10. Swimming is the only sport you can do from cradle to grave. Young children to the very seniorist of citizens can learn to swim. I just saw a 96-year-old man compete in a swim meet. I'm not making that up.
9. Swimming is a full body workout. What other sport can you do that uses the back, shoulders, triceps, abs, glutes, hamstrings and quads all at once?
8. Swimming strengthens your lungs. Do you struggle with asthma? Then start swimming some laps, girlfriend! The breathing forces your lunges to get stronger and healthier. Some of the world's best swimmers are asthmatics.
7. Swimming is a NO impact activity. Trying to save your knees? Are your hips killing you? Swim some laps and be so very kind to your joints.
6. Swimming is resistance training. With all that water to push and pull through, you are surrounded by tons of resistance. Swimming is an excellent for toning the shoulders, back (adios back fat!), triceps (WOW, my tris burn when I swim), abs (see the next reason), and even your lower body.
5. Swimming works your core. Wow, if there is any activity that engages and demands much from the core, it is swimming. It hits the core muscles from all angles. All that rolling from side to side with each stroke zeros in on the core. Every butterfly kick makes the abs kick into high gear. Swimming whittles away that waist down like nothing else.
4. Swimming is cheap! OK, all you frugalistas out there, this sport is for you. All you need is a suit and some water. Well, goggles are also a must. And I have to throw in a cap. And if you want an even better workout, you can splurge on a kickboard, fins, hand paddles and a swim buoy. Or, you can just scrounge in the lost and found at your pool and swipe those (yes, I am guilty).
3. Swimming is great for cross training. Are you have avid runner and always have been? Swimming is ideal to mix it up and start using your dormant upper body muscles.
2. Swimming gets your heart rate up. With so many muscles engaged and with the regulated breathing thrown in, you can bet your butterfly that your heart is definitely challenged during a swim.
1. Swimming burns calories. A 150-lb woman can swim moderately and burn up to 207 calories in a 30 minute swim. If she swims vigorously, she can burn up to 333 calories in 30 minutes. Heck, swim longer and burn more calories. Sign me up!
You you me, I just can't stop with ten. I must throw in the #1 reason I swim:
The real #1 reason I swim: Swimming is quiet. Despite all the health benefits to swimming, this is definitely numero uno for this crazed mother. No kids, no screens, no food, no traffic, no dog who is actually an escape artist, no lines to wait in, no bills to pay, no phone calls, no laundry, no messes. Just me and sound of the water.
Tranquil peace.
Now, THAT is hard to come by.
How about you, Fit Mommas? Why do you love to swim laps? Comment below!
Like this? Want more? Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here. Thanks! 



13 comments:
My plan is to swim laps during the 15 minute kid break at the pool. That way I'm getting a little exercise every hour and hopefully no one jumping on top of me while I'm swimming my laps.
Thanks for the great post about all the benefits of swimming. This is pretty much the only thing holding me back from doing a tri. I guess if I work on it this summer I may be more confident to do one in the future.
Join the club, Audrey. Most people stay away from tri because of the swim. I plan on doing more posts about swimming and how to get started. The first step is to just get in there and swim!
Just came across this blog and I am loving it. Thanks for all the great information.
I'm not a "fit" momma...not yet anyway but I live to swim! In the water I am weightless and can move with ease and grace, unlike exercising on land where having extra weight makes it a bit uncomfortable and difficult. I also like that you can totally switch it up with swimming so you don't get bored with it. I could go on and on about the countless reasons I heart swimming but I will just look forward to your future posts!
I am LOVING your blog!
Just recently discovered it!
Really want to incorporate more fitness tips and fit food on my blog!
Gotta find that balance!
SO glad you posted this!
I LOVE to swim!
Usually spend the summers at the farm and swim daily! It completely transforms my body!
We recently moved to the Northwest!
I have a FAB pool I could go to...but am so white and don't feel toned right now...so I can't seem to make myself go!
I have my goggles...my cap...everything but the nerve!
I know I would feel so much better if I would combine the swimming with my weights and walking and jogging.
I love your blog!
Gotta spend some time over here to get motivated!
xo
Do you have any workout dvd's you REALLY like?
What about at home YOGA dvd's!
I really want to get into doable yoga.
xo
I love swimming too. At first I felt like my swimming was controlled drowning but I got the hang of it after a while. Eventually it was a time to zone out in the tranquil blue of the water. I also loved how I never got hot!
I loved swimming as a kid but I also have fears about doing it now for some reason. My friend who does tri's advised me to get a one time private swim lesson and then go for it on my own after that. Sounds like a good idea.
Hi Trainer Momma!
Just letting you know!
I'm back over here on your blog with my notebook going through your recipes!
Going to the market tomorrow!
Before I worked out today...I watched one of your videos!
I think it was the fast drop squat move {forgot the official name}!
I did a set {20 reps} before my 4 mile workout and it was a BURNER! Loved that move!
I'm going to have to make a chart of your moves to hang in my workout room!
Thanks for all the GREAT ideas!
I'm hooked on your blog!
Posted your button on my blog today!
xoxoxox
What are your thoughts on Jolly Time 98% FF Popcorn?
I loved doing water aerobics while I was pregnant, but I haven't been back for awhile. Thanks for the fun reminder!
I'm nervous of a Tri too because of the swimming. My know how of swimming consists of the doggie paddle. Maybe I should sign up for swim lessons with the kids. I'm sure I'd be in a lower leven than them
I joined our rec dept so I could practice swimming for my triathlons. Swimming feels so good. I love the peaceful feeling of being in the water. I also love how it forces me to NOT have music while I workout.
Have you tried aqua-jogging? I read about it somewhere on the web and tried it and love to add it in to my lap swimming. It will really get your heart-rate up(especially if you do not use a floatation device) and it worked my core and butt very much as I was trying to keep myself in the upright position.
Mary Kate
My cousin Jill told me about your blog and it is very motivating for me. I live in AZ and swimming is just about the only way I can stand to get exercise in the summertime. Love all the reasons swimming is so good for us and hopefully that will motivate me to keep it up!!
I miss swimming so much. Our gym's lap swim time is just so inconvenient (an hour before childcare opens/the last hour of the day when my kids normally go to sleep) and my kiddos aren't old enough to swim on their own/sit on the side while I swim laps.
Post a Comment