Hello holidays!
If you are like me, you are already rushing around from store to store checking items off the gift list for others-- but what about you? For the next several weeks, I will be posting about some things that would improve/enhance your workouts. Fitness gifts are my favorite, hands-down, so hopefully I can help you sift through all the junk and get you some quality stuff. Just forward these posts onto your husband/boyfriend/mother,etc. --they'll get the hint! :)
SHOES
Fit Momma Gaby asked this great question:
What kind of shoes should I buy? Every time I go to a store I get so overwhelmed with the selection that I just walk out. Right not I have a walking shoe but don't feel supported when I try to jog. Is it worth going to one of those stores that check out how you step/walk and then recommend a shoe? I'd like to do some jogging and running eventually. Is a regular cross-trainer shoe OK? I just don't know where to start.
This is a fantastic question. Shoes and I have quite a sorted history: love/hate, friend/foe. I have learned the hard way about shoes -- blood, blisters, and black toenails all have been involved. It has not been pretty. I won't go into details, but in a nutshell I used to think that I had to "break in" a workout shoe -- like a Birkenstock or something. This bogus method must have stemmed from my ballet days when I had to break in toe shoes -- that's all I can figure. So, I'd go to Foot Locker (remember that store?), buy a nice, snug shoe, somehow determine that it was worthy of my "breaking in" ritual, then proceed to suffer through workouts for the next several months. I literally have ripped off my shoes after limping through a workout and thrown them against a wall in tears. Wasted money. Wasted time.
A few things I have learned:
1. If you are going for general fitness stick with running shoes. They are lighter and that results in more agility. Cross trainers are fine -- but too heavy in my book. Running shoes are great for what you will be doing.
2. I also recommend going to a specialty running shoe store. Bring your old shoes so they can check out how you've worn them out. Also, they should have you walk or run for them. Some even have a computer that scans your feet. They will determine if your feet roll in or out, if you need inserts for your arches. Then they will recommend the best shoe for you. BUY IT. It will change your life!
1. If you are going for general fitness stick with running shoes. They are lighter and that results in more agility. Cross trainers are fine -- but too heavy in my book. Running shoes are great for what you will be doing.
2. I also recommend going to a specialty running shoe store. Bring your old shoes so they can check out how you've worn them out. Also, they should have you walk or run for them. Some even have a computer that scans your feet. They will determine if your feet roll in or out, if you need inserts for your arches. Then they will recommend the best shoe for you. BUY IT. It will change your life!
The last pair of shoes I bought, they recommended I go a 1/2 size larger to account for my feet swelling during a workout. I didn't know that. There must be some shoe university out there or something. They just know stuff I don't. Bless them.
After that, I go to Sports Authority or online and will buy my next pair or two (if I liked them). However, I like to return to the specialty store every year or so (I go through shoes very quickly) to see what the new technology and shoes are.
3. The shoes should feel FANTASTIC in the store. Like butta. The key to knowing you bought the right shoes is that you didn't think about your feet one time during a workout.
4. Replace your shoes regularly. I have to replace mine every 6 months. Even if the shoes look fine, after working out 6 days a week, they just don't hold their form anymore and don't give the support that is needed. Don't wait until there are holes in the bottom. Do your knees and hips a favor and replace every 6-12 months. If you jog daily, you may even have to replace sooner than that.
5. $$$. This is the stuff to spend money on. Nope, sorry -- no Walmart or Costco deals here. A great, quality pair of shoes is usually around $100 (and up from there). Some people choke at this, however, think about it: you are wearing them every single day. Put your money there, it is sooooo worth it. You do get what you pay for.
5. $$$. This is the stuff to spend money on. Nope, sorry -- no Walmart or Costco deals here. A great, quality pair of shoes is usually around $100 (and up from there). Some people choke at this, however, think about it: you are wearing them every single day. Put your money there, it is sooooo worth it. You do get what you pay for.
6. There is no one superior shoe out there. Everyone's feet are different, so everyone will need a different shoe.
I personally am hopelessly devoted to Asics Kayanos right now.
What about you? What are your favorite exercise shoes?



12 comments:
My mr. always says he'd rather pay for the shoes now & avoid paying for the medications later in life.
He's getting new shoes this week.
Amen to that.
I've tried them all! I started with Adidas - wide feet of mine! Tried Saucony and Asics and those are my favorites even though I always lose toenails after my races - gross, I know! I don't like Nikes to run in even though they have a newer style that isn't as narrow. They are just not for me. I haven't tried the Kayanos yet - too much of a tightwad! haha! I'm thinking that when I get some new ones, my dang piriformis problems will (hopefully) subside! Wish me luck...
I went to Striders and did the computer analysis thing and got some Saucony running shoes. So much better than the Reeboks or Adidas that I usually get from Sports Authority. I would go back to Striders because the sales people there really know their stuff. (And you can try them out on the treadmills.)
The shoe shrine! I bit the bullet and bought very expensive shoes at a real running shoe store 3 years ago. Ran on them for a few months. Loved them. Then somehow lost a shoe... one shoe. curse those littlekins. It's been 3 years and I haven't given up. The single shoe sits in my closet on the shelf. We call it the shoe shrine. Maybe I'll get a new pair for Christmas. :)
Mandi,
I went to Roadrunner Sports in Orange County and got my feet scanned and after trying out some shoes, I got some Asics. I had three of my children with me, not such a good idea. They told me I had 60 days to try the shoes out. I wasn't totally convinced that they would work for me but I bought them anyways. I went home and they just didn't feel right.
I went back the next day, sans children, and exchanged them. I tried on some others but as soon as I tried on some Brooks I was in heaven.
I can't believe the difference a pair of shoes makes!! I am now a true believer in getting the right shoes for your feet. Amazing!!
~Gaby
Great news, Gaby! Gotta love that 60 days trial period. Congrats on your new found shoe!
Hey Mandi! We miss you guys! But I LOVE your website :) Thanks for all the great advice. Any good recommendations for good running shoes stores in SA?
Recycledrunners.com offer options for donating your old running shoes!!!
Brother in law Scott
I love my Asics! Can't remember which ONE is mine, but I've been buying the same ones (they're purple) for 2 years in a row now!
I have to say "get running shoes!".. especially if you're not a runner (and I'm not). They have more room where your toes are, and that is a BIG plus when you're exercising!
Allison -- The place to go in San Antonio is called Soler Sports. Here's the link:
http://www.rogersoler.com/stores.php
You've just got to take charge, ask questions, and they'll set you up.
Love my Saucony Progrid Guide shoes! On my second pair and they have gotten me through several 5K's, weekly runs, and Jazzercise!
Post a Comment