My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, September 24, 2010

Fit Momma Question: How To Help Your Family Make the BIG SWITCH?

Do you have any friends who you haven’t talked to in -- oh -- years and when you finally talk again it seems like the past 15 years never happened?  One of those, "So where did we leave off?" type of friends?

I had one of those conversations this week with a dear, lifelong friend. She brought up this issue and I’ve been thinking of it since:

How did your family handle “the big switch”? Meaning -- the switch from not so healthy food to healthy food?

PA190004


I have to start by saying I made the "big switch" in my own life BEFORE I had kids. Prior to kids, I did not know how to cook. I literally had to look in the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook to learn how to bake a potato (page 522, if you need it). I even remember calling my SIL to ask her how to scramble eggs. It was bad. I was regularly buying bags of candy, half gallons of ice cream (that was when they actually sold ice cream in half gallons -- what is this 1.75 quarts?!?), chips, and pretty much TONS of processed food to feed my husband and I. Boxes and bags galore.

After the "big switch", our eating and grocery shopping changed dramatically. First of all the salt water taffies I bought week after week sat on our entryway table FOR ONE WHOLE YEAR. They got so hard we could have skipped them across the nearby lake. It didn’t take me long to realize he was never eating that junk food.  Only I was.  I was cleaning it out single-handedly. Or apparently double-fistedly :)

There were a few things the Doc refused to budge on: white rice and tortillas. So, for a while I bought both. Then, within a few months, I didn’t. And he didn’t say anything. Switch made. Success. Cha-ching!

So, you may be evaluating your family’s eating habits and have recognized there is some room for improvement. The last thing you need is a full blown revolt in your own home. Here are some simple ideas to making your own “big switch” without eliciting too much mutiny:

Make one small change at a time.
I do not recommend switching from Pringles and Pop-Tarts to arugula and avocados overnight. The more I work with clients as a personal trainer and nutrition consultant -- I realize small changes work best and are the most lasting. This especially is true for our kids and spouses. Remember the ruler analogy? Apply that here. Choose one healthy habit, such as drinking water or milk instead of soda at dinner. Do that for a week or so. Then move on. Nothing earth shattering, but steps in the right direction.

Try blending the old with the new.
An easy way to introduce healthier foods is to mix them with what you used to eat. Mix some brown rice in with the white rice. Throw some whole wheat pasta in with the enriched pasta. Bake with half whole white wheat flour mixed with the white flour for a while. Over time, you can start weening your family off the old stuff and they won’t know what hit them.

Experiment.
There is a whole wonderful world out there when it comes to healthy foods. Salads can be much more than the wedge of iceberg lettuce dumped with a half bottle of ranch on it. Dive into new vegetables, search the internet for delicious ways to prepare them for your family. Try new grains like quinoa, bulgur, and barley instead of always white rice. Try going meatless one day a week and discover the lovely land of legumes. Without sugar everywhere, fruits become sweeter and more of a dessert than ever before. Really, take it from a true convert:  it can be a very creative and enjoyable process.

Persevere!
I read somewhere once that kids needed to be introduced to a new food nearly 21 times before they would consider even tasting. Hello?!? If moms have anything it is staying power.  I say in this department STICK TO YOUR GUNS

You may be saying to yourself right now, “There is no way my kids/husband is going to eat this way.” Well, you are right. They will never eat healthily unless you as the mom, a.k.a. Food Police, make an effort to serve it to them and teach them these healthy habits.  Eating healthy foods just doesn't happen, it is taught.  With a commitment to a healthier kitchen you will create a healthier family. In the end, that's is what we all want.

Oh -- and I’m happy to report a dozen years later - minus olives and onions -  the Doc is 100% on board with the whole healthy eating/ healthy living thing.  He just called me and we doing a Friday night Salad Run for dinner.

Cha-ching!

Hey Fit Mommas, how have you helped your family eat healthier fare?  Comment below and tell us WHAT WORKS!

Thanks for the questions and emails, my friends!  I don't decorate cute cupcakes or make sassy aprons -- this is what I do!  Email me with any questions or feedback here.

Related Posts:
Who's the Parent?  Nutrition and Our Kids
Success One Inch at a Time
From Exercise Hater to Personal Trainer
More Fit Momma Question Posts

Like this?  Want more?  Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here.  Thanks!

11 comments:

Amy said...

I've always bought fairly healthy foods for my family. But the weak, busy, overwhelmed mother in me was buying hot dogs at one time. My son, who was probably 4 at the time would eat them daily! Finally, when he literally wouldn't eat anything else, I stopped buying them cold turkey. He whined and cried, and begged, but after a week or two, I never heard about hot dogs from him again... and it's been three years now.

Vennesa said...

Ours has been gradual. The kids have had to change because I've changed what I'll make and what I'll buy. I've brain washed my younger ones about healthy eating. Still trying with the older ones. My 7yo wants to eat healthy because she wants to be strong and fast. (She does gymnastics and soccer.)
A great idea that works for us is the Healthy Habits Plate. It will give them an idea of what a healthy plate should look like. (1/2 veggies & fruits, 1/4 protein, 1/4 grains.)
You can get them at www.superhealthykids.com

Trainer Momma said...

I'm loving that site you passed on, Vanessa. Amy knows her stuff ...

Oh, she's here! Hi, Amy! Welcome to TM! Your site and plate are great!

Genevieve said...

LOVE THIS!! Our CSA has been such a cool experience.
Relying on the produce and other goodies to make our weekly meals. It's our first season--I love all the chemical free produce, eggs, stoneground grits, honey, etc. I love planning healthy meals around the week's share. The kids like to help out too.

cforet said...

TM, I love this article. You are that friend that I can talk to and it feels like yesterday. I have been walking for 30 minutes every day since we spoke and I love it. I got the entire family to go for a walk this morning with our dog and Aubrey was not too enthused until I challenged her to a skipping race. Talk about a great workout. We laughed while catching our breath. I'm adding skipping into my morning routine :) I am so thankful for our talk and all your knowledge in the health and nutrtion field. I am a huge fan and forever your friend. Love Charlotte!

Trainer Momma said...

Char -- you've done it! A walk every day is the perfect starting point. I was thrilled to chat with you, and just as happy to hear you did what you told yourself you would do. Skipping is quite a good workout... I actually have a track workout I do with skipping in it! Hhhmmm - - that sounds like a post idea to me :) Thanks for brightening my week with your voice!

Delightful Domestic Science said...

What a great post! I love your upbeat, never say die attitude Mandi!
x
H

Trainer Momma said...

And Holly -- I love that you are from Australia! I think I should do a new TM feature: Eat With Me: In Australia! Every week I could travel to a new place on the globe. I could just write it off as a business expense, right? I've never been there -- but sure hope to change that someday.

lbb said...

Fantastic post, TM.
So it's funny how much emotion I put into feeding my family. I have 3 boys and I want them to eat healthy, but also to have warm memories of their mom and kitchen and goodies and treats. So I always bake and make what they like...not always good for you.

BUT..of course my plate is different. I eat healthy, but don't expect them to have to. It's so hard to fight that battle, esp. with husband.

Thanks for the inspiration. It's amazing the power I have. And scary, really. If it's not even in the cupboards, it can't be eaten, right!?

But of is dinner time ever tough with a 6, 4, 1 year old who don't like anything green!

I'll keep at it..."stick to my guns"! Thanks for the reminder...

Tiffany said...

I totally agree with making small changes instead of one big change. If you change everything at once you and everyone else will hate it.

My two year old can be a picky eater somedays and other days she shocks me with how healthy she will eat. My rule is you have to try it - one bite. Last night she did not want to eat her dinner,threw a fit at one point, had a time out and then came out and said she wanted a peach. I know a peach is healthy but she did not eat any steak, sweet potate or tomoatoe or cucumber salad that was on her plate. I made her take three small bites of her dinner - anything she wanted and then she could have a peach - which she ate the whole thing.

Kate said...

new to your blog and happy to be reading it!

Hmm . . . let's see . . . my hubby and I have been married for 3 1/2 years an we have a 6 mos. old son. We've always kept pop, chips, and cookies out of the house, but were still splurging on processed foods, pastas, sausage (he's italian), etc. Then when we found out we were PG he committed to working out and has since dropped 60 lbs. We read a LOT about processed foods, where our food comes from, food industry regulations, etc., so we really try to buy organic when available. (If you've never seen Food Inc., I highly recommend it!) It means getting creative sometimes, but we're really happy w/ the organic selection that Peapod carries. I'm glad we got a head start on the healthy lifestyle before baby arrived so that we don't have to invest a lot of time in rerouting bad habits, rather creating good habits and healthy living ideas from the start. I'm breastfeeding him now so that helps me stay on track - I know that whatever I eat gets filtered down and ends up going to him so I really try to eat clean for his and my benefit.

Related Posts with Thumbnails