First thing's first:
Enter the Trainer Momma August Giveaway.
Target Gift Cards for $50!
Two winners.
Ends Monday.
Fit Mom Holly emailed me this great question:
I was wondering what your take was on fat burning supplements? You know the ones that suppress your appetite and energize you?
When I first started working out a dozen years ago, I worshipped my trainer. He was my fitness Sensei and I hung onto his every word.
Everything he said I did:
Drink more water.
Done.
Cut out refined sugars and flours.
Done.
Eat five times a day.
Done.
Lift weights three times a week.
Done.
Do cardio 5-6 times a week.
Done.
Buy and use a bunch of our supplements.
Do---WHOA.
That's when I put on the breaks. I was obedient, yes, but I also was raised in a very traditional household who went to M.D.'s and I am married to an M.D. So, I had to step back and look critically at that suggestion.
The result? I never bought or used one supplement from them.
Why? I discovered they had a contract with a supplement company and they got kickbacks for pushing their products. This didn't diminish my respect for them as trainers, but did introduce me to the shady, confusing relationship between fitness and supplements. Open any muscle building magazine and you'll see page after page of supplement and pill ads. Yep, it drives me bonkers too.
About the fat burning supplements -- this is an easy one: NOT a fan.
We have the tools we need to burn fat:
weight lifting and cardio.
We have the appetite suppressants we need:
water, protein and fiber.
It cracks me up when I read the fine print for weight loss supplements: "For best results, take along with regular exercise and a sensible diet". Yeah, no kidding. When you do these two things you can go ahead and throw those pills down the toilet.
In general, I am not a big supplement supporter and feel it is an multi-million dollar, unregulated industry with great marketing and a whole lot of snake oil. Yes, a fat burning supplement may make you feel less hungry and energized, however studies have proven that a lot of that is the placebo effect. I believe for the average female like us (not that we are average, but hey. We aren't Olympians if you know what I mean), they are definitely not necessary.
OK, now that I've made the long climb down from my soap box, I will admit I DO take a few supplements (when I remember) that I feel have been proven by solid research to have beneficial results and are recommended by doctors:
Multivitamin
Most multivitamins are good enough. Frankly, I have not done enough research into this topic and am interested in doing more. I basically just get the ones from Costco and call it good for now (the Doc keeps assuring me this is fine).
Protein Powder
I use this because it is a convient, fast way to get more protein in my diet, build muscle, and mostly it keeps me fuller longer. I use EAS because it is at Costco. A future post will address what to look for in a protein powder.
Fish Oil Pills
Give me the good fats and omega-3's my body needs. Great for having a healthy heart.
A few I am considering:
Vitamin D
This supplement has been generating a lot of buzz in the past few years. I have not taken the plunge yet since I feel like I am outside a lot and getting my dose from the bright Texas sun. However, when more solid recommendations are given (right now doctors recommend 400 mg, however they are debating upping it to 1,000-2,000 mg per day), I really think I'll jump on board.
Calcium
Osteroperosis runs in my husband's family and I've seen first hand the devastating effects of it. At some point and after more research, I may consider it.
As usual with these types of things, I am a moderationist (I made that word up).
There actually has been a lot of press this week about supplements from Consumer Reports. Check it out here. They broke it down to 12 supplement ingredients to avoid and 11 supplements to consider. Interesting reading.
How about you, Fit Mommas? What is your take on supplements? Have you felt pressure to buy them? What do you think? Share your comments below and tell us WHAT WORKS for you.
I love questions... Keep them coming my way!
Find more Fit Momma questions and answers here.
Like this? Want more? Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here. Thanks!


10 comments:
Just wanna throw this in with everything you already said...fish oil has a TON of benefits, among them is appetite suppressant. I can tell a huge difference from when I take them and when I don't. I switched from the "hard stuff" like Hydroxy Cut to vitamins like the fish oil, multi vits, and vit B complex. I feel a lot better now than I did with the Hydroxy Cut type products.
Thanks for another helpful and informative post! I have to admit I have a bottle of Hydroxycut in my cupboard but it's just sitting there untouched except for the first couple of days I tried it. Made me feel so sick. There are no quick fixes, just exactly what you advocate!
Since menopausing I have been taking (daily) fish and flax seed oil (1000 mg), calcium and Vitamin D plus a multiple vitamin. I'm also taking Glucosamine & Chondroitin. Like you I use protein powder to get enough protein daily.
Hopefully all these supplements are doing some good otherwise all I'm producing is very expensive urine.
I 100% agree with you. I take a prenatal (it seems I'm always either nursing or pregnant plus its almost the same as a regular multivitamin), a calcium (osteoporosis big time in my family) and use protein powder. I did take fish oil while pregnant and I don't know why I didn't think to keep taking it. I might start that up again.
I just had to jump in to say that I just recently came across your blog and I LOVE it! You have such useful information; thank you, thank you!
I look forward to your post on the protein powder. I have been using it for quite awhile, but am always a little confused about the differences between them.
My sister fitncrafty sent me your link. I've enjoyed your pool work out and videos. After watching your videos I realized I wasn't targeting my delts and incorporated dumbell presses into my workouts.
As a physician I certainly understand the conflict of interest of selling vitamins and supplements. At the current time, I don't make money off of any, but if I find one I am really like, I might become an associate.
As for me, this is what I take:
Multivitamin
Currently Vitamineral Green,
Living B12 Complex,
B12 shots
I tested my vitamins through spectracell.com and know what I am low in and know exactly what to replace. I will retest after 6 months of supplement.
Protein Powder
I use several powders including Hemp and Sunwarrior in my green smoothies. I usually mix up a few things in one smoothie.
Fish Oil Pills
I use hemp, chia, flax and a few other vegan sources of omegas. I am not that big on fish oil for myself.
Vitamin D and Calcium
My D3 and Calcium were more than adequate. I am not intentionally taking a D3 supplement. I getlots of exercise and sunshine.
Thanks for all the great info,
Denise @
permissiontomother.com
rawontheriver.blogspot.com
Thanks for a great reminder of the basics it takes to stay fit and healthy! There really aren't any shortcuts or magic pills, just daily focus and discipline, staying the course, doing what works! A great reminder for me, thanks.
Ive never wanted to try the supplements that you find in magazines like US Weekly--HELLO!
I do however use Nuriche every.single.day. I get my 30 fruits, 30 vegetables, 11 seeds & nuts--every.single.day.
The University of Utah has actually tested our Nuriche out and is coming back with remarkable findings showing that the compounds & enzymes in Nuriche are the SAME NUMBER of compounds & enzymes in fruits & veggies. Pretty cool for Nuriche!
When you feed your body what nature intended--it doesnt need extra supplements or vitamins.
It's helped me drop my 20 LAST POUNDS, 20 inches and my body fast % is down to 24%-BUT like you said it INCLUDES working out!
I'm looking forward to your post on protein powder. I'd like to start using it in my oatmeal, but I am reluctant to spend $30.00 on something that may not be a good product. I wish they had trial sizes! Thanks for your posts! Debra
I am planning on posting on that very subject soon (hopefully this week). I use one scoop EAS Premium Protein from Costco.
More to come, Debra!
Post a Comment