NOTHING.
I was fixated on that one number down by my toes and became totally frustrated at its stubbornness to drop (it even had the nerve to go up some days!!). I marched my worn out Adidas back to my personal trainer and demanded he put me on some “plateau breaking” diet so that scale would get with the program and start getting a move on. He reluctantly agreed (don’t cross a woman and her scale, right?) and he handed me a 21-Day Plateau Breaking Diet plan. For three days I ate nothing but fruit (but NO bananas! Heaven forbid I eat a banana!) and water. After that I could add tomatoes. Then the weirdness continued on for three weeks. Easy, right? Ugh. Wrong. I only last 72 hours. Two out of the three days, I was laid flat with brain splitting migraine headaches and was irritable, grouchy and did not even attempt to workout. After miserably reporting back to Ben, he happily took me off of it, rubbed in some well deserved “I told you so”s, then we got back to work. The hard kind.
I do not subscribe idea of using popular “plateau breaking” or “cleansing” diets. My reasons are simple: they are not healthy. I know, I know... You may have tried one and actually did break that plateau. But at what cost? Any type of diet that is not a long term solution is not something I’m going to get behind. Nobody can subsist on just eating tomatoes 24/7 for the rest of their lives. Or eating only 500 calories a day. Our bodies need and thrive eating a variety of foods that provide them tons of nutrients and vitamins. I strongly urge my clients to avoid the drastic measures. Just go back to the basics -- and DO IT THIS TIME :)
Here are a few tricks to breaking the plateau the healthy way:
Stick with the schedule.
Eating on a schedule takes the stress out of eating. This is a habit that will serve you well throughout your life (read more about this here).
Here is my eating schedule:
Here is my eating schedule:
Breakfast - 8:00 AM
Mid-morning snack - 10:30 AM
Lunch - 1:00 PM
Mid-afternoon snack - 3:30 AM
Dinner - 6:00 PM
Late night snack (only if I have the calories to spare!) - 9:00 PM
Every thing that goes in your mouth has a “place”.
We throw a few handfuls of cereal in our mouth. We eat some left over bread crusts from the kiddos. We nosh on a few pretzels here and there. Pretty soon we’ve thrown in an extra 200-300 calories and we aren’t even “counting” them.
Before you eat something, ask yourself, “Is this part of a meal? Is this part of a snack” If not, put it down and go do something else for while.
Drink your agua.
Drinking a ton of water is the optimal appetite suppressant. Drink before, during, and after your meals and snacks. Drink before, during, and after your workouts. Drink water before, during, and after your errands. Drink water before, during, and after reading this post. Get the picture?
Soups and salads.
These two food options are your very best friends on an every day basis, not just for breaking through the plateau. The only way I’ve figured out how to eat all my required vegetables (five!) and fruits (four!) is by being sure to either have a salad or soup each day.
New “normal”.
I had a client that told me she was going to eat really good for a while just to get the weight off, then she could go back to eating “normal” again. That is called “yo-yo dieting” and we’ve been there, done that. This is a new “normal” and often that takes some adjusting to. There ain't no going back -- unless, of course, you'd like to go back up several dress sizes.
Watch the calories.
When you lose weight there is something that’s pretty sneaky that happens -- your body is smaller and needs less calories. Haha, tricked you! And to add salt to the wound, as we age we need less calories. Bwahahaha! Oh well, we might as well just accept it and work with it instead of against it. I like to view this as less work -- less food to buy, less food to prep, less food to eat, less food to clean up. See, it's not so bad, right?
Well, I'm still not done with this topic. So, more on "Breaking the Plateau" is on its way...
Find "The Scale Won't Budge: Breaking the Plateau Part 1" here.
Like this? Want more? Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here. Thanks!
Well, I'm still not done with this topic. So, more on "Breaking the Plateau" is on its way...
Find "The Scale Won't Budge: Breaking the Plateau Part 1" here.
Like this? Want more? Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here. Thanks!



15 comments:
i have a really great salad dressing recipe if youre in the mood for some mexican. 1/3 cup plain non fat yogurt, 2 T sour cream, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp of chili powder... its delish
Right on - love this post!
stuck on 155 for a year give or take a pound or 2 either way. Even with training for and running my half marathon. stupid scale.
I love your common sense. I have been struggling with a few extra pounds and I know it's the little bites here and there that have made my jeans tighter! You are right about those calories adding up before you even know it! Thanks for the motivation to stop "tasting" my kids' food, or grabbing a handful of cereal with the idea that it won't hurt my progress.
Thank you so much for your information! I have lost 75 pounds over the last (almost) two years and having a VERY hard time losing the last 15. GRRRR! I'm so happy to have someone validate my opinions on those "quick" solutions! I totally agree that anything unsustainable is NOT the answer! Bless you!!
OK, So "Brian" is my husband...I really am a Momma! :o)
Man, it's always the last of the lbs that are so hard to lose!
I have SOOOO learned that we humans needs VERY little food to function--i was SOOOOO overeating!
i have so many friends on that DUMB LAME HGC diet...i mean REALLY 500 calories?! what a joke. rude i know.
i know a girl who every 10 weeks UP's her protein intake for 2 weeks and then goes back to her regular eating for 10 weeks again (eating healthy of course) & that does the trick for her...
i just feel like i will FOREVER be stuck at 140--and i figure hey im 5'6.5...wearing a size 4...enuf with that stupid scale already!!!
But it's just so HARD! I agree with everything you said, and I understand it in my head completely. But my heart is a different story. And when I'm battling 10 million other things all day, the last thing I need is a blow to my psyche over a scale that won't budge! But alas, I trudge on.... tomorrow is a new day. Thanks for always being so darn positive!
Then there is the option of throwing the scale out the window and just going with how you feel. I went on a kayak trip once for a month - no mirrors, no scales, just me enjoying how it felt to be active in my body every day. It was so liberating and the best period of body image in my life - ever! Since then I try to focus on what my body can do and how I feel, and strangely, I am actually thinner than I was when I stepped on the scale every day.
Sounds like you are at a great place... Very healthy outlook! I'm not there -- I just hopped on the scale for the day.
love you; love the comments. Thank you, thank you.
And Christina-- I'm embarrassed to admit I've been tempted to do the HCG diet because NOTHING else is working. But I'm a runner and I know it doesn't really work for exercisers. I may be willing to eat only 500 calories a day but I'm not willing to give up my daily exercise. And I'd probably mess up my metabolism even more...
whew glad you didn't say the crazy cleanse was the thing. I've been at 132 and really wanting to shed some to see my abs forever. I think the only thing holding me back is those little snippets of food. I'm working on that now, but I feel hungry due to the marathon training, so I'm never sure if I'm really eating the right amount of calories. Most sites say I could eat like 2800 daily umm no, been there it won't work
I am soooo glad that you have talked about this. I have told many a friends this very thing and some thing I am crazy but it is TRUE!!!! Last summer, I had strep really bad so even drinking about killed me. I lost about 8 lbs pretty fast, but do you know, the second I started eating normal again, those pounds jumped right back on me. For every pound lost the wrong way, you can pretty much guarantee that it will come back on, and then some, every.single.time! Thanks for your awesome posts. I just wish more of my friends, followed your blog. I talk about you allll the time! I always say, "you know that trainermomma blog I follow?" They all know. Too bad more don't read! There are a few though! ;)
I think the greatest fallacies people have is focusing on what the scale says.
I don't own a scale and no intentions of ever getting one.
You know how i measure my progress? by looking in the mirror. it doesn't matter what you weigh as long as you are happy with how you look. remember, muscle weighs more than fat, so two people who both weigh the same can look drastically different if one's much more muscular than the other.
so my advice - THROW AWAY THE SCALE!
Post a Comment