My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://www.trainermomma.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, April 16, 2010

Fit Momma Question: Scale Won't Budge

Fit Momma Michelle asked this very good question:

What to do when you absolutely can't lose weight? When you've counted every calorie, ran and lifted and push-upped your heart out and the scale won't budge?



Stop looking at the scale.

As humans, we naturally use numbers to quantify our progress. What grade on the test did you get? How much money did you make? How many points did you score? How fast did you run? How long did the baby sleep? How much did you save? Numbers, numbers, numbers.

The number on the scale, however, is a very fickle friend. One morning you will be sharing BFF charms, then by afternoon it has betrayed you and is suddenly your archenemy. There are so many factors going into the number on the scale, some of which you control and some you don't: water, muscle, fat, bones, PMS, that extra helping of mashed potatoes from dinner last night.

Let’s get one thing straight, I am not a “throw the scale away” advocate. I believe in weighing yourself. I weigh myself weekly, often daily, and whenever I’m feeling it. I think it keeps us accountable, honest, and frankly, prevents me from eating the rest of the Strawberry Shortcake ice cream that is calling my name from the freezer as I write this. But, that said, I think we need to also put the scale in its proper place. It is just one of many things that can help you gauge your progress, and definitely not the only barometer you should use.

So, if that blasted scale is taking you on yet another emotional roller coaster, then take a break and date some other health indicators for a while:


Inches
Remember we talked about taking measurements? Have you done it yet? Well, break out with the measuring tape and have someone do that ahora! You could be toning up, losing inches, but you’ve been so obsessed with that stubborn needle on the scale, you haven’t even noticed.  There have been many spans of time when I have slowly been shaving off inches, but my scale has not budged. Heck, I don't care if I weigh as much as three elephants just as long as my measurements are where I want them to be.

Clothes
Are you getting any closer to the goal jeans? Can you still zip up your favorite skirt? Clothes are adept, honest indicators of your progress. If you notice that your shorts from last summer are a bit tighter than the last time you wore them, well, often it is not the dryer’s fault (my favorite scapegoat).  Thank you, Shorts, for the news flash and now its time to buckle down and get to work!

Endurance Level
Can you hang? What I mean is, when you first started your exercise program and you may have been huffin’ after 7 minutes. Now, can you run/swim/bike/zumba/elliptical/hike longer without throwing in the towel? If you’ve been at it for some time, your heart should be getting stronger, you should be more conditioned and able to push it harder and longer. THIS IS IMPORTANT!





Strength
Are you increasing in the amount of weight you are lifting? Over time, you should be able to increase your weights and repetitions. Being a strong woman is underrated.  There is nothing like being able to bring all of your grocery bags into the house in one trip, including the milk.  Or being strong enough to water ski.  Or holding your child down for his first haircut.  Or rearranging all the furniture in the living room by yourself.  Strength is vital and empowering.

Energy Level
After a good workout, do you have more to give your kids, husband, PTA, church, baseball team, and humanity in general? Exercise should make us feel ready to go! Adios, Viennese waltz; hello Cha Cha!





Sleep
Are you getting more shut eye? When you hit the sack, do you fall asleep faster and sleep more soundly?

Mental Clarity
Exercise is a very efficient housekeeper for the brain. It clears out the corners of your memory and helps you think quicker and faster. What am I talking about?  I’m pretty much leaving my purse on top of the car, forgetting to pick up my kids from Chess Club, and can't ever find my keys on a regular basis.  Truthfully, mental clarity has got to be counter balanced by the producing of offspring.  So, let's forget I ever mentioned this one.  It's a wash.

Moving on...

Overall feeling of well-being
Lastly, it feels good to do good. Don’t let the abstract number on the scale distract you from all positive you are feeding your body, mind, and soul.

There are so many additional ways we can acknowledge progress and high five ourselves other than a two pound loss for the week. They are equally, if not more so, important as that temperamental scale.

Hey, Fit Mommas, what do you think?  When the scale isn't moving, but you know things are a changing on that body of yours, how do you keep from getting discouraged?  Comment away!

**PS -- I know that this only answers half of Michelle’s question. There are some practical nuts and bolts we can go over when your weight has plateaued. That is enough juicy material for another post, however. How about next week? I look forward to it!

Like this?  Want more?  Subscribe to Trainer Momma's RSS feed by clicking here.  Thanks!

13 comments:

I am LoW said...

You have NO IDEA how much I needed this!

But still, I am very confused by my weight. However when I said my prayers the other morning and asked WHYWHYWHY I was told to have faith. :) So, I know I just need to keep on keeping on.

Kate said...

I wholeheartedly agree with the measurement thing. After making some eating/food changes and beginning to train for a 1/2 marathon, I noticed my clothes fitting differently (looser). The scale was a *few* pounds lower but when I took my measurements, they told the true story. With some serious exercise and eating changes, I managed to shave off about 9" total!

People are asking me all the time "How much weight HAVE you lost??" (and not always nicely) but it's not the scale that's telling the true story - it's the tale of the tape. :) And I'm not complaining.

kto1s said...

Ahhh...THIS is why you're my favorite blogger, ever. Perfect info to keep me motivated and reminding me that it's not all about the scale. You've listed more than enough reasons of why I just keep my fanny going!

Swimmymommy said...

Perfect- I needed that, thank you!

Genevieve said...

Thanks for the hyperlink to the measurements post.
You're right--the weight may not be flying off--but there are many factors and often measurements tell an important story.

Christina said...

TOTALLY AGREE!!! my scale has been STUCK on 1 frign 40 FOREVER....im down 16lbs but SHOCKINGLY down 23.5 inches--HELLLLOOOOOO

i have a friend at the gym, she is 5'9 and said she NEVER got below 140 but her inches just KEPT ON GOING DOWN--just like you said--i tell ppl all the time, its not about the scale its about THOSE INCHES!!

Anonymous said...

Bless you , thank you for answering my question. And many thanks to the previous commenters for making me feel less alone!

Crystal Star said...

That first photo could almost be you. Almost. I have to send you the photo my husband took of me yesterday. I'm nearly the same weight as I was 2 months ago so I figured I'd fit in my regular jeans but just a bit baggy- I was thrilled to find just how big those jeans are. I'll send it to you today.

Cher said...

Thank you as always! I wish I had taken my measurements a year ago when I was 20lbs. heavier! What a difference it would be now. When the scale numbers aren't my friend and I know I am doing everything right then I go with how I look (toned! Tight!), how my clothes fit, and try to not still think about the little jiggly bits that are left.

I also dropped my cholesterol 50 points by diet and exercise. That's a number I like!

xoxo

FireMom said...

Thank you. I've hit another plateau but put on a pair of pants this weekend that I could have turned around in! It's a weird process. I'll TRY to ignore the scale.

Trainer Momma said...

whoa, Crystal. I just got your pics -- you should do a commercial or something! Those are some seriously TOO BIG jeans!

Brye said...

I just recently started blogging and wanted you to know that I linked to this post. Great information Thanks.

Stacy of KSW said...

Thanks Mandi, I couldn't have read this at a better time. Like I mentioned, I have been stuck in a plateau for about 2 months now. I weigh myself daily (as a gauge) but do official weigh-ins and measure weekly. I only count my weight on the day of weigh in.

Even though the scale didnt move this week, I lost an inch in my thighs! We all know how hard that is. Still, I get discouraged because I can't make my pudge budge :)

Reading your post gave me something even better to think about, I do have better endurance, I am a more active mother and happier wife. My clothes look much better and today I went out in public sleeveless for the first time in years!!

Who cares what that darned scale says, I feel great

Related Posts with Thumbnails