So, what is better: running for twenty minutes or walking for an hour? If they both burn the same amount of calories, does one trump the other?
This simple question is a complicated one. Ironically, the Doc and I had our first disagreement about this very topic when we were engaged nearly 15 years ago.
Remember where I was coming from: self-proclaimed exercise hater.
Remember where he was coming from: pre-med.
So, I was miserably trying to lose weight for our upcoming wedding and was doing a lot of walking. He suggested that I try running instead. I vigorously opposed that idea. I insisted that walking and running burned the same amount of calories and besides, running was so bad on the joints that I would never do that horrific act to my body. He was mortified at how ignorant his bride-to-be was. And mortified at how I stubbornly refused to listen to his logical explanation. He printed out a dozen articles and studies about how running burns more calories than walking. Of course he was right. Of course running 20 minutes burns more calories than walking 20 minutes. And of course I never ran. But, I did squeeze into my wedding dress, then promptly gained 50 + pounds that same year. Does that count for anything?
Anyway, I need to get back to the question: 20 minutes running or 60 minutes walking?
My initial response is in the form of a question: what are your fitness goals? Are you focusing only on weight loss? If they burn the same amount of calories (I’d have to check that one on the ole’ HRM, but I’m sure its close), then it’s a wash. We just can’t get around the huge “calories in vs. calories out” elephant in the room.
But, alas, although I talk a ton about weight loss on Trainer Momma, health is where my heart is. Skinny does not = healthy. So, I'm going to go a little deeper here.
The American Heart Association has recommended a minimum amount of exercise for basic heart health for adults ages 18-65:
30 minutes of moderate-intense exercise 5 days a week
or
20 minutes of intense exercise 3 days a week
That is just basic heart health. Minimum. The least amount. The bottom.
Do you want to lose weight? You’ve gotta do more than the minimum.
Do you want to become better conditioned and dare I say, “fit”? You’ve gotta do more than the minimum.
We know there is an endless list of the many benefits of exercise. It is only logical that the more you workout, the more you challenge that heart, the more benefits. Tada!
Yes, there does definitely come a point where more it too much and causes more harm than good, but for the majority of us and the rest of the U.S. population, it would do us all a world of good to work above the minimum.
Also, this question may stem from an issue with time. If you had a choice between the two, I’d say snag the hour long workout any day. But, use your time efficiently. If you aren’t able to jog for an hour, join the club (its crowded in here, but we’ll make room anyway!). So, jog for your 20 minutes, then walk the last 40. Or run/walk for the entire hour. Over time, you will become better conditioned and be able to jog longer.
Of course, if you only have the 20 minutes, then again, use your time effectively. Jog and add some sprints in. I have a really hard time leaving the HIIT alone, particularly with such a short workout. It will make your long runs so much stronger, your heart muscle will be strengthened, and then we will all live happily ever after! (Is it really that easy? I wish!)
I didn't get into the ole' joint issues associated with running, but will in a later post. Also, if you are really not a runner, these concepts still apply to you! Just substitute in whatever your favorite mode of exercise is. Have a great workout!
Like this? Want more? Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here. Thanks!


4 comments:
Mandi, I've been reading your blog for a long time now, and LOVE it. You're very inspiring and I love your food journal entries the very most. One day soon I hope I'll start imitating your eating habits. (I need to get over my cookie thing first.)
I just read a fantastic article on this topic on the Runner's World website. Running and walking a mile do not burn the same number of calories, and this explains the science pretty well. It makes me happy to know the miles that sometimes feel so hard are really paying off after all. And yes, there's always that time thing: Under 40 minutes is a lot nicer than 70-80 minutes for a good 4 mile effort.
http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-242-304-311-8402-0,00.html
Good luck in your tri tomorrow! Hope it's great!
I will definitely check that out! I think this gal was coming at it from 20 min. running vs. 1 hour walking, not necessarily comparing the same distances running vs. walking. I'm glad to read about the mile vs. mile comparison, however. The Doc would love that one! Totally a great resource and I appreciate your help!
Kerri - I just read the article. WOWWEE -- loved it! What a fantastic article! Thanks again for passing that along!
I love running and have often thought about this question concerning running vs. walking. Thank you for the clarification and encouragement to keep running, and consistently reinforcing the "calories in vs. calories out." Monitoring that is my current goals.
Post a Comment