My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The FEELING

When the alarm rudely blares at me at 5:30 A.M., I am not hopping out of bed thrilled to work out. I think of how ridiculously late I went to bed the night before. I think of my six-year-old's perpetual cough that woke me several times. I think of the handful of times I thought the two-year-old was crying. I think of how many times my dog Buddy woke me up with his 2:00 A.M. “I have to chase that opossum now” escapade. I think of how the Doc's snores wouldn't let me go back to sleep. I think of how stinkin' hot I got because I just wouldn't get out of bed and flip on the fan. I think of how I won’t have time to squeeze in a nap in my packed to the brim day. I think of how nice it would be to get some more shut eye to face the demands of yet another day.

But then I think of THE FEELING.

Hhhmm. How do I describe this FEELING since I decided that exercise and good nutrition were taking up a permanent residence in my life? Not in one word, but pieces of many:

Exhilarating.
Validating.
Peaceful.
Hopeful.
Cheerful.
Strong.
Whole.
Joyful.
Happy.
Power.
Control.
Patient.
Alive.
Energy.
Full.
Complete.

I’m sure it’s the endorphins flooding my body and brain. Whatever chemical or hormone it is, I’ll take it. And often. When, I start a workout I’m tired, stressed and wonder if maybe I should pass for the day. This thought crosses my mind nearly with every workout. You'd think I'd be over that by now. Nope.

But then I realize the only other option is to NOT feel the FEELING, and quite simply: that is not acceptable to me.

I’ve gone soooo many days in previous life determined that I was going to workout and eat right, and then failed and failed again – Those choices brought on other feelings:

Stressed.
Down.
Hopeless.
Grouchy.
Mean.
Discouraged.
Fat.
Irritated.
Annoyed.
Unsatisfied.

So, as I’m laying there in my warm bed and brand new, soft sheets, I weigh my options:

What do I want to feel today?

It’s a no brainer.

I roll out of bed, throw the workout clothes on, then get to work.


Fit Mommas, what words do you use to describe the FEELING you get when you have a great workout or eat right? When you keep your commitment to yourself?


14 comments:

the Villamor's said...

i feel all of those and at peace and accomplished and fit and healthy! And even if I can't get a nap in and I only had 4 hours of sleep....the fatigue i feel later on was still WORTH it! I would rather feel sluggish at 4pm then feel discouraged and upset and frustrated that I became a victim to the "cover monsters".

And I feel sluggish at 4pm even when I get 8 hours of sleep! so take that nice warm bed....working out is the best option all the way around!

Mary Kate

Anonymous said...

Queen. A ninja rockstar superhero queen! I hope I'm always able to use my body like this.

the mrs. said...

Grateful, strong, & in control

Vennesa said...

Fulfilled, strong, and in control of my life.

Anonymous said...

depends what i do. a moderate work out lifts my mood. a hard work out makes me grumpy...really grumpy. when i eat right I always feel better - my stomach stays flat too.

Emily said...

accomplished! Days I don't go run or hit they gym I feel like a total failure! after my work out I cant explain how wonderful I feel!

RN Mama said...

I feel accomplished, and I feel like I'm setting a good example for my daughter's!

I was right there with you this morning though... I wanted to call my husband at work and fake an illness so he could shuttle my kids around and I could go back to bed! But, then I remembered my new heart rate monitor that was going to get it's first use today...and it was off to the gym!

The Ball Babies said...

Happy, Fit, Strong, Empowered, Clear-thinking, Nice, Refreshed, Ready.

I feel those feelings AFTER I get to the gym, because usually on the way I'm feeling a little sorry for myself since there are no other cars on the road at 4:50 AM. I feel a little like crying since I'm sooooo tired, but I shove it all to the back of my brain and talk to myself instead of listening to myself. After all, this is part of my day, just like breathing! And it feels sooooo good to be fit and active!!!

Loewen Behold said...

Peaceful and content, but more than that even. I describe it as the thread of consistency that carries me through my life...

Great post!

Amy said...

I just wanted to say.... LOVE what you did with that picture! :) The B&W is perfect!

Trainer Momma said...

I must say -- I LOVE the person who took it! Thx Miss Amy! :)

Carley said...

I gotta say....some days I hate the workout from start to finish and resent the time it took away from my day. I do it because I know it is part of a process to get leaner, stronger, etc. But some days are not awe-inspiring..you just do it anyway.

Shawna said...

I feel strong on the inside and out! I feel that I accomplished something for myself and I'm ready to take on the day! It's so good to hear that I'm not the only who dreads getting up in the morning and thinks about what I should of done the night before that would have made the morning routine easier. Gotta love responsibility :)

Anonymous said...

I've gotten so that during the week I can't start my day right until I've worked out. On the days I go to the grocery store looking like crap after a hard workout, you know what? I don't care how I look because I feel so great & I know I gave it my all at the gym. On the days I don't really feel like working out and tell myself I'll just walk on the treadmill for a little bit once I get started I continue on for the entire workout & am thankful I did!! Thanks for your inspiration by the way.

Related Posts with Thumbnails