My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, June 28, 2010

Eat More! The Blessed Concept of Volumetrics

Are you a volume eater? So am I.  I like to eat until I feel full. There are a few ways we can do this:

1.  Eat an entire chocolate cake by myself.

2.  Eat foods that are high in water content and low in calories.

Let me give you a visual.



1 cup of raisins = 493 calories
1 cup of grapes = 110 calories.

The only difference? 
 Water.

Introducing the lovely art of volumetrics.  Eating for volume.  Quantity, baby.  Yes, I adore flavors and spices and very well made food.  There are some days, however, I just want to eat.  A.  LOT.  There are entire books written about this concept and they basically tout the same common sense idea of choosing foods that are full of water and low in calories.

Another example:

One serving (1/2 cup) of a non starchy vegetable averages around 25 calories (most are even less!).
Compare that with 1/2 cup of the ice cream I ate last night for 150 calories.
Ouch.

Summer makes this easy peasy. Visit your closest produce aisle and load up on non-starchy veggies and fruits.  Whip up some broth based soups and veggie packed salads. Wanna know something else totally sweet?  These foods are also chock full of fiber which -- guess what? --  keeps you fuller for longer.  Bullseye!

Now, I’m not saying it is wise to eat only eat fruits and veggies all day and bag everything else-- remember that balance thing we always talk about?  Moderation, right?  Let us not forget about the lean proteins, good fats, and whole grains.  They are higher in calories, so we need to remember a little goes a long way with these foods.  Also, I'm not saying to deprive yourself of anything that resembles a treat.  I eat those exciting indulgences regularly, hallelujah.

However, if you are ready to LOAD UP, and there are some days where that is going to happen, jump into a bowl full of this:



And do not do this:

Sniff.  
I miss my hairless days.  
And that cake :)

Hey, Fit Mommas!  What are your favorite high volume, low cal foods to load up on?  Any secrets?  Comment below to share WHAT WORKS!

Like this?  Want more?  Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here.  Thanks!

5 comments:

Alisa J said...

I eat by volume too! I am all about feeling full.

Blake Blogs said...

LOVE the picture! I just ate three really high-quality home made chocolate chip cookies. I was stressed and would have enjoyed ONE SLOWLY if I had been thinking - now I'm going on a long run to burn some extra calories.

Marie said...

Summer squash in all varieties is my favorite. I love it! It's so versatile and just happens to be coming out of our ears from gardening right now. Heaven.

Trainer Momma said...

I swear I could eat squash for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. I am an unabashed addict.

Eileen Blakey-Judd said...

So any produce, expect potatoes are alright?

Related Posts with Thumbnails