My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Have You Tried This? Hooping

We went to the park the other day to sneak in a picnic with the Doc. As the kids ran recklessly to the playground, I turned the corner and suddenly I felt like I walked onto the stage of a Cirque De Soliel production.

 I came face to face with my first hooper. A hula hooper.


She walked, turned, and pivoted all the while keeping perfect control of her hoop. She was using both hands, one hand, arms, neck, chest, waist, hips, thighs, calves and ankles. I just stared, pretty much mesmerized by her movements. I had never seen hula hooping done so gracefully.

Now, if you were to ask me about hula hooping before this chance encounter I would have laughed and told you my version of hula hooping:

Revving up a dollar store hula hoop by twisting it around me as far as I can manage, then unwinding and throwing it wildly around my waist. My hips start frantically swinging back and forth, while the hoop barely makes a single revolution before it hits the pavement.

She did not resemble that in the slightest.

We had a 45-minute conversation and that’s a good thing because otherwise I would have had to rudely stare at her from across the park. As she gave me a peek into this new (old?) form of exercise she was hooping the entire time. I’m not kidding, she never stopped.

It turns out there’s a new hooping movement out there and apparently it is a great workout. The hoops are weighted and websites are boasting that hooping can burn between 400-600 calories per hour (of course, you know me, Mandi the skeptic. I’d have to #1 - learn to hoop, then #2 - actually do it for an hour with my HRM on before I believed this... Sorry, that’s just how I roll, or spin in this case :) It is a no impact exercise, and after a few hoops have taken out their loved ones in the learning process it is very lyrical and creative. They do it inside or outside, in a park or in studio with other hoopers.
Of course, my children were begging to try. I stayed behind the camera like a coward and as I write this am kicking myself for not giving the hoop a whirl. I at least need to give it a try.


Check out these websites for more info:



How about you? Are any of you Fit Momma’s hoopers?  What do you think?

 Like this?  Want more?  Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here.  Thanks!

7 comments:

fitncrafty said...

Check this out from the ACE website:
http://www.acefitness.org/article/2819/

If I had half an opportunity I would try it. Even our elementary school principal does it. She tried to get my to try, in the hallway at school, I too should have.. she had a good hoop.. Looks like fun!
Thanks for sharing!

Belly's Mama said...

I love my weighted hula hoop! It's a very easy exercise with awesome results. I've done yoga and pilates for years, but didn't achieve that super toned ab look until I bought my hoop.

Michelle said...

All I know is that there's a hula hoop-type game on the Wii Fit, and the day after I played it I was pretty sore. I didn't hardly feel it while playing though. It was fun!

{ Lana Cox } said...

Looks like fun!

Shelly McBurnett said...

Hello everyone! We have a hoop group here in San Antonio called THE HOT HOOPERS! We try and get together every other week or so. Please look us up on Facebook if you are interested!

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=113270251483

Shelly McBurnett said...

P.S. I also make and sell hoops here in San Antonio. Adult hoops are $30 and kiddo hoops are $15. They are each handmade by me with lots of love!

Please see my website: http://www.hothoopers.com

Leah, Hoop Instructor said...

You still have the opportunity! I'm an East Coast hooper and I'm sure you have hoopers all around you. It is NEVER too late! Find your hoop bliss!

Related Posts with Thumbnails