My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, July 12, 2010

A Silent Conversation

THIS IS IT, GIRL:
The final hours of the 
Trainer Momma 
Amazona Gift Card
GIVEAWAY!
There will be 4 lucky winners this month --
Spread the word!

Recently on one of my Saturday morning runs ("run" is a stretch -- the term "jog" would definitely be more accurate) I stayed in my neighborhood and ran the 1-mile loop several times. This is very unusual for me, since I have an aversion to running in circles. It too closely resembles my life and chasing my young children around. I prefer running away. Yes, it is symbolic for me. And it is symbolic that I choose to turn around and come home. So far... :)

But, enough of the Pysch 101 and onto the rest of the story...

This particular day I did run the loop since it was going to rain. In fact. it did rain. I needed to be close to home just in case I needed to head for cover if a gorgeous Texas downpour snuck up on me unexpectedly.

On my first loop, I came across another gal running the circle in the opposite direction. I shamelessly stared right at her. I have this thing that I picked up in college -- I refuse to ignore people. Let’s not pretend that we don’t see each other. That’s just odd. I will acknowledge you with a smile and eye contact and you return the favor. I have found if I stare long enough, I can catch their eye and maybe we’ll share a human moment. As you can tell, it has become somewhat of an amusing game for me all these years later (I’m not creepy, I promise).

Sure enough, she was staring hard at the ground as she was running; ignoring me more than a passenger sitting all by themselves in an aisle of a crowded Southwest flight. But, finally, there it was -- the flicker of the eyes. I flashed a smile, and she raised her eyebrows a bit surprised and ran past. GOTCHA!

Round two. There she was again. This time she was warming up to me and her focus not nearly as evasive. I gave her another smile, the “runners wave” (which just is a solid lift of the hand--no waving BTW) and she smiled back.

Round three. It had started raining. Really raining. I loved it. I actually really enjoy running in the rain since I grew up in the desert and was completely precipitation deprived until we moved to Texas several years ago. By this time, we had each been jogging for at least 40 minutes and were feeling strong. As we were passing each other, we gave each other a warm, familiar smile -- but this time it was filled with much more than courteous acknowledgement. Behind our smiles, our eyes communicated this:

We get it.
We are so lucky to move.
We are so blessed to run in the rain.
Waking up at 6:00 AM on a Saturday morning is SO worth this.
You could not pay me to still be laying in bed and miss THIS moment.
Now that I’ve experienced this -- the run, the rain, the workout -- I can handle anything this weekend.
This is living.

Sweaty

I didn’t see her again after that brief silent dialogue we shared -- but I knew that she knew how I feel about my love affair with exercise, since she felt it too.

No, I have not always felt this way about exercise nor  do I do a grand jete out of bed each morning as I anticipate my workouts.  However, during the course of the workout -- I morph into a happy, awake, alive woman, wife, and mother. Ready to start my day.

 And afterward, you just might catch me doing a tour jete or two :)

How about you, Fit Mommas?  Have you developed a positive relationship with exercise and healthy living?  Has it been a process?  Comment below and let us know!


Like this?  Want more?  Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here.  Thanks!

5 comments:

Eileen Blakey-Judd said...

Haha you already know my answer, it's a process. But I'm beginning to love it the more I challenge myself, and let myself disappear into when I exercise.

Beth said...

I really love this post. Mostly b/c I, like you, didn't enjoy exercise for so long and then found pilates and it changed my life. I do cardio, too, but something about pilates at 6am before my kids are up, when it's still a little dark out, the balance of meditation and building strength, feeling kick-butt. I love it. I love your silent conversation. I feel like I have that in my head a lot of mornings when I choose exercise over sleeping in.

the Villamor's said...

i get it too...that is exactly how I feel. I had a friend who would allow me to tag along on her runs and we met every Saturday no matter how early we had to get up...because we both shared the passion for exercise that many people just.don't.understand! Before we went to the Philippines last year our last run was in the rain. Since I had just washed my tennis shoes for the trip I put on her old running shoes which dug large blister in my heel...but it was so worth it! I was so anxious about the trip and not knowing how I would be able to exercise in a foreign country!

I have always enjoyed movement and although in my teens and 20's exercise was motivated mainly by my disordered eating cycles I have never stopped exercising...just have a healthy relationship with it now.

i am such an exercise nerd! i get excited when I hear my workout music start. :) heading to teach my class now!!

Quix said...

During the nice months when I can go running after work, I frequent a route that is very well trodden by other runners, walkers, and bikers. I always smile and nod, mostly because I want people to see that I am ENJOYING my run! So many people just look miserable running...

My favorite moment was running past two guys also running who gave me a high five. Never seen them before or again but I dunno, just awesome!

Jilly Bean said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Related Posts with Thumbnails