My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Let's tackle the WHY...

I have had people tell me that they can't exercise because they hate to sweat, they have a bad back, they had foot surgery, it is too hot, they have too many kids, they have no time, and the list goes on! Well, friends, despite all of our obstacles, this fact remains:

We've been given these bodies and it up to us to care for them.

If we don't like to clean our house, we can hire house cleaners (I heart Betty and Edgar!:). If we hate to cook, we order out. Unlike other things, nobody can do this for us. The stats are too many to list as to why exercise is beneficial for us, but I'll list a few that I think are important to us as moms:
  • A healthy heart (My dad is recovering from a heart attack so this is on the top of my list.)
  • Healthier bones, joints, and muscles
  • We will live longer (Who wants to suffer through childbirth, raising the darn kids, then miss out on being a grandparent? Hello?!? That's the crowning reward for all of this!)
  • We will feel better during our longer life.
  • Improved ability to fall asleep and stay asleep (Essential for the rest of you momma's out there!)
  • Increased energy (I seriously need this to keep up with my 2 year old right now)
  • Better mental health
  • Handle stress better Again, something I need to deal with Johnny Scott)
  • We fit in our clothes better (Time to break out with all those dusty skinny clothes!)
  • There are more options for clothes when shopping (Even better, the skinny clothes are too big or are acid wash jeans from 8th grade--so it is time to go shopping! Oh yeah!)
  • Our confidence rises when we feel better about our body.
  • We set a good example of health for our children, husband and extended family members.
  • We can do more things with our families (swim, play soccer, hike, water ski, etc.)
  • Of course, all the heavy stuff--coronary heart disease, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, cancer, obesity, etc. --is MUCH less likely to occur.
  • After a while, heaven forbid, you just might start to like it.
When I was 23, teaching school, 50 pounds overweight I was totally miserable. I honestly thought being an adult equaled feeling crappy. When I first started to exercise I had heard that repeating a mantra over and over in your head could help you stay motivated. As I jogged (shuffled is more a more accurate description) around our neighborhood I repeated with every step: I HATE THIS. I HATE THIS. I HATE THIS. I didn't realize until after I lost the weight that WHOA! Life was fantastic and had so many more opportunities for me now that I felt better and actually had energy! Where to begin?!?

So, whatever you need to say or do to get yourself up off the couch, off of your computer chair, or out of bed and get moving -- the time is now. DO IT.

Frankly, I must add that a lot of my reasons for living healthily are selfish, but also there are many that are selfless. I am a mother now, I am responsible for the rest of my life for these three new people I brought into this world, and I want to be in TIP TOP shape physically, emotionally, and spiritually to handle this full time job I've accepted called motherhood. Why shouldn't my kids have a mom who feels good, has energy, likes to be adventurous with them? They deserve it. And so do yours.

Me and my personal fan club, my 7 year-old daughter Tressa,
at my triathlon last weekend.

1 comments:

shauna said...

Always, always good. Thanks!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails