- I am a stay-at-home mom who doesn't like being at home all the time. I get cabin fever.
- My kids just trash the house when we are home all day. We might as well leave and give the house a chance.
- My kids get along better when we are active and out.
- It is so stinking hot outside, we've got to swim at least once a day if not more.
- This is how my mom did it. I'm a clone of her, I swear.
Each day brings another outing and another reason to pack up snacks since we won't be back until the next meal. Now, ideally, I prefer baking my healthy cookies, muffins, and breads for my kids and still do that regularly. However, recently convenience has been trumping my best of intentions and I've found I find myself throwing a few boxes and bags of pre-packaged snacks in my cart each week when I shop.
Here are my highly scientific (not really) requirements:
It needs to be pretty nutritious. On a scale of 1 - 10 it should be at least a 6 or higher.
Low in sugar.
Has some sort of fiber.
No high fructose corn syrup.
Very low or no saturated fats.
This is very important: it has got to survive the backpack! Most of the time, I have a "Mom Backpack" on my back where all the snacks safely are stored. When I take out the baggie of _____________(fill the blank), it can't be crumbs or smooshy (their word). My kids won't have anything to do with that.
The snacks have to be able to survive without needing to be cool. On long, day trips I will bring an ice chest or something similar, however for the hours at the pool, that typically doesn't happen.
I'm feeding a lot of kids. Most of them need to like what I bring.
Now before you read on, I realize that we won't agree 100% about what is nutritious or not. For our family, this is where we are right now. It is way better from where we were (fruit snacks, crackers, granola bars) and much better from where we could be (Cheetos, donuts, candy, etc.).
So, what am I throwing in the cart? It is definitely not complete and not 100% awesome-- but good enough:
Fresh stuff is always the first thing packed:
apples
oranges
grapes (if we aren't gone too long, I don't need to keep them cold)
dried fruit
Kashi Cereal Bars (This brand has no HFCS. Yes, Nutri-Grain bars have HFCS and are high in sugar.)
Kashi crackers (I love the higher fiber and no HFCS in their foods)
Pretzels (not a 10 on the nutrition scale, I know)
Flavored rice cakes
MultiGrain Cheerios (in a bag, no milk required :)
Pirate's Booty (our version of Cheetos)
Applesauce, unsweetened (that's IF I remember the spoons)
Another homerun snack not pictured: Clif Z Bars
And as for drinks:
WATER.
Period.
Nope, no fruit juice, no Caprisun, no Sunni-D, no Gatorade, or sugar water.
So, there you have it. The good, the bad, and the ugly. Sure, it would be great if my kids were eating ultra healthy snacks like raw asparagus with smoked salmon on rye bread and quinoa for dessert -- but that ain't happening 'round these parts. We're just a bit too typical for that.
What about you, Fit Mommas? What on-the-go snacks that lean towards the healthy side do your kids love? Or tolerate? Comment below and tell us WHAT WORKS!
Like this? Want more? Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here. Thanks!



9 comments:
Oh how I just ADORE Pirate Booty!
Delighted to see if ranks as SOMEWHAT healthy!
We love the salt and vinegar Pirate Booty!
And the veggie!
I love the looks of all of your snacks!
Your kiddos are lucky to have such a healthy mommy!
xo
Happy POOL Days!
I order GoGo Squeez applesauce from Amazon--no spoons required. It's applesauce in a juice pouch. We also enjoy "Mickey apples"--Brother's All Natural fruit crisps.
oh come on....can't you pack the salmon and raw asparagus along with those grapes;) hardy har har
great snack ideas! my son just licks the applesauce from the container....so civilized! we have also used straws to 'drink' it (works as long as it isn't the chunky kind)...but then you would have to remember straws!
Mary Kate
Fruit, pretzels, gold fish & Cliff Z Bars (like you mentioned). Have you tried Funky Monkey Snacks or Go Picnic Meals? A little pricey but super tasty. You can find them at Amazon ->
Funky Monkey: http://amzn.to/bJgFqI
Go Picnic: http://amzn.to/bBc6Hw
We love Trader Joe's dried apple balls and organic fruit leathers. We also will take some trail mix or almonds along. Sometimes I'll throw in a small insulated lunch bag and ice pack for string cheese and cold water.
I haven't tried the Kashi cereal bars yet - I love their other stuff though.
I love fruit leather for the kids -- however finding some I can afford is really hit and miss here in TX. No Trader Joe's round these parts. It's a crying shame, I tell you!
I've been baking batches of your healthy banana bread! I slice up a hunk and throw it in the pool bag with whatever fresh stuff is in the house - apple slices, grapes, orange slices, baby carrots, etc. My kids LOVE it. In fact, we all do :-) I'm also going to use it as a guideline to modify my pumpkin bread recipe, so we can feel good about eating that, too. Thanks!
Have you tried spelt pretzels? Newmans Own and VitaSpelt are the brands I have found. My girls love to eat them with Laughing Cow Cheese. Costco always seems to have fruit leathers...
I have been searching for spelt pretzels and our grocery store doesn't carry them. Ggrr! I should put in a request. And, those fruit leathers have been gone from our Costco for about a year. My poor boys are dying! Those are two great suggestions...
Post a Comment