid leaking out of odd places at in opportune times. Menopause. Now knees to top off the list? I am feeling a little picked on.
Here are a few reasons why women have more knee pain and problems than men:
Hips Don't Lie
One theory blames our wider pelvises, or let's just say it: our child bearing hips. It creates a sharp angle down to our knees. Wide to narrow. That creates a lot of pressure on our ACL and often will cause it to tear. This, of course, does not plague all women, just a select few of us lucky ones.
I was complaining about my inability to run due to lousy knees to a friend of mine at the gym. He is a physical therapist and invited me to do a single leg squat. I did. He reeled back, covered his eyes, and groaned in agony, "Look at that angle! No wonder you are in pain!"
Thanks a lot.
Genetics
I come by this honestly: my mother has had cartilage replacement surgery on both knees. My sister, the dancer, has always struggled with knee pain.
Thanks a lot, Ms. Estrogen
Some studies have shown that with increased estrogen, our ligaments are weaker. Lovely.
So, what can we do? I have figured out a few ways to baby these babies:
- Warm-up for about 5 minutes before jumping into cardio or weight lifting workouts.
- Stretch after the warm-up for just a few minutes and after the workout as well. Often, this happens while I am brushing my teeth. I'm not kidding.
- Ice the knees for 10 minutes after a tough, demanding workout.
- Wear awesome shoes at all times.
- Strengthen the lower body by doing plyometrics and solid lower body workouts.
- Pay a friendly visit to your favorite physical therapist. Do the strengthening exercises they recommend (I will post on this later).
- Keep the weight down. A heavier body means more poundage pounding on those knees.
- Stop the workout if you feel any knee pain at all.
- Cross-train.
** TM Note: These suggestions are not for someone with a knee injury. Just knee pain. If you are not sure if you have an injury, go ask your doc to help you figure it out.
Anyone else out there experience this? What do you do to work with your aching knees?
Like this? Want more? Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here. Thanks!



13 comments:
Plyometrics with bad knees? That would just aggravate mine. I can run with no problem but the jumping gets me!
I have a problem with torn cartilage and/or little floaties that get lodged behind my kneecap. I have had 3 minor surgeries and have now some torn cartilage in my right knee now but it hasn't stopped my activity yet....just can be annoying at times!
Recently I had this grinding pain in that same knee. Lunges weren't going so deep nor my squats. I went to the dr. and he said i had arthritis behind my kneecap. Ok. I talked with a athletic trainer-friend and she said this was a common problem with athletes. Their kneecap will float to one side and cause the grinding pain. She gave me some exercises to do which pulled the kneecap back in the front and VOILA! no more pain! I was amazed at how strong my knee felt after I do those exercises. I have started icing my knees also which helps tremendously.
i love hearing other's stories about their knees because I will have to baby my knees as well if I want to keep up my activity level!
Plyo does not aggravate my knees, ironically. I theorize that #1: it lands on the balls of my feet, giving me more cushion. #2: I can do it on a good surface. For me running gets more painful on pavement and sidewalk. I last much longer on treadmills and trail running.
I have changed my run lately to have a mid-sole strike instead of a heel strike . I will have to post about that later -- It's awesome.
My hub and I both have one kneecap that doesn't track properly causing pretty extreme pain with extended running times. I also experienced this in high school when I ran long distance cross country track, though it has been much, much worse since having kids.
We both wear a velcro strap that is wrapped underneath the kneecap. It is fabulous! It keeps the kneecap in its proper alignment, and eliminates the knee pain. You can get them at any sporting goods store. They're usually where the Ace bandages and braces are. About $10.
That said, you've mentioned shoes, and I know that running in the proper shoe for your build and gait is a HUGE contributor to running without pain. We get our running shoes from Road Runner Sports. They have a custom fit shoe questionnaire to fill out, and then they recommend the right kind of shoe for you. You can run in them for 30 days, and if you have knee or back pain, you can send them back and try another pair. It's a great deal.
My knees don't hurt during plyo either.
Running is also my nemesis as well thanks to these
pronating knees. Great tips!! I'll give them a whirl!
I have issues with my knees too and I love to run. In fact I am struggling with this right now. My hubby and I love to participate in 5K, 10K races in the summer time, and I just don't know if I am going to be able to this summer. It is super frustrating!
I really like your tips though. It is encouraging. It is funny because I can do any other workout; plyo, biking, step aerobics, etc without pain.
My father in law is a physical therapist, and while he was in town a couple of weeks ago he worked on my knee and showed me a few stretches and tips, but I don't really know how to explain them in words; it would have to be a picture or something. But those things do seem to be helping.
Not that I am happy you have similar problems, but it does make me feel better that you can be fit and healthy without running all the time.
Keep the good advice coming!:)
I have had problems on and off with my knees.. much better since I have been evaluated and fitted for proper shoes.
Also, have you read Chi Running by Danny Dryer? It's a great book with lots of great advice for running form...
Plyo doesn't bother my knees either, but sometimes lunges do, that's a bummer!
hmmmm...mid-sole strike. That sounds interesting! My next pair of running shoes I want to buy at a place that custom fits you. I would also love to invest in a pair of custom-made insoles. I have heard they made a huge difference as well.
oh...one more thing....forgot to say how much i love glucosamine chodrotin(sp?). I didn't realize how much it helps until I ran out. ouch.
I definitely will be doing a post on Chi running. I've been doing it for two months now -- it's the mid-sole strike. For me, it has been revolutionary. Yes, still some knee pain but at least I can run around 45 minutes now vs. 10 minutes! I have some hope!
I used to have a LOT of knee pain and went to a Phys Therapist friend. I was pretty shocked when she told me that my arches had completely fallen. I was fitted for an orthotic arch support and told to ONLY WEAR MOTION CONTROL SHOES. I teach 4 high impact CardioBox classes/week (along with many other lesser impact activities) and I no longer have knee pain (rotator cuffs another story). :p
I was told I have ITB. Cure: don't run anymore :(, rest, run on the opposite side of the road, run in dirt, do ITB stretches (can find them online). I tried to rest-but get very grumpy when I can't exercise. No other form of exercise bothers my knee at all and I do it all! My knee gets sore after 2 miles of running-then I walk and it's fine. I don't really think the ITB stretches help-but maybe I don't do them enough!
I am a runner and have run 5 marathons my last being Boston back in April. I've never had knee issues until a few weeks after Boston when I had pain on the outside of one knee that stopped me in my tracks and I realized I have ITB. I took some time off from running (but was able to do plyo, cycling, etc w/o pain), went to my chiro for ART and have been faithfully doing my PT exercises which include clams, side steps with elastic band, bridges, lots of stretching, etc. I stopped doing these exercises as part of my regular routine when I was training for Boston because I just didn't have time and I know that is part of the reason why I got ITB. I'm back running now and feeling good and I'm starting to slowly build up my mileage again.
I've also changed my running gait to mid foot strike (it took a lot of work and some help from Newtons and barefoot running) and I now wear minimal shoes and run much more comfortably and ITB is the first issue I've had in over a year. I'd love to read what you think about Chi Running!
I, too, dropped my PT exercises due to time. And I kick myself everyday about it. There's just so much I want to do -- and limited time. However, when I end up not being able to do ANYTHING because I didn't do the preventative stuff, that's when I get frustrated. I should know better!
Post a Comment