Whenever I run, it feels good........ but then I get a headache. Any ideas?
First of all, is this happening all year long? I have been reading more about headaches lately and it turns out that during the hot months you are more likely to have headaches due to the heat. I've too have noticed when I go for long rides. I will battle more headaches and fatigue during the summer than during the winter. The heat dilates the blood vessels in the brain which causes headaches.
Some common sense ideas are:
Try to run or workout when you are not in full sun.
Wear sunglasses.
Wear a hat.
Stay hydrated! Before, during, and after be chugging that water.
Also, I suggest taking Tylenol or ibprofen at the first symptom of a headache -- not when it is already full force. Also, if possible, try to lay down and rest with the kiddos.
There is no one fix for this -- just treating symptoms. Some of us are more prone to headaches than others. It seems like during the summer I'm popping Tylenol all the time.
Find past Fit Momma Questions and answers here.
Like this? Want more? Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here. Thanks!


7 comments:
I nominated you for "The Virsatile Blogger" award...go to my blog to get the info!
I use to drink 1 gallon of H2O a day, but then I found that Fast Sundays were terrible and I felt so sick because I couldn't have H2O until the evening. Any suggestions?
Ooo -- That's frustrating. I personally just load up on plenty of water and enough food before my fast starts. When I fast I find myself a little slower for sure -- an after Church nap is always on the adgenda those days. I wouldn't let that stop you from drinking enough water the other 30 days of the month, though. You don't want to be feeling sick other days as well due to lack of water.
In my opinion only, I think if it is fast Sunday and you find yourself really sick, why then have a glass of water for heaven's sake!
I second the glass of water on fast Sundays. I have horrible chronic headaches, and I let myself have a big 24 oz cup of water in the morning. It's the only way I get through the day without feeling like my head will explode!
I am interested in any info anyone comes across about headaches and exercising. Any intense cardio routine gives me the worst headaches, sometimes a full-blown migraine. I drink at least 2 quarts of water and take 2 Advil 20 minutes before I start a workout, but it rarely helps.
Natalie,
From what I've read about exercise enduced headaches -- it could be because of the dialation of the blood vessels (just like with the heat).
I found some websites about it -- their advice is pretty much common sense:
http://www.webmd.com/migraines-headaches/guide/triggers-exercise
http://www.relieve-migraine-headache.com/exercise-induced-headache.html
Sounds like some people are more prone to them than others. Well, that stinks, doesn't it?
I do recommend seeing a doctor for assistance. Particularly for those who have never had a splitting headche before then are plagued with one or several all of a sudden. It is VERY wise to get it checked out.
I have been to the doctor several times for the headaches, and they have diagnosed me with cluster headaches and migraines. Oddly, migraine medication doesn't work for me at all, and I have tried many different kinds. I haven't lost an ounce on the rotation I posted on the other blog, so I was thinking of doing the full 60 days of Insanity. The headaches are what scare me more than the workout!
You're so motivating...I can't wait until I'm done with this pregnancy so that I can visit your blog without becoming depressed! I don't do pregnancy well...lots of nausea and throwing up and then contractions for months and months...so food and working out are a huge battle right now. Your comment on my blog a while ago made my day!! I have 2 more months then will become a regular again...I love all the recipes and fresh Ideas...you are such a riot! thanks for all the time you spend on this blog I LOVE IT.
Post a Comment