Trainer Momma is giving away
two -- count it -- TWO
TJ Maxx $50 gift cards.
Fit Momma Boo sent in this very timely question:
I am chaperoning my sons' high school trip to Disneyland and some of the other parks and I have been wondering what I am going to eat. Any suggestions?
This an issue, isn't it? We can hold it together at home, but once we are out of our comfort zone, our nutrition goes down the tubes. Then, it taints the entire vacation!

Yes, I know these parks make our dreams come true, but often eating at them can be a nightmare. Deep fried chicken legs, deep fried churros, dripping ice cream sundaes, soft pretzels, huge cupcakes, nacho plates the size of a car tire, humongous hamburgers, chili fries at every turn -- all for about the same price as you would spend on three months of piano lessons for your kids. OUCH.
If you are allowed to bring food into the park, SCORE! You are home free. I know that Sea World here in San Antonio has signs saying no outside food allowed it, however, nobody stops us -- not even the security man going through my back pack with a stick (what is he afraid he's going to touch in there? Well, I suppose if it is my backpack it would be wise to use a stick. I do have 3 kids, you know).
Some healthy food options to carry around with you are:
protein bars (under 200 calories, over 10 g of protein)
beef or turkey jerkey
apples, oranges, fresh fruit
almonds or walnuts or trail mix (not too much!)
baggie of some whole grain cereal (Puffins are good, so are Quaker Oat Squares)
dried fruit
PB & J sandwiches on whole wheat bread
If you can carry around a small cooler do it!
I have even taken my kid's lunch boxes with me w/ an ice pack and it is the perfect size.
Pack some of the following:
make some turkey wraps to eat for lunch
low sugar yogurt
string cheese
lean turkey slices
baby carrots
grapes
boiled eggs
I've even carried hummus around Sea World with me. Yum.)
And FOR SURE bring a water bottle and fill it up and drink it through out the day.
This is the perfect opportunity to prove that you control food and that it doesn't control you. Just by thinking ahead a little bit will put you miles ahead at the end of the day.
Fit Mommas, how about you? How do you navigate the day trips that put you out of your "zone of control"?
Please send any questions or ideas my way! Contact me here. I really do love it! :)
Please send any questions or ideas my way! Contact me here. I really do love it! :)

3 comments:
We just went to Disneyland last year and we did exactly what you suggested. They also had the signs that said no outside food, but they didn't stop us. I don't think they can with all the food allergies around. They did make us throw away anything that was in a glass jar.
Where can I get some of those pink cookies in the picture? Yum!
Emily
apples save me on trips. I often eat 3 or 4 a day when traveling.
You are fantastic, Trainer Momma. I adore your blog and have sent many friends over to you.
Post a Comment