Often, however, I don't have a recipe to go by. I just do the seek, chop, and throw method. Seek out what I've got in the fridge, chop it up, then throw it in the bowl. That means that any given time, I typically have some key ingredients to make a tasty salad. When I'm out of milk, I can last for a few days. No cereal? No problem. No spinach? Now, THAT'S a state of emergency. I drop everything and high tail it to the grocery store.
I have complied a general list of staples for the making of a great salad. This list is completely based on my tastes. In my opinion, a great salad has some/all of the following:
dark leafy greens
tons of vegetables
fruit
fruit
cheese
nuts
lean protein
great dressing
DARK, LEAFY GREENS
I start with a base of dark leafy greens. I prefer romaine lettuce and baby spinach. Other options are red leaf lettuce, arugula, swiss chard, mustard greens, etc. The greener the better. With this foundation alone there are Vitamins A, C, and K, folate and iron. Just be sure to steer clear the lettuce that is essentially solid air: iceburg. No nutrients in there.
VEGETABLES
Chop, chop, chop. The veggies typically buy every week tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, celery, sweet potatoes, carrots, avocado. I like to overload on the seasonal veggies when their time rolls around (I currently am in asparagus gorging season). Vegetables are so nutrient dense and so low in calorie -- there is really no limit on these gals (minus the lovely avocado. You've got to measure out those). Are you a volume eater? Here's your volume, sister!
FRUIT
Now that the weather is thankfully changing I find myself craving light, sweet salads. I love throwing in different fruits into my salad. Again, high in nutrients, high in flavor, but low in calorie. You just can't beat some nice grapes in a salad, I'm sorry.
CHEESE
This is one of the best parts for me: a stab of flavor from a great cheese. The are three of my favorites, however I sometimes will chop up a few cubes of swiss cheese or even slice up one of my kids' string cheeses to throw in there. Yes, there are some serious calories lying in these cheeses so be sure to measure them out every time. I still measure my 1 or 2 tablespoons everyday. I just can't seem to eyeball these portions accurately.
NUTS
Nuts are my reward. I don't throw nuts in every day, but every so often I'll throw in a tablespoon or two. Sunflower seeds, soynuts, and pine nuts are also favorites of mine. If I haven't gotten my flax seed dose for the day, I may sprinkle a tablespoon of that in my salad. These are very high in calorie, but taken in small portions add so much of the healthy, needed fat in our day. Don't be afraid of these, they just need to be enjoyed in small doses.
LEAN PROTEIN

Lean proteins will give your salad the lasting power you need so you won't be hungry again in 30 minutes. I like to vary my proteins every day, because, frankly I get sick of eating the same meats every day. I use a lot of beans and egg whites, as well as using the left over chicken from the night before. I am joining the ranks of tofu eaters (great source of protein!) and when I find some winner tofu ideas, I'll be sure to pass them on! Again, measure out your portions.
DRESSING
Yes, yes, yes. Drizzling a healthy oil, some lemon juice, and spices on a salad is the best way to go to top off your salad. I'm just not digging that (yet). Sorry, folks, I've got to have a little more zing. These salad dressings pictured are rarely used around here, but are for emergencies only. I much prefer to make my own dressings and store them in the refrigerator for a few weeks (that way I avoid the high fructose corn syrup). Some people reward themselves with a new pair of shoes from Nordstroms, I reward myself with making a new salad dressing. I also use salsa a lot as a salad dressing.
Voice of warning: YOU MUST MEASURE YOUR SALAD DRESSING. Just like the cheeses and nuts, salad dressing can be enjoyed in small doses of 1-2 tablespoons. We've all seen people at Sweet Tomato assemble their very healthy salad, then demolish it with a cup of Thousand Island. It's like the horror movie of the salad bar. Just break out with the measuring spoons and keep yourself honest. I still do this every day.
So, I'm sure you are out there reading this and saying, "But what about ________________?" Let us know in the comment section what you can't live without in your salad. And if you are the nicest person in the world and want to pass on your favorite, amazing, it-changed-your-life salad combo, send it my way anytime!

20 comments:
For me, it is essential for the nuts to be toasted. I toast them in the microwave for 10-15 seconds, give them a stir and maybe give them a few more seconds if they need it. The flavor can't be beat!
Also, adding in some torn leaves of basil or mint or cilantro takes an ordinary salad to a new place.
:)
I am a huge eater of the tofu. Love it. I love to pan fry it in a little bit of hoisin sauce until it's brown and crispy all the way around, and it has absorbed all the yummy flavors...droooool! So dang good!
i LOVE to throw cottage cheese on top of it too---GRUB!
im like you and whatever i can find in the fridge--that's going on the salad---love it!
Wow -- three things that I will be trying this week. I LOVE toasted almonds! I forgot about those! Natalie -- thx for the tofu tutorial. I definitely will be doing that one tomorrow.
I second the torn up fresh herbs in the salad. I love cilantro or basil too. I also find that when I do this I need/use far less dressing and it might help get into the oil+lemon juice kick:)
I love cilantro in my salads with fruit. I sometimes will do a lettuce free salad..lots of peppers, red onion, cucumber, tomato, and whatever else I have in the fridge. I like to top my salad with red wine vinegar and balsamic vinegar with oil and seasonings.
I can't even believe this post and all your comments have made me hungry for a salad! Thank you! Just what I needed.
And, I must say, it's asparagus gorging season for me, too. Yummy!
I find it a personal challenge to NOT let any of my veggies go bad. Bring it on, romaine. Give me all you've got, green onions. You will be consumed.
I love this post! I've been eating salad everyday now, and I'll be honest, sometimes I get really sick of it. I just bought some tofu to go in it so I'll have to try the tofu idea too. So excited to spice things up a bit so I don't get board. Keep up the great posts.
I love to make taco salad! I top my greens with some refried beans and onions, tomato, cheese, salsa, and a bit of Guac! Mmmm maybe I will have some for dinner!
One of my fav salads is spring mix greens, red onion, a little crumbled blue cheese, and some nuts with a raspberry viniagrette. Or a balsamic one. SO good.
I make my own vinagrette by combining vinegar (either balsamic or a yummy orange muscat champagne vinegar from Trader Joe's), some oil oil, a little dijon or stone ground mustard, salt and pepper, sometimes a little chopped garlic and shake it up. SO good. And quick.
Such good ideas! I love new salad ideas. Keep them coming.
Right now my favorite dressing for my salad is; cut up strawberries & chopped slivered almonds mixed with some balsamic vinagrette. I can mix a batch up and keep in the fridge for a couple of days.
This helps to take a little of the work and thinking out of my lunch.
I just bought some strawberries -- hallelujah, I could finally afford them and they are actually red (not yellow or green). Brandee - I'm eating your salad manana!
I know this is so nasty... but what about fruit flies? With so much fruit/veggies around the house, do you have a problem? I only ask because as I have been stocking up on more fruit (especially) and veggies, we have had a major infestation. I am about ready to toss or store the rest of the fresh food in the fridge, but I am reluctant because sometimes refrigeration makes the fresh flavors go away... any ideas?
A few questions:
1. What cheese is at the bottom? Blue?
2. Avocados intimidate me. Can you give a tutorial post or email me? How to buy (squishy or not), how to store, how to tell when they are bad, how to cut, etc.
3. Sweet potatoes are new to us too believe it or not. What's the benefit over say.. red potatoes?
To Crystal-
I think the bottom cheese says "crumbled feta".
Ooh! I'm writing down the avocado and sweet potato ideas for future posts. Two of my favs and they deserve their own spotlight. And yes, the bottom one is reduced fat feta. Staple in any fridge, for sure.
I love to had Olives and Sundried tomatoes to my salad. This way I can skip the salt.
Sun dried tomatoes is something I definitely need to try.
I have found the light Cheese Fantisco Salad Dressing from Berenstiens. Love this stuff and only 25 calories for 2 Tbs. I also love putting red onions, jalapenos, pepperchinis (hope I spelled those right) into my salad. This gives it the extra zing I need...LOVE MY SALADS
Post a Comment