A few summers ago after swim team was over, some parents from the neighborhood got together and

We met for one hour, three days a week for one month. It was totally cheap -- $25 for the month. It was not your typical swim team workout, but more out-of-the-box workout to accommodate non-swimmers and to mix it up for the hard core swimmers.
It is heaven.
It provided me with:
- an extra workout (Yippee! Just load it on!)
- time to spend with my kids
- an opportunity for the kids to see their mom huffin' it big time
- time outside (what else are we going to do in 100+ degree weather all summer?)
- chats with other adults in the neighborhood
This summer’s Swim Fit was particularly sweet because I
While Coach Patrick lounged in the comfort of his dry, shaded deck chair he threw out the commands:
Swim!
Jog!
Kickboard drills!
Tarzan swim!
Doggy paddle!
Shoes on!
Ab work!
Dry land squats!
Push ups!
Butterfly kick with breaststroke arms!
Nothing was off limits.
Our workouts resembled a lot what you saw here. Some days were more nuts than others. And we loooooved to moan and groan about it while Patrick just smiled and calmly said, "Do it again."

The finale to Swim Fit was a “Healthy Food Party”. All the kids brought something they thought was healthy. Most everyone “got it” -- however we did have a Costco size box of Bear Claws and Apple Danishes show up (the mom thought it was healthy because it had fruit in it). I spoke briefly to the kids about nutrition: what it is, what it isn’t and what they actually should eat during a day.
It was a marvelous experience and one I hated to see end. I couldn’t help but think, however, that all this came about because parents made it happen.
Just think what else we can pull off if we put our minds to it!
Like this? Want more? Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here. Thanks!


2 comments:
I love that you had a healthy food party. I'm gonna do that for the next play date I host. Thanks!
Dang, that sounds awesome. That's super cheap for how fun it sounds! And I love the healthy food party but the bear claws! Sigh...
Post a Comment