I've got a question about ab exercises. I want strong abs, but definitely don't want bulky muscles there. Is there a wrong way to work out the abs that will add bulk?
First of all, Vanessa, there is good form and bad form:
Good form: Think of pulling your navel down into your spine and then perform the ab exercise that way. Go slowly and deliberately (1/2/1 count for most exercises).
Bad form: Sloppy and too fast.
(Check out this weeks' AB tutorial for more details)
That stated, however, I don't think it is such a fine line that you are going to do abs, walk out of the gym that day, look down, and say "Crap! I'm too bulky in my stomach!" It just doesn't happen. You won't pooch out your ab muscles permanently or even temporarily. That's a myth.
I've had some ballet teachers and pilates instructors threaten that if I did my abs wrong that I would build my abs "out" (if that makes any sense at all). One teacher gave the visual of building your abs muscles to look like a loaf of bread on the front of you. Well, I've been in the gym for a long time now, worked with many clients and not one have I ever met who had stomach could have been mistaken for a loaf of Wonder Bread. I don't buy it.

I have seen a lot of poochy bellies, however, and I really feel a lot of this comes down to three things:
Core.
Posture.
Nutrition.
Posture.
Nutrition.
I called my sister, Carley, who is a certified Pilates instructor and professional modern dancer. She brought up some valuable points:
Core.
First of all, it is beneficial to use good form while performing your ab exercises because it will reach and work those inner, deeper core muscles that are so important. These are called the transverse abdominis muscles or your core. These muscles can be described as your "girdle" or "waist cinchers". They are located under the obliques, it is the deepest of the abdominal muscles (muscles of your waist) and wraps around your spine for protection and stability.
Posture.
When strong, the core also helps support the spine and back, helping you stand up straighter, pulling that tummy in, and basically have better posture. A lot of times, I see women with their pelvis tilting forward, in turn letting their belly hang out as the main attraction.
Not cute, sistas.
With a strong core, it will help us stand up straighter, and naturally pull the belly in without even thinking about it.
Nutrition.
I've written on belly fat before... and I'll say it again: the best way to get a lean, six pack set of abs is nutrition, nutrition, nutrition. Often that six pack is under there -- but there's too much fat on the tummy to show it off. Reduce calories, eat the right kinds of foods... Gotta do it. You just can't ignore this.
So, I know I've gone off on a tangent -- what else is new, eh? But, good questions, good stuff.




7 comments:
Thanks for a once again great post. The picture of the two girls is hilarious!
As I was reading, I realized my posture was horrible. Thanks for the great post.
Fabulous tips. Now, can you do something for the stretched out skin my huge bambino gave me? Ah ha ha
My sister's personal trainer told her that losing weight is 70% nutrition, 30% exercise and I've come to agree with it. I've had a back injury for 2 months and have been able to do little in the way of cardio or weights and I've been able to maintain my weightloss down to the pound, just by watching what I eat. Food is hard for me though, I could exercise until the cows come home, but watch what I eat? Darn it. It's so hard!
Amen to that Cher... However I even think nutrition plays a larger role in it -- like 80%. It makes or breaks you!
Yep, you're right. As sad as it is, you cannot eat brownies and cookies ad nauseum and still expect to look like you did when you were 20. Protein and veggies is the advice I was given - what do you think? By the way, I really liked this post on abs. Keep 'em coming!!
Protein and veggies is the way to go... My mantra has always been protein and fiber, protein and fiber. The perfect combo!
Post a Comment