My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, March 8, 2010

Insanity: I Met My Match

The Trainer Momma 
TJ Maxx $50 Gift Card 
GIVEAWAY ENDS TONIGHT!


Back to business:

In an attempt to support the Doc in his weight loss endeavors (40 lbs and counting!) and to be utterly romantic, I purchased the home workout program "Insanity" from www.beachbody.com (the same company that gave us P90X). 






Insanity boasts to be the hardest workout on DVD.  I knew Insanity would be challenging, and would give it the high five it deserves for definitely being the toughest workout out on DVD that I've personally done.

Here's my run down of the strengths and weaknesses of Insanity:

Strengths:

-  Plyometrics galore.
-  Interval training galore.
-  Sent my heart rate racing -- nothing is better.
-  It is like the hardest stinkin' class you've ever been to at the gym.  Times 10.
-  The entire workout does engage the core BIG TIME.
-  I loved all the stretching.
 -  Loved the nutrition info it sent as well as the booklet of simple recipes all around 300 calories.  I wished there were even more recipe ideas.
-  You are put through a Fit Test at the beginning, middle, and end to mark your progress.  Great idea.

Weaknesses:

-  LACK OF VARIETY. The. Same. Every. Day.
-  Not well balanced.  The program boasted that weights aren't needed, using your body weights does the trick.  Insanity has a bajillion push ups and does touch on the shoulders -- but the poor back, triceps and biceps are completely neglected. 
-  No weight training.  This was a huge leap for me to set my weights aside for 9 weeks.  However, full disclosure here:  I did lift once a week to work on my totally neglected biceps, triceps, and back. 


Results:

-  I have dropped 6 lbs while using Insanity.  However, I've watched my nutrition like a hawk, so don't really feel Insanity is the reason for the weight loss, but it definitely did support my efforts.
-  My body fat % stayed the same.  This was a relief since there were no weights lifted regularly for 2 months.  
-  I can do push ups in my sleep thanks to the never ending sets of them day after day.
-  I feel like my cardiovascular endurance has improved.  That is exciting.
-  I went back to the gym today and all the weights I lifted had to be increased.  I was surprised -- yippee!
-  I feel like my core and abs were noticeably strengthened.






This is insane me at the conclusion of one of my Insanity workouts, insanely exhausted.

So, in the end I was glad to see this program end.  I determined that the name "Insanity" is not really from the crazy hard workouts (although they are that) but from doing the same freakin' workout day after day for 9 long weeks.  The Doc would ask me, "What DVD do we have today?" to which I'd respond, "Does it matter?"  Yes, it does come with 10 different CD's, but they truly are all pretty much the same.  Tons of jumping and tons of pushups.  And Shaun T and the rest of his Insanites showing us their abs at every opportunity.




I would suggest Insanity to the intermediate or advanced athlete; this is NOT for beginners.  Also, commit to doing the program one time through, it's worth it.  However, don't throw it in the fireplace afterward (I nearly did), but hang onto it.  This is a fantastic resource for home.  It would be a great workout to throw in once or twice a week for your cardio.   However, it is definitely not a long term workout solution.  It is very hard on the body and terribly monotonous.

I drove to back to the gym to resume my normal workouts this morning.  I must say, despite it being 5:30 AM, it felt fantastic to be home :) Thanks, Insanity and Shaun T -- I'll see you around every now and then, but for now I'm glad to be back to my beloved weights and plethora of cardio choices.  YUM.

Again, I am in no way being compensated for writing this post for Insanity or www.beachbody.com. I just write about my experiences what I believe works and what doesn't.

Hey, Fit Mommas!  Have any of you out there done or thought of doing Insanity?  What are your thoughts about this?


13 comments:

Ashlee said...

My husband and I were totally captivated by the infomercial. But... we knew our bodies would hate us for all that jumping. Our knees/backs ached after the P90X Plyo.

And you're way more motivated than me. I for sure would have thrown it in the fireplace.

Vennesa said...

No thanks, that's just crazy.
(pun intended)

hannaH (that's Hannah backwards) said...

glad to hear you think it works. i just finished p90x, my boyfriend is doing Insanity and i think i'll give it a try!

fitncrafty said...

I love P90X and I also like Chalean Extreme. I have 'tried' a few bits of insanity and I don't think I could give up everything else I do for it. Good for a throw in workout now and again though...

I love P90X plyometrics, It is one of my favorite go to workouts if I can't get out and run etc....

What else do you like? I am always looking for new workouts...

TheFitnessFreak said...

I was previewing the DVD's the other day and I thought it may become monotonous. I have over 150 workout DVD's so getting bored for me is a good possibility. I got bored with P90X but I did finish but it has way more variety than Insanity. I guess we'll see how it goes : )

Thanks for the review!

Anonymous said...

I have been doing Insanity on my cardio days, and I like it that way. I don't think I could stand to do it every day for nine weeks- I need a little variety. It is a great program though, and I am seeing a marked improvement in my cardiovascular endurance especially when I run hills.

Anonymous said...

I've looked at it, but I was afraid of the no weights and the monotony. You've confirmed that for me.

hey-- I finally got on Lose It! today. I LOVE it. What took me so long?

Kim said...

I am in month two of Insanity and because of the lack of weights, I chose to incorporate P90X, Chalean, and Cathe weights along with the Insanity cardio. So I'm doing Insanity every other day and weights on the opposite days with one rest day. I have lost some weight, but I am eating better, too. I have noticed a huge improvement in my endurance as well and can't wait to get my bike out and see if there's a difference there!

Trainer Momma said...

I'm just not a regular at home exerciser to know what DVD's to rush out and buy. I do some very occasionally, but since I'm a gym rat you should check out this blog:
http://thefitnessfreak.blogspot.com/

The girl reviews these workout DVDs all the time...

Alicia said...

I have thought about doing Insanity a ways down the road. I'm 6 weeks into P90X, and I think I might do another round before I try another workout DVD. Thanks for sharing the info. I heard through the grapevine you were doing insanity, so I was interested to know what you thought.

Melissa said...

I have P90x but life kept getting in the way to get past week 3. I moved to Jillian Michael's program and have been doing her circuit training plus 10k training so far. I am itching to get back to P90x in a month or so just to shake it up.

Rachael said...

I am currently doing Insanity now. I am in week 3, and yes, already it is getting old. We decided to do the p90x ab workout instead of the Insanity one, because it seems better. I do like the fit tests...and I can tell a great difference in my cardio indurance. I have not lost any weight (but, I am not super strict with my diet either...that is the hardest part for me. I can workout until the cows come home, but eating healthy is SO hard!!).

Mandi, ever try Physique 57?

Trainer Momma said...

I've never tried Physique 57. It is very unusual for me to work out at home -- I'm a gym rat through and through. But all these are great options for me when I get stuck in the house and need a really good workout.

Related Posts with Thumbnails