My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, December 7, 2009

ABS: The Crunch

First thing's first:

From Personal Training pics
IT IS THE LAST DAY, LADIES!
Click here and enter for your chance to win a
NEW F6 Polar F6 Heart Rate Monitor.


The winner we be announced tomorrow! Yeeha! Is this fun, or what?!?

Secondly, I must say that these weekly tutorials are to introduce and go over the basics of exercise. I really feel it is important to create a strong foundation and be sure that form is correct, because so many more advanced exercises build on these basics.

Moving on... The Crunch.

We've seen it a million times: someone at the gym doing crunches like a piston working over time in my minivan. Really? Is it working? More often than not, the form and tempo people use to do a crunch is incorrect, resulting in - well - no results.

I actually hate the term, "crunch" because that's what many people do: crunch up into a ball, with their head hiding in between their elbows and do mini sit ups really fast. If I could change the world, I would call them "lifts" because that is a more accurate description of the movement: deliberately lifting up to the ceiling. In my next life, I will be a lobbyist on behalf of personal trainers everywhere, and work the hill in DC and have Congress officially change this terminology :)

ABS Workout Part 1:
The Crunch

Objective:
To build strength in the abdominals and core.

Equipment:
Your hot momma bod.

Starting Position:
Lay on your back, knees bent. Put your hands either behind your head or cupping your ears. Elbows are flared out to the side. Lower back is pressed to the floor. Belly button is pulled into the spine.

From November 2009


Movement:
Using the ab muscles, lift the shoulder blades off the floor.

Keep the elbows flared out and LIFT UP TO THE CEILING. Your focus is UP at the ceiling.

From November 2009


Trainer Momma Tips:
The tempo here is important. Go up in 1 second, hold for 2 seconds at the top, then down in 2 seconds. This is called a 1/2/1 count. This is a good, steady pace. DO NOT RUSH.

Make your ABS do the work, not your hands, head, or neck. You should never yank the back of your head up with your hands. That is bad form -- and you are jipping your ABS. My favorite place to put my hands is cupping my ears.

From November 2009


Always been sure those shoulder blades are as far from the floor as you can get them. Make the abs do the work, not an overactive neck!


It is better to do less crunches with good form than it is to pump out a million crunches with poor form.

Cheater, Cheater:

Keep those elbows out! None of this nonsense:

From November 2009


Bring It Up a Notch:


Feet Up
: Raise your feet up to the ceiling. Crunch up.

Feet At An Angle: The lower you can put your feet, the more difficult the movement. Be sure to keep the lower back on the ground when you do this. Only go as low as you can with straight knees.

From Collages


Workout Ideas:
Do 25 crunches. Repeat 3 times.

Do the Feet At An Angle method. Do 25 crunches. Repeat 3 times.

From November 2009

Hey, even his form is right! We start 'em young around here.





6 comments:

Crystal Star said...

Hello flat stomach! I'll look forward to you emailing me tomorrow to tell me I won the Polar monitor. :) I'm impressed 88 comments?! You're famous.
Are you coming for the holidays?

Chiemi said...

Soooo if I do those tummy exercises will I look like you? :?

BB said...

My neck thanks you!
Also, do you have any suggestions for plank type ab workouts?

Trainer Momma said...

Planks are coming to a stomach near you! Thanks for the suggestion...

Vennesa said...

Woo hoo! Look at those biceps!

Elaine said...

Thanks for the tip!!! I totally need this... My stomach is so flabby...


clothedmuch.blogspot.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails