My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Have You Tried This? Triathlon

As you may know, a group of us did a sprint triathlon 10 days ago.  I've heard from several readers out there that they are prepping for their own triathlons.  I would not consider myself an expert by any means, but I have done several tris throughout the years.

The first triathlon I ever did was 8 years ago.  I had a three-month-old baby and wanted something to motivate me to get out of bed in the morning to workout.  As we drove into the parking lot the morning of the tri, I burst into tears.  I begged the Doc to take me home.  It had been a huge mistake to sign up for this: I was terrified, I was sure I was wearing the wrong clothes, people were going to pass me on the swim, what if my tire popped on the ride, I probably forgot something anyway, I didn't think I could even run three miles, I was going to get water in my goggles, I didn't have a good sports bra.  I just wanted to go home.  I was a complete mess.  The Doc refused.  He parked the car, gathered my gear, set up my bike, pried me out of the car, looked me in the eye and commanded that I do this triathlon. With my heart pounding out of my chest, I walked the walk of doom to the transition area.

I've done several sprint tris since that first one (which was a total blast by the way :).  Here's a few tricks I've learned along the way:

First of all, sign up for the right length for your triathlon.  Distances do vary, but here are some popular triathlon distances:

Sprint - 200 - 800 meter swim, 12-15 mile bike, 2-5 mile run (distances vary)
Olympic - 1 mile swim, 24 mile bike, 6.2 mile run
Ironman - 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run  We pulled off a sprint with style.

Night Before
Preparing the night before the triathlon is a must.  Click here for a basic list of what to bring to the race and ideas on what to eat that morning.


Pre-race
When you get to the race, you get to revert back to preschool and write with a magic marker on your skin!  It is very cool, by the way, to leave these numbers on for a few days and let people ask what they are.  Then you get nonchalantly answer, "Oh, those?  They're nothing.  I just did a triathlon today.  No biggie."  Then you walk away and they think you are awesome.  Try it :)

You also get your bike checked out to make sure your brakes work and tires are pumped.  I wish that guy lived in my garage and would check my bike and my kids' bikes every day.

Transition Area




The transition area is the designated area where you stash your stuff and go each time between each discipline.  Setting up your own space in the transition area is not rocket science, but it is nice to be slightly organized.


Swim:  
goggles, cap, towel

Bike:  
shoes, helmet, race number, sunglasses, water bottle (already in bike)

Run: 
shoes (if different than the bike), hat (optional)


Race Time
After all the training, anxiety, preparation, pre-race instructions -- it's finally time to rock and roll!


After that, it is all fun.  I promise!  Good luck to all you Fit Momma's out there doing your first or hundredth triathlon this season.  Let me know how it goes!

Like this?  Want more?  Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here.  Thanks!

12 comments:

Marie said...

These are awesome tips! Here's a few more I learned along the way:

If it's a big race (with lots of people) take a super bright something to set on your handle bars. It will make it so much easier to find your stuff when your done with the swim.

And if it looks like it might rain, don't lay out your running shoes:) Unless you have Vaseline to slather on your feet.

Oh- and for times when you can't have a sharpie number on your arm after a race, rubbing alcohol.

Kristi said...

I had no idea there were Sprint andf Olympic Tris! How awesome!!! Now... if they would just let me speed walk the running part, I would totally do one!

Trainer Momma said...

Kristi -- you ABSOLUTELY can walk the entire running portion. People do it all the time!

Tara said...

Thanks! I love these tips. I am preparing for my first sprint tri the summer, and I am really excited!

Magic Brush said...

This post totally makes me have a stomach ache cuz I want to do one so bad.........grrrrrr.......

Magic Brush said...

PS.... did you follow a training program to prepare?

the Villamor's said...

whaoo! We are doing our first on Saturday and then a longer one June 5(both Sprints though). I am super excited and nervous. Mainly worried about falling off my bike. I think I will put the regular peddles(sp?) back on the bike for my first....do you ride with your tennis shoes or bike shoes?

fitncrafty said...

Congrats on the tri! I wish I could find one with a pool swim. I would so do it!

I have to ask, What were you wearing on your feet on the bike portion? Where those Sandals? Do you use cages or clips?
Thanks!

Trainer Momma said...

I definitely recommend clipping in, however I have been do so for years, so it is hard for me to image not clipping. I've never had a fall due to that--other things, but not that :)

My shoes are riding sandals by Shimano and are about 8 years old. My husband got them for me since we lived in AZ and it was so blasted hot when I was riding. I wear them to spin class, on my bike, everything -- however I think I'm the only person on the planet wearing them since I've never seen anyone else with them. He just got them at our fav bike store in AZ years ago. They work for me. If I were to get MAJOR into biking -- I'd probably get something more aerodynamic, but these are just fine for me. Plus, I get to show people my cute toe nails (when they are painted). In the winter I just throw socks on and wear them.

Anonymous said...

TrainerMomma, I TOTALLY do the same thing with the body marking. It makes me feel super cool. ;-)

loverunningmommy said...

What training program did you follow before your first tri?I would love to do this but dont know where to start.Thanks!

Trainer Momma said...

My first tri I did the "make it up as I go" program. Recently used

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/

Go to Beginners and find Sprint Programs. They have all different lengths and focuses -- I highly recommend this site.

Related Posts with Thumbnails