My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, September 13, 2010

Celebrities of the Kitchen

Last day to enter the Trainer Momma Anniversary Giveaway.
Get this -- it is a $100 Gift Card to www.Zappos.com.
Hello, cute shoes!

I gain weight eating healthy food.

I swear, I do.

It's not necessarily salt water taffies, king-sized bags of M&M's, or super sized orders of fries like it used to be. It's the Greek yogurt, couscous, my 100% whole wheat bread, and sweet potatoes.

Well, then what's the point? If I'm going to gain weight eating healthy food or crappy food, I might as well blissfully jump into a vat of chocolate cheesecake ice cream!! Right?

Wrong.

I've tried both ways, and I am here to report that I gain WAAAAY more weight eating the crappy foods.

I've been there, done that -- and I am not going back there.

My issue is with portion control. The fact is that even though I'm eating oatmeal for breakfast, it does make a difference how much oatmeal I eat. The only way I can be safe around my oatmeal -- because sometimes a girl can get a little crazy around oatmeal! -- is by measuring it out.>
Some may think that measuring food is obsessive, uptight, fanatical, or neurotic.  I've heard it all, but what I call it is HONEST.  It's just a fact that my 1/2 cup of low-fat cottage cheese is a whole lot bigger than a real 1/2 cup of low-fat cottage cheese.  Or  my tablespoon of all natural peanut is a heck of a lot bigger than a tablespoon of all natural peanut butter.

When left to my own devices, my food, healthy or not, inexplicably grows.  When this happens (which is about every day for me), I invite these superstars back into my kitchen to play a starring role:

P9130012

Measuring Spoons
Yes, I have two sets of these, they get used so often.  From measuring salad dressing to tablespoons of slivered almonds, these gals get a serious, daily workout in my kitchen.  

P9130020

Measuring Cups
Again, these come in a duo since inevitably one of the cups is missing (if anyone has seen my silver 1/4 cup, text me, OK?).  These, of course, are very busy when baking and cooking -- but also pitching in with portion control.  They let me know when to call it quits with the Kashi cereal, how much Greek yogurt is enough, and exactly how much a 1/2 cup of brown rice is.

P9130009

Digital Kitchen Scale
This is my top favorite glamor gal of our kitchen.   This EatSmart Kitchen Scale was swag from FitBloggin' and I had no idea how much I needed this in my life.  It has helped soooooo much with my portion sizes with meat, weighing my bread (the Doc figured it was 70 calories per ounce -- but how was I supposed to know how many ounces it was?  NOW I KNOW!), and so many other things.

We are breaking it out all the time just for fun.
The kids measure their play dough, pretzels, Army men...
You know, all the important stuff.

Like this?  Want more?  Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here.  Thanks!

5 comments:

Alisa J said...

Are we twins or something? My issue is one-hundred percent portion control. I've got the healthy thing down, the portion control is a hard thing. I rely heavily on my measuring spoons and cups, as well as my notebook where I write down what I eat. If I did not, I would be sneaking all sorts of things, and eating lots of them. Its a daily, constant battle to keep my portions in check. I know exactly how you feel! Thanks for sharing that!

brooke said...

Measuring food has made a world of difference in my life. It took me a long time to figure out that the 150 calorie cereal meant I had to actually eat what the serving size said! My hubby makes fun of me measuring out peanut butter with a table spoon but you better believe that otherwise I'd eat three tablespoons worth!

the Villamor's said...

ugh...i hate portion control...but it is a necessary evil! :) just starting to get back on that band wagon my self after noticing that my middle is getting a little squishy!

heather said...

Much needed reminder on the importance of portion control!
I measure my portions but why is it so easy to measure a "heaping" cup of cottage cheese, take just a "handful" of cereal after I have measured the serving size, or take a bite full of whatever it may be as I put the lid back on?

Stacy of KSW said...

Thank you!! I had just about given up hope on healthy eating & daily workouts. I know portion control is the only thing holding me back now, I just needed to hear YOU say it :) Getting myself back on track, I swear

Related Posts with Thumbnails